It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah school forces student to change out of kilt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Gavin says he wore the kilt twice in the past two weeks to Rocky Mountain Junior High as a prop for an art project. Jessop told the boy that the outfit could be misconstrued as cross-dressing.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

These dress code rules are getting ridiculous. As long as it wasn't revealing, why is wearing a kilt any different than wearing shorts? My first problem is that if he wore the kilt twice, and his school had an issue, why did they wait until the second time he wore it to let him know? I could not find the school's dress code policy online, but most schools do not have any rules against guys wearing kilts. If girls can wear pants, and I know it's cliche, but guys should be able to wear appropriate kilts or one-legged-pants type outfits as well. I'm sure it wasn't bothering anyone and unless he had his hair in pigtails and was wearing lipstick, I don't consider this to be cross-dressing at all.

Sometimes I think schools let girls let away with more in terms of dress code. I know that my school supposedly has a code against tank tops and short shorts and miniskirts, but I see this type of dress every single day and the girls never get in trouble. But when some guys wore their bathrobes to school on a spirit day, there was this whole big uproar from the administration. At my school, girls are even permitted to wear leggings without skirts or dresses on.

And this case is especially wrong because he was wearing the kilt for a project. That's pretty weak for the school to criticize him for that. I seriously don't consider this cross-dressing, and with the quality of education in the USA I feel like schools should be worrying about more important issues.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
And, it's incredibly silly to call a kilt 'cross dressing'. People are ignorant, particularly when throughout history, men have worn 'skirts' as much as women have.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
as long as he's wearing under ware I don't see what the problem could be. It's a friggen Kilt-not a skirt. and if you think it's for sissys or crossdressers than tell that to a scottsman. he'll probably punch you though.

Kilt cultural heritage of some. unwise for the school to get upset over it.

Also, even if he was crossdressing...so what. it's the 21st century it's his perogative. just wear underwear.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
yeah you'd think that men with their genetilia on the outside would reguire more room and hence skirts would be more popular with men. That or MC hammer pants. not sure which one would be the worse alternative.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Cross dressing? Now I'm insulted, I have worn a kilt once or twice as a kid and my grandfarther would wear one regularly at the meetings and functions.

Do the girls at that school wear trousers? Well that's just wrong, they should be in a dress and behind the kitchen sink (joking)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

That kids family just one the lottery. They are going to win a huge lawsuit over this. Especially if they say it is a cultural thing for their family.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I think if girls can wear pants without an issue, guys should wear kilts without one. Or skirts. Or one-legged-pants. Or whatever. Many of my friends have worn kilts before in public and it's not a huge deal.

And the thing is, even if he was cross-dressing, what are they going to do... expel him?

The unfair part is girls cannot cross-dress. They can wear a jersey and jeans and sneakers and it's not even a trillionth of an issue. It's perfectly fine.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

It was for a school project, too!! It's not like he was wearing it to be dumb or immature. Kilts are expensive, anyway. You don't just buy one to be a jerk about it. If he was being well behaved, this shouldn't be a problem at all.

If I were his parents, I would totally sue that school. That's discrimination for CLOTHING.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I agree.. he should be able to wear whatever he wants as long as it isnt showing anything inappropriate. How stupid do you have to be to think someone wearing a kilt is cross-dressing?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
MAN!!! I WISH I could get someone to do this to me... I'd be rich enough to buy 50 kilts..

He should sue the crap out of these people.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
As a kilt is traditional MALE clothing item,what sort of logic or ignorance does a school use to call A BOY wearing one a crossdresser?

Clan McClellen here, and my big manly husband wears a kilt, along with his (Crossdressing?)firefighter friends playing the pipes at City Haul.

Wonder if they ever take the kids to memorial day field trips at this school.

Think ON

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Try to wear a kilt and use a urinal...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by arxgen

I do that all the time during Scarborough Faire here in Texas. Wearing a kilt actually makes it easier to use a urinal, IMHO. I think this school administration is just ignorant and backwards. It is Utah, after all. It wasn't that long ago that women in that state HAD to wear dresses, after all.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm not Scottish, but if I were, I'd be offended that they would misconstrue a wearing a kilt for cross dressing. It's like telling someone they can't wear a turban because they might be misconstrued as a terrorist. I can't say I'm too surprised that this would come out of Utah though.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Clan McClellen here, and my big manly husband wears a kilt, along with his (Crossdressing?)firefighter friends playing the pipes at City Haul.

You lucky girl!

I was watching the trailer for Angels and Demons the other day. I read the book which wasn't much kop so I wasn't planning on seeing the film...until...Ewan MacGregor in a cassock! That's several fantasies rolled into one. Men should wear skirts and/or kilts all the time, it should in fact be compulsory and will be when I rule the world.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Hey KilgoreTrust. Um, how do I vote for you again? The voting machines were confusing.
I actually wish sometimes that I could wear a utili-kilt to work, but they would probably think it unprofessional and what not.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Call these guys cross dressers - they can go to the armoury and draw out a weapon!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/462eb17ab64e.jpg[/atsimg]

It's a kilt... If you wear something under it that's when it becomes a skirt

new topics

top topics

join