It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gps System Dead by 2010. What is the census big deal then?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I read yesterday this news here in Europe that the Gps system will be dead in 2010 cause they are late for maintenance on satellites. i also read they know it since a lot of time and read on this forum in USA they are doing census with GPS.

so my question is...what is the point in placing gps if it will be dead next year?

the news is in italian

www.b2b24.ilsole24ore.com...

can't find an english one

[edit on 22-5-2009 by digitalwarrior]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
GPS isn't gonna die. It MIGHT die, just like the internet's gonna run out of bandwidth in 2010, and the world is gonna end in 2012. Too many people rely on it, they'll find the resources to make sure it stays up and running.

Edit: Article saying we shouldn't be worried: abcnews.go.com...

Edit #2: Article about the internet issue. Once again, I wouldn't be too worried. news.cnet.com...

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Soldat401]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
even If (and that's a big if) the GPS system died, all GPS points are still usable.

Latitude and Longitude has been around long before GPS, so all will not be lost.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

Maybe there's going to be a Magnetic Polar Flip?
thats the only thing I can think of that would destroy GPS; is that what the Myans were talking about

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The GPS System is a US Military System and therefore Europe would have no effect on it. As one of the posters has stated, Latitude and Longitude have been around a long time before GPS. As a side point, the Russians and Chinese have their own GPS systems and we could use these anyway.
But, there may be a sinister undercurrent here. European contractors have secured most of the contracts for Water, Electricity and most Military manufacturing plants in the US. This may be a forewarning of a pre nuclear strike strategy, turning of all infrastructure in the US before the strike. No Power, No Water, No early warning. End Game.
If you don't believe this, case in point: The Chinese altering of Cisco Routers to incorporate a hardwired backdoor. Who knows how many times they have hacked the US Government/Military. And so with the European domination of the services contracts.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

A geomagnetic pole reversal wouldn't destroy satellite based navigation system (the satellites don't rely on earth based magnetism to coordinate data), it would just be "wrong" if you will, as compasses that once pointed north now point south, and east/west, etc.

As far as the Ancient Mayan culture being "seers" of non-earth based navigation technique much less they foreseeing it's demise, that's rubbish. The Mayan culture had 4 separate calendars each denoting either a social or agricultural purpose. Their indifference on using astronomy to further their navigation was on a very high level. Had they their druthers about it, they would prefer to never navigate.

AB1

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
hey thx for the infos guys. however i still don't get why they put gps in your house in USA...what's the point?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

As far as the Ancient Mayan culture being "seers" of non-earth based navigation technique much less they foreseeing it's demise, that's rubbish. The Mayan culture had 4 separate calendars each denoting either a social or agricultural purpose. Their indifference on using astronomy to further their navigation was on a very high level. Had they their druthers about it, they would prefer to never navigate.

Actually I was suggesting that 21 dec 2012, as eluded to by the Mayans as a time of "new beginings"; is maybe a polar flip- so, you can put your claws away now!

new topics

top topics

join