It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist congregation meets every Sunday morning to discuss how they've rejected organized religion

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

*rolls his eyes*
Say hello to your logical fallacy:

argumentum ad ignorantiam

The argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam ("appeal to ignorance" [1]), argument by lack of imagination, or negative evidence, is a logical fallacy in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false, or is false only because it has not been proven true.

The argument from personal incredulity, also known as argument from personal belief or argument from personal conviction, refers to an assertion that because one personally finds a premise unlikely or unbelievable, the premise can be assumed to be false, or alternatively that another preferred but unproven premise is true instead.

Both arguments commonly share this structure: a person regards the lack of evidence for one view as constituting proof that another view is true. The types of fallacies discussed in this article should not be confused with the reductio ad absurdum method of argument, in which a valid logical contradiction of the form "A and not A" is used to disprove a premise.

SOURCE:en.wikipedia.org...

I really do expect better from a group of people that claim to champion rationality, logic and critical thinking.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Watcher perhaps you are misrepresenting my intentions.

To say

"there is no god and I am not willing to accept the possibility of there being one"

is no better than saying

"there is a god and I am not willing to accept the possibility of there not being one"

Would you agree to this?

EITHER way it is a denial of ignorance.

I believe that a person can say

"I believe in or do not believe in BUT I am willing to accept the POSSIBILITY"

And by not saying exactly this is to go against the ATS Motto of

Denying Ignorance

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You did not state your intentions so how can I misrepresent them? You posed a question without stating why you are stating the reasons for said question. I responded accordingly. I have heard the argument before, started just like you posed your questions. So thusly I posted accordingly.
And yes, denying ignorance is a enviable goal, too bad many confuse that with agreeing with them.

Just because there is possibility that those that disagree with you are wrong does not mean your right by default.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I asked a question and you misconstrued that as a statement. Or even further you turned my question into my stating an argument. But you are not even addressing the question just trying to tear it down for what reason I have no idea.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

"there is a god and I am not willing to accept the possibility of there not being one"

Would you agree to this?

EITHER way it is a denial of ignorance.

I believe that a person can say

"I believe in or do not believe in BUT I am willing to accept the POSSIBILITY"

What is ignorance to you would apply in the sense of total lack of understanding.

Here is the definition of ignorance:

Ignorance: "Lacking in knowledge or learning. Lacking special knowledge or information, uninformed or unaware." - Webster's

One person may be enlightened and not NEED to base their whole lives or philosophies on what someone who is unenlightened doesn't know. Not all of us are codependent.

Some are not ignorant of God because He has made himself known to them. It would be like disowning your parent or grand parent, because they are VERY alive to you. There is no questioning for it is not illusive but is very tangible.

You are ignorant in the existence of God because either God has lost interest in you, or you have blocked him. Either way, it is your choice, your road.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Then Deny Ignorance means absolutely nothing to you and this website is here for the sole purpose of reaffirming your beliefs NOT challenging them.

*Rolls Eyes*

Welcome to Hell.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

No, actually, that is not what I am doing. Tell yourself that all you like if you wish. Though I did explain myself rather thoroughly as to what I was doing and to ignore that is your problem.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Then Deny Ignorance means absolutely nothing to you and this website is here for the sole purpose of reaffirming your beliefs NOT challenging them.

*Rolls Eyes*

Welcome to Hell.

I AM showing your ignorance and AM denying it.

You assume you have the measure of what is ignorance, or not?

You assume your way works? I haven't seen any evidence of it!

I don't believe in hell. I am sorry for you.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This thread has been highly entertaining, I love these kinds of debates.

I am still taking the stance that atheism is not a religion and I do not think the definintions from the dictionaries adhere to the atheist model.

Your arguments are highly compelling though. In certain respects, you are correct that a religion does not need a God for it to be called a religion. Just look at Buddhism which has already been mentioned.

