It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Predicted Future With Amazing Accuracy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Have a look at these AT&T commercials from 1993 and tell me it isn't a little spooky:

These are 16 year old predictions!

Consider how accurate most of these are compared to the technology we use today.

Now many of you might say that all of these predictions would or should have been easy to make back in 1993, but it really isn't so. Hindsight is easy, predicting future technological trends isn't. With said hindsight these predictions now seem obvious, but consider how many other technologies have come and gone or never materialized.

Imagine yourself in 1993 attempting to do this, would you have gotten this many right?

Anyhoot, I thought it was pretty cool so I thought I would share.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well, all of those products were in the works with Bell Labs and eventually rolled out to the public when the $$ was available. One thing this commercial doesn't touch on is the explosion in technology with the cell phone. I'm amazed at one device can do now. Many new products are about to be released. One is a small cell base at your home that will boost your phone coverage.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I worked at AT&T back in 1993 and they had the video conferencing phones already. I was one of the people at the office to help them show the customers demos from their remote location.

It was pretty interesting at the time.

A_L

edit for speeling, oops

[edit on 5/22/2009 by another_lurker]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Whats the saying

"the only was to know the future is to control the future"

So you get the drift.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yeah, I'd say they missed the ball with the cell phone. Pretty soon, the iPhone will have almost all the apps mentioned in that commercial all in one device.

The toll thing was a tad off. You don't use a card to ring up your own toll. There's the RFID Toll Tag, or the new vision system by Raytheon which looks at your license plates and sends you a bill.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Argh, you guys are no fun ...

I must be easily impressed I guess.

I really thought it was uncanny how they predicted all this technology 16 years in advance.

Let's try it now ...

Predict 10 technologies that will be common in 16 years.

I surely can't do it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I surely can't do it.

i bet you can, if you look at the technology being used or developed at the moment you can have a guess at what people will pay for and find most useful. my list of technology which is being developed and which i would say will be adopted as soon as it can be marketed would look something like this.

1: HUD style mobile communication
2: mag lev trains, as opposed to planes, for transcontinental travel
3: auto-pilot style control for cars
4: nano technology for medical monitoring and repair.
5: flexible display screens
6: hydrogen fuel cells
7: crystal based memory systems for computers
8: long life extension technologies (200yrs +)
9: reactive protection clothing
10: mechanical muscular reinforcement

i don't know if these things will all be available and popular in ten years but i'ld bet good money on half of them coming to fruition.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

it is interesting, however keep in mind that AT&T are not just some citizen making a prediction. They were (and still are) among the elite "movers and shakers" in the world technology arena. They are part of a small group of companies that can steer humanity with various innovations.

These predictions were nothing more than AT&T giving a hint as to what their R & D was at that time.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
you read 'paris in 1960' by jules verne. i gather he was remote viewing.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

bfft, I knew I could count on you to peel through my seemingly innocuous OP and get to what needed to be said.

reply to post by pieman

pieman, I agree that at least half of those predictions have a good chance of materializing in ten years. A couple of them are already here I believe.

But this was 16 years ago and they got way much more than half right.

Though as furry said, they did have an advantage.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It has been said that the technology that we use today is what the Government/Military had it's hands on and used it at least 20 years ago.

That's why computer technology becomes obsolete almost monthly they release it to us in steps to make the most money.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
When people like this try to predict the future, there is always one thing they miss. Society has to be practical. That's why so many sci fi things like we have seen do not make it, like virtual reality so far, as its not practical to have in the real world so far.

People when trying to predict try to think of things that society can use on mass in practical ways. The best futurists are always the ones who know this. While most people have no understanding of what being practical on a mass scale means.

This is why you see so few sci fi and futurists writers that are any good.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by andy1033]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
like in star trek voyager. bit by bit. dollar by dollar. but,really,check out 'paris in 1960' by jules verne.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Seems to me that was technology that was already there. With what we had then, those particular things weren't so far off... just needed to be fine-tuned.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Funny that despite all the stuff that they predicted in there, they never mentioned something like the internet, which actually existed back then, albeit in a far smaller and less accessible form. That, and the cell phone.

That's kind of something I've noticed. A lot of futurists predict a lot of wacky public and private transportation ideas and such, but they never seem to predict personal electronics. Few people before the 80s thought that it would ever be common for individuals to own a PC.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Argh, you guys are no fun ...

I must be easily impressed I guess.

I really thought it was uncanny how they predicted all this technology 16 years in advance.

Let's try it now ...

I surely can't do it.

Sorry to be a kill joy here. But like I said they were already developed.

Unfortunately I think we are .ed for a huge depression when hyperinflation kicks in later this year and early 2010. this will hamper growth by reducing the revenue to companies like AT&T. I defintely see more integration with personal devices in our daily lives. I can digital camera sales dropping soon as better cameras are rolled out on phones. My phone has a 3.0M pixel phone and it's better than some 5.0M pixel cameras. There's not much I can't do with my phone.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by on_yur_6]

new topics

top topics

join