It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Early Bird Catches the Worm?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
OK what is this saying meant to mean? I am a gardener of sorts in that I sow and I reap, have done my whole existance, but still the meaning behind this rediculous saying evades me!

You know what I think, TPTB came up with it to get some extra work hours out of you. Think about it how many mugs out there have actually gone to work early JUST because of this saying! How do you interpret it?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
In many areas where overnight rain or moisture are common earthworms tend to come to the surface in the early morning. These are usually eaten by various species of birds. Hence the saying.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Dam... beaten to the punch by a crow....
oh well I guess I'm eaten krill instead....

To me it means that there are only so many worms(opportunities) available,and if you are self motivated and make an effort without hesitation, distraction,and being self motivated blaze the trail,you will be rewarded.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
lol, it means that the first person to reach the objective gets the payoff. As in, "First come, first serve."

Or literally that the birds that get up the earliest get the most worms- cause they are all gone by the time the late sleepers get up.

It can mean "Don't procrastinate. Do it now."

And actually the proper saying is

THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM

The Robin is the bird most usually associated with this phrase, because they like to eat worms...

Happy Gardening!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I get the litteral translation thanks. However do any of you have some examples of metaphorically 'catching the worm'?

I guess I want to know just how credible this saying is?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Its also said that while the early bird may catch the worm, its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

new topics

top topics

join