I am keeping my viewpoint because the whole idea of religion in my mind is that there are things to worship, supernatural things to believe in, unconfirmed facts to have faith in being true, heirarchal systems to answer to and an afterlife (or some kind of soul transferrance).

Atheism does not comply with any of these. It does not comply with the dictionary definition of religion either.

My mind will not be changed, unless it is stated by law that atheism is a religion.

The fervour with which you try to paint atheism with the religious brush is interesting...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

So many assumptions!

Uneducated? If you say so!

Faith is not a religion. It is a matter for the individual.

All organised religions. including atheism, provide 'comfort'. And all are equally flawed. All feed on human insecurity. My faith allows me a level of personal security that means I can live in the world with only a few personal possessions and gives me the courage to challenge atheists to deny they are in league with satan.

For an atheist, you sure seem to know alot about religion!

(Incidently, if a person 'believes' in weightwatchers etc etc, then that is their religion. If they attend every week, obey all the rituals and seek fellowship with other members, then that is their church. If they feel guilty for breaking any of the rules, that is their faith)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh my God you guys are still flinging poo at each other over this? okay
Atheizm is not a religion - If you apply that same logic to work than your job is a religion. You got to work everyday and have FAITH in the fact you might get a raise or a better job. Sounds retarded? It is.

Atheists- You sound a lot like your christians counterparts when you start posting all about darwin and dawkins. Christians do not believe in the same thing you do GET OVER IT. i think dawkins said it best why don't christians believe in evolution "the same reason you do not believe in zeus"

Christians- You sound a lot like your atheist counterparts when you start posting all about jesus and the bible. Atheists do not believe in the same thing you do GET OVER IT. i think dawkins said it best why don't atheists believe in god "the same reason you do not believe in zeus".

Truth is Atheists can't prove or disproove the existance of God neither can anyone else. Nobody can prove if religion makes a person happy just like science can't prove you love your husband/wife. But as a side note i would find it interesting for an atheist to look into the eyes of his wife and tell her that his attraction to her is ony physical and comes from a result of chemical reactions. Im sure you could prove a method of being asked to sleep a night on a the couch.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

All organised religions. including atheism, provide 'comfort'.

You're an iPuD then (invicible Pink unicorn denialist)
Thats a religion then.

Cant, or wont you understand that a LACK of belief in god is not a religion. That would make lack of belief in the unicorn a religion too, which it surtainly IS NOT.

For an atheist, you sure seem to know alot about religion!

Is there any reason atheists wouldn't know about religion? Many atheists ARE religious. Many others are just knowledgeable. Others used to be religious.

(Incidently, if a person 'believes' in weightwatchers etc etc, then that is their religion. If they attend every week, obey all the rituals and seek fellowship with other members, then that is their church. If they feel guilty for breaking any of the rules, that is their faith)

Of course its not a religion to them. Its MORE important than a religion

Jeez.. one person gets banned (Con Science) and another one appears, just to refuse to deny ignorance, by claiming atheism and iPuD are religions, (and fotball, and work etc.)

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Daniem]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Thank you! This is truly one of the most entertaining and amusing threads I've seen at ATS!!!

The post is about how atheists are meeting on Sunday mornings to discuss how they've rejected organised religion. Any atheist who feels the need to congregate to discuss how God does not exist, is in denial if he thinks he is not religious or does not belong to a church.

As I've never even considered the possibility of pink unicorns, you've provided me with food for thought! I've always believed that ANYTHING that can be imagined in the mind of men, is possible. So, who knows! Perhaps ET, if it exists and plans to visit Earth at any time, will turn out to be pink unicorns!

My beliefs are very personal to me. It is my path. I am not ashamed of it but will not discuss the details as they are personal to me only. You draw too many assumptions from this.

To assume is to be irrational!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

The post is about how atheists are meeting on Sunday mornings to discuss how they've rejected organised religion. Any atheist who feels the need to congregate to discuss how God does not exist, is in denial if he thinks he is not religious or does not belong to a church.

Agreed.

This is a neat 2nd line.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join