It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist congregation meets every Sunday morning to discuss how they've rejected organized religion

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I don't think it would have been as easy to label atheism a religion if its leaders didn't promote it so much as I said in my post earlier.

But they do indeed evangelize! I have many family members who promote their belief every time they visit. They leave pamphlets on the coffee table and create conversations whenever they can, to talk about science vs. God.

They will also share how many skeptic meetings they go to, and how much they love them.

They are so livid regarding God. The irony is; they talk about God (something they claim to not believe in) far more than we do. We try to avoid the subject, but they are insistent.

These conversations are never pleasant with them trying to beat a dead horse. I now avoid the conversations and will leave the room to go onto ATS and talk about it here!

Oh, the ironies!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

not sure that was an example of democracy.
was more of a communist thing, i think.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem

If atheism is a religion, then theists would have no reason to criticise atheism being taught in schools as part of religious education.

They do, it's called evolution

Since you seem to not quite get it yet, let me try to explain:
The difference between "believing there is no God", and "not believing there is a God, is that the first is a belief, the second is a lack of that belief.

and "not believing there is a God is lack of belief? is that what you believe? hehe No No my smug lil atheist, that is not the difference.

One is an unbeliever and the other is a disbeliever and while you are actively disbelieving in God, atheism is most certainly a religion, it's just a little mmm how shall we say,,, unbalanced, not typical, off center, not normal like the word "a-typical" they are like those who aren't real sexy or "A-sexual" regardless of physical or emotional condition, actual sexual history, and marital status or ideological orientation.

To be more specific they are un-even un-balanced off center, lop-sided, crooked, un-even like "asymmetrical" or one might say they are like those given to avoiding association with others or "a-social" but in all seriousness they are as theology or the study of religion would define them as, "a theist" whose theism is without a God or deity or "a-theist."

There are monotheists, deist, pantheist's theist's and atheist but all are some kind of theist in some kind of theology having some kind of theological theistic worldview and philopsophy who usually think they are holier than thou because of that superior philosophy and theirs is "science", something they are as hypocritical about as Christians are morality because atheists are some of the worst at science I have ever met and as unlikely to believe that.

So otherwise you would just be an unbeliever rather than a disbeliever which is what you are and you display all the typical atypical cookie cutter comebacks and snide sarcastic knowitallism about the religion you don't believe you are involved in and the God you hate and take all the time writing posts like yours to convince yourself for another hour in the day there is no God.

prayer, churces, scripture, leaders, belief in supernatural, Afterlife, Lifestyle restrictions (dress, diet, marriage), Blasphemy etc..

No that is doctrine sort of like that stuff sam harris does or Dickie Dawkins and your chants are similar too.

If atheism is a religion then NOT collecting stamps is a hobby may sound like a clever comeback but like most of that silly semantically languaged lingo authored by their God named legion.

If collecting stamps were a religion and stamps was the God, then atheist's would be spending there day ridiculing stamp collectors and trying to get everyone to quit collecting stamps while they would employ the ACLU to sue the post office for offending them having someone put a stamp on their mail.

And THAT, my cynical atheist friend, would be the atheist's Hobby or "a-hobby" to the hobbyists hobby of collecting stamps.

I star and flag the OP whose been dead on about his observations about life in general while having you pegged to a tee

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Con Science]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Apparently, Atheism has its own definition of free speech: When I attack you, it's just scientific criticism. When you attack me, you should be BEATEN AND EXECUTED.
Free thinker also means you need to read the book of Drawin and the book of Dawkins.It also means your thoughts are not bound by religion which is what makes a free thinker free. However, your though should be bound by science so you may need to stay in the loop as science is constantly changing so as a free thinker you should always read up so you are sure of what to believe in.So posting about some scientific theory that was disproven may make you look like one of those sheep religion people.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by The Mack]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Con Science

One is an unbeliever and the other is a disbeliever and while you are actively disbelieving in God, atheism is most certainly a religion, it's just a little mmm how shall we say,,, unbalanced, not typical, off center, not normal like the word "a-typical" they are like those who aren't real sexy or "A-sexual" regardless of physical or emotional condition, actual sexual history, and marital status or ideological orientation, seem to prefer not to engage in sexual activity." To be more specific they are they are un-even un-balanced off center, lop-sided, crooked, un-even like "asymmetrical" or one might say they are given to avoiding association with others or a-social but all seriousness they are as the theology or study of religion would define them as a theist whose theism is without a God or a-theist.

Ah, very good!

And for a religion they certainly talk about that which they don't believe in - a lot! I never talk about the tooth fairy, it is not something that exists to me, so I am not threatened if someone said they believed in the tooth fairy.

Just as I believe in Gods - I do not expect so many knickers to get in a pinch, because I do. So I truly believe there is much behind their denial.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I do not for one minute believe that atheists are free thinkers, quite the opposite. They are more boxed than the average person because so much depends on strictly facts, and left brained logic.

