It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H1N1 hits South Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I know that there are a few SA'ers on the board here - thought they might find this interesting

SA Health said test results received late yesterday had confirmed that the Eynesbury College student has the Human Swine Influenza, Influenza A (H1N1).

She was treated with antivirals when she visited a general practitioner on Tuesday.

Two other family members had mild respiratory symptoms and were also given antivirals as a precaution. It was not yet known if they have the virus, and the family is in home isolation. No other details about their identities was released.

A seven-day isolation order was issued for all college students and teachers, requiring all of them to stay in their homes. There are about 40 other children in the student's year 10 class.

The Health Department has confirmed that the infected student had recently revalled interstate, but details of where she went are not available.

more here: www.news.com.au..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.news.com.au...

For those who aren't familiar with Adelaide - it's relativley small capital city (approx 1.5mil) and the college is in the heart of the CBD and students regularly visit the Central Markets and Chinatown for lunch - not to mention all the shopping precincts that they frequent during their breaks or after school.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Aussie Nutter...I am also from Australia and I am over the scare mongering that is going on in our country over what I simply label a strain slighter worse than the common cold.

If th virus was so SCARY why are those diagnosed with this major illness sent home to watch Neighbours and play PS2?????

I am over Governments and their related bodies trying to scare me and all of my neighbours into thinking that the world is caving in.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Fair enough, friend, although I seem to think that it has been very under-reported my the mainstream media here. I may be wrong as I work erratic hours (2 day shift, 2 night shift and 1 12hr shift) and don't often have the time to catch either the print or TV news.

I do believe, however, that there is potential for an pandemic (despite what is being said in US media) when Winter comes into full effect in mid-July.

Also, I thought that a few of the South Aussies might like to hear about it - if they haven't already.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Fair enough as well, friend, but this is my own opinion....this swine flu reared its head a week out from the US Markets releasing data which would either make or break their economy.........when it was released and thankfully was not as bad as first thought, it made hardly a blip on the radar becuase the world was caught up in a possible world pandemic.

Remeber SARS and Bird Flu which was peddled as disaster waiting to happen when it hit our shores.......we lived in fear for so long it effected our way of life a tourism was hit bad becuase people again were too scared to travel.

Call me a cynic but I beleive this is a beat up to take our minds off the bigger issues at the moment and it is working.

Keep safe.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
G'Day HappyG

If you have a read of the info at this link:

H1N1 for Australians

it contains the reason why they are isolating those infected and those they have come in contact with.

If, and thats a BIG if, we can keep this from spreading to far, to fast, just maybe, the Gov will be able to keep it under control.......Do not like their chances though!!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Hi there LenGXV6...they are valid points,but I am acually disputing the severity of Swine Flu....

Australia is a very isolated country and free of most majors issues (thank god) where is the America's are not. How many deaths have there actually been from Swine Flu????? Compare that to the number of real deaths related to influenza on a daily basis.

My whole point is that the Govt and the Media who love to keep us frozen in fear have grabbed hold of this illness and blown it out of proportion.

How many life threatening diseases are there in the world that allow the patient to go home and watch TV.....please...if this was a major they would be in hospital in ICU.

I need to be convinced and to date nobody has done that.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I doubt we will find out what the real numbers are for America, but you do raise a good point.

what is the comparison of deaths between influenza strains?

Our Gov (Federal) has all ready implemented all that needs to be done for now, our only problem is that the state gov are now screwing it up. The media is allowed at the moment to report this any way they choose, however, if we go to the next level, then they will have to toe the party line.

I do not know if this is going to be "life Threatening" (will be for some, but not the many) however they do need to be prepared for upwards of 30% of the work force out of action due to sickness, and I think this is what our Gov is looking at.

top topics

join