It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a picture of water on mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thank you for clearing that up mate, i wish they would use colour imaging. Especially in this day of age.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why is it so important that we see ice that is melted? We know ice melts at 1 Celcius. We know there is ice. So wherever the ice gets over 0 Celcius there will be water.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Nice picture, but instead of trying to focus on possible water, has anyone else noticed the rock formations in the foreground? Looks like wind-eroded shale to me, and if it is (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't that indicative of silt deposits (indicating the pre-existence of water in an earlier time?) Or if it's oil shale which tells of degraded plant/animal proteins?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XeonSky

Looks interesting, I must agree that its not the same colour as the surrounding area. Looks like a tidal pool that has dried out, there are other areas that look as if they are arid water tracts.
Theres gotta be water there somewhere,(In bodies) -only if small.

jra

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
i wish they would use colour imaging. Especially in this day of age.

Well there isn't really a need for it since it provides no scientific value. Also, I believe black and white images are used on purpose. A B&W image is going to be smaller in file size (256 shades of grey versus a 24bit color image with 4.2 billion colors), so it won't take as long to transmit all the way back to Earth.

However, with that said. The next mars rover, which is called, the Mars Science Laboratory will be able to take true colour images.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I collected these links from various places over the last few years and i would like to know if looks as much like water to you as it does to me. All pictures are directly linked to the Malin space science site so they are about as 'original' as they will likely be seen.

Enjoy!

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

--------

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...