"I have known a lot of atheists, but I have never known a happy one!" - Dolly Parton

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

I think if Tooth Fairy followers were placing headlines at the top of Classified War Documents talking about the "The Great Moler will fall from the Jaw of the Infidel and through coins placed under pillows we will previal" you might take more interest in talking about your lack of belief in the tooth fairy.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well i think the whole saying atheism is a religion is retarded but probably one of the most easiest ways to troll atheists. As you can tell by their evangelical posting styles the are probably the easiest group on the planet to troll.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

I think if Tooth Fairy followers were placing headlines at the top of Classified War Documents talking about the "The Great Moler will fall from the Jaw of the Infidel and through coins placed under pillows we will previal" you might take more interest in talking about your lack of belief in the tooth fairy.

I think you have to choose your poison.

A lot depends on how unsettling you want your life to be. If taking up the anti-God cause is what atheists want to do, then they need to accept the label. Ie, Evangelical Atheist! Own it with pride, rather than denial.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

yes yes we can always talk about science and darwinism, perhaps some godless leader like stalin might experiment in eugenics as hitler did. Or make another Bomb like the one science brought to destroy japan

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Mack

Well i think the whole saying atheism is a religion is retarded but probably one of the most easiest ways to troll atheists. As you can tell by their evangelical posting styles the are probably the easiest group on the planet to troll.

Whatever works, eh?

They are not victims, but volunteers. I won't be a bleeding heart for them.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Mack

they are the antithesis of each other in action and deed one is right and one is wrong but they are both wrong to the other and they are both the same to me.

The only difference is I love the lord and he loves me

They hate the lord and

the lord loves them

anyway

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Con Science

yes yes we can always talk about science and darwinism, perhaps some godless leader like stalin might experiment in eugenics as hitler did. Or make another Bomb like the one science brought to destroy japan

I have yet to see an Atheist leader of AMERICA do these atrocities of which you speak.

What is that called Strawberryman or something like that? I talk about what our last president did less than a year ago and you scream LOOK AT HITLER! WOOHAA LOOK OVER THERE AT HITLER! instead of addressing what I was referring to. Cute. The old smoke and mirrors trick.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I have yet to see an Atheist leader of AMERICA do these atrocities of which you speak.

Oh, please! Give us some wood so we can build you a cross. Better yet, we'll make you an inflatable cross for the martyr on the move!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet

Oh, please! Give us some wood so we can build you a cross. Better yet, we'll make you an inflatable cross for the martyr on the move!

I do not understand. What are you trying to say. What does the cross have to do with what we are talking about? What is the inflatable cross? I am kind of lost here. Like an insult? Or is that a quote? I do not get it. Martyr on the move?

WAT

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

whenever a thread contains people from two sides of an argument, the people of the opposing side, will assume any arguments posted to defend your shared position are equally shared, believed and argued across all people of your belief system on the thread. so if one who shares your opinion uses say....the inquisition, as an example for how bad christianity is, the opposition will assume you would as well. the argument then is, if you believe the inquisition is an example of an entire belief system and all its various branches, you must think in STEREOTYPES. so the response is stereotyped for your convenience

[edit on 23-5-2009 by undo]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Fortunatley for you we live in a christian nation and most of that stuff is against our constitution in Government

What is that called Strawberryman or something like that? I talk about what our last president did less than a year ago and you scream LOOK AT HITLER! WOOHAA LOOK OVER THERE AT HITLER! instead of addressing what I was referring to. Cute. The old smoke and mirrors trick.

I didnt use all the exclamation you did nor was I screaming but you prove the op's point, while it is ok for you to bring up the old 911 canard or how many have died in religions name, you get angry when I do it about stalin or hitler. It sounds to me like this happened to you before but I can assure you it was not me that did it the last time.

you are what you hate most in us so my tactic worked

and you bit on the strawberry bait

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Con Science]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

So I just got stereotyped? Ouch. In my heart of hearts I never thought it would have happened here.

Deny Stereotyping.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Con Science

Here is how the conversation went down con in case you missed it.

Matrix was talking about a group of Atheists getting together to talk about their lack of belief in a god

He said Why would a group of people get together to talk about their lack of belief in a god (but he used the tooth fairy as a substitute) What could they be afraid of from something they do not believe in?

I made the comment that by substituting the Tooth Fairy in place of God and changing the Scripture on the headlines of Classified War papers to represent the Tooth Fairy they DO have something to come together and talk about and to be afraid of.

Then Con you came in and said HITLER!

LOL I do not know what to say.

You are basically saying "Oh you said negative things about Cheney putting religious quotes onto the headlines of Classified War Documents and trying to portray him in a negative light!"

Then you threw Hitler into the Mix to show that Atheists have done bad things in the past? So by saying Hitler did bad things and he was an Atheist you are saying that Atheists have no reason to come together and talk about something like the Cheney War religious paper quotes?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

we all share one intrinsic thing in common .... we are all equally hypocritical at various times and in various ways. ain't a form of government or belief system on this planet that doesn't have this problem. and that's one stereotype you can take to the bank.

of course, we should be working to rise above it, and sometimes we are successfully less hypocritical than others.

this, i think, is why jesus says.......
ain't no body good, 'cept for god. (paraphrased, of course)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join