It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan; An Awesome Warning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Poor old Japan, a place very close to my heart, where I spent 23 moslty-delightful years...A canary in the coal mine for the rest of the world, it seems, and one very coal-dusty canary at that.

An awesome warning: Japan's brutal economic decline has been brought about by circumstances very similar to those now emerging in Britain

Japan, the world's second largest economy, by the end of this year will have experienced a decline in its national output of 10% from the peak in 2008. Figures announced yesterday show that in the first three months of this year output fell by 4%. This is the fastest rate of decline since the war; overall it is the biggest decline of any major economy since the US economy contracted by a quarter during the Great Depression.

Japan's travails closely impact on us. It is a major locomotive of the world economy; its problems are everyone's. Japan's output has now fallen so far that it has lost all the gains it made since 1992. Brutally, it has lost two decades. You have to shake your head at the horror of it – another sobering example of the dark times in which we are living.

Much more depressing news at the source:
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 5/21/09 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
That's what you get if you just depend on other countries.

Thought when it comes to adaptation and survival, count on the Japanese. They're not like fat and dumb Americans who'll keep whining and whining "hey, I'm entitled to this." "The government should give me that." blah, blah...

At least the French have the audacity to protest.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by eldard]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Hey don't beat about the bush.
Tell us how you really feel about us Fat Lazy Americans.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Excuse me eldard, but I am not a fat or dumb American who asks my government for any kind of a hand out. I am a hard working American, and I pay my own damned way thank you. and I also care about the state of those in Japan, the land where my sisters are natives, you are so wrong to generalize Americans in this way, it is only a percentage of those who draw government checks and 'whine' that they are entitled to government help, which by the way, they ARE entitled to.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is only the beginning. Definitely scary and surreal to watch. I fear we have little time left.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

To me this is just more doom and gloom journalism. Sadlly a product of the "modern" western society we live in. If my memory servers me correctly; didn't Japan have a humongous collapse in the early ninety's? It's more of the same "sky is falling, sky is falling" attitude that is affecting more and more people everyday.

Yes the world economy is bad right now. Yes there are a lot of people suffering (how many though do we personally know?). Humanity will bounce back from this, And if we don't that just means that it is time for "us" to leave.

The Earth will always win no matter what. "We" are just bugs compared to the big picture of the universe. Nothing we humans do really means anything at all.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disenfranchised

To me this is just more doom and gloom journalism. Sadlly a product of the "modern" western society we live in. If my memory servers me correctly; didn't Japan have a humongous collapse in the early ninety's? It's more of the same "sky is falling, sky is falling" attitude that is affecting more and more people everyday.

Well, numbers are numbers. True, they are often (or perhaps always?) doctored for various reasons, but the downdraft is very real.

As to the actual impact on people's lives, I will definitely agree with you that it SEEMS to have been more minimal than you'd guess if you read all the press stories about Japan's demise from the past 15 years or so. That is to say, the trains still run on time, things are pretty squeaky-clean in most parts of Tokyo, the department stores are still filled with glittery things, and the bars and restaurants (most of them, anyway) seem noisy and boisterous as ever on a Friday night. And so on. Nobody in Japan starves to death, and there are far fewer homeless or true poverty cases than in America and many (most?) parts of Europe.

But there are hard numbers to consider...Japan is mostly volcanic rock with a shallow overlay of poor soil. It imports more than half its food and a staggering 99% of its energy in the form of fossil fuels. Every year, Tokyo ALONE uses up an amount of resources and energy equivalent to THREE TIMES what can be gained from THE ENTIRE NATION of Japan itself. Clearly, this is a highly unsustainable and vulnerable situation.

I can think of no advanced nation that is more dependent on trade with the outside world for its day-to-day survival...never mind the relative luxury and splendor (compared to most of the planet) it has become accustomed to. True, most Japanese people live in tiny houses/apartments compared to the west...but a Manhattanite could definitely relate to the lifestyle of a Tokyoite.

I'm told the decay is more severe and quite in-your-face in the medium-to-smaller-sized cities, i.e., once you get out of Tokyo. Miles of streets with shuttered stores, gloomy lines of day-labororers looking to be picked for a day's wages, and so on. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

What I can say with certainty, however, is that Japan's long, slow, lurching but gentle downwards trajectory has taken an ugly thump down a notch or two this year...the decline has become much less gentle and more "free-fall-ish." Something will change soon. Japanese history is a series of mostly stable periods punctuated by sharp, savage episodes of dislocation and change, usually marked by extreme violence, chaos, and slaughter. It is my profound hope that another one of those is not on the horizon.

[edit on 5/22/09 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

You are pretty much spot on about Japan all the way. At the same time though this sounds just like the majority of industrialized nation members of the IMF. Japan will definitely bounce back from all of this. Their leaders are poised and "self-focused" on their homeland. Japan holds a huge trump card in their hand and that is electronics.

Japan is in much, much better off shape than The U.S.A. is. The US is more or less queued up to fail. We are more or less strangle held on economies to still used the dollar in trading. We've lost pride in our work and have nothing to sell to the rest of the world now.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Thought when it comes to adaptation and survival, count on the Japanese. They're not like fat and dumb Americans who'll keep whining and whining "hey, I'm entitled to this." "The government should give me that." blah, blah...

What are you talking about?

Your views on the situation seem to be slightly mad.. or else I am picking you up completely wrong... which has been known to happen

If there was no such thing as export economies, trade agreements etc etc, none of us would be as wealthy as we are or live in the advancements we do.

If you pay taxes.. you have entitlements.. simple as... even if you are fat and lazy

Anyone who doesn't get these are being robbed by their government.

The french protest because they are they pioneers of the modern democratic republic and because they are lucky enough to have a government that is scared of its people

Japan will be a roaring economy in the next five years.. once China and India become consumer markets like us, the world will have a boom like we have never seen before..

And then another massive crash

[edit on 22/5/09 by Dermo]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
This is only the beginning. Definitely scary and surreal to watch. I fear we have little time left.

What? I thought you're quite optimistic that the NWO is gonna collapse from within?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disenfranchised

That collapse was caused by the same circumstances as with 1929. But Japan was still able to depend on exporting to save them.

Not this time.

This is reality. Learn the facts first before you dismiss things as just doom mongering. Besides, if one loses his job, has the sky really not fallen?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Um, I'm not a fat or dumb American. I've never taken a cent from the government ever except my tax refund check every year which I am entitled to since I work my a$$ off.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Chances are you would not exist without what us Fat American's did for the World long ago. You would be mining a asteroid in space somewhere speaking German and being a Monkey slave.

I suggest you watch your slimy tongue.

Yes to get back on topic, the markets are so off reality, that its only a matter of little time before it all comes crashing down.. The numbers are way to high, being manipulated as well, the World is really about to stop, break down and demand a repair.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adrifter
Chances are you would not exist without what us Fat American's did for the World long ago. You would be mining a asteroid in space somewhere speaking German and being a Monkey slave.

I suggest you watch your slimy tongue.

Oh, gee. It's as if you didn't purposely steer the Lusitania into the firing line so you could enter WWI.

The Russians were more than enough to keep the Nazis in check, thank you very much.

And stop taking credit for your fine ancestors. They're dead or old. Kinda like what your country is now.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

respect my ancestry but not me.

That says it all.

I have those same values and ideals, and I understand liberty, something it appears you think you do not have to swear to.. Your attempt to undermined my way of thinking as an American is something I am ashamed of about you, when it is this World we have by my ancestry and our sacrifices from our loved ones provided you the choice to make this opinion about our freedoms. I guess communism in WWII was better then democracy. I see being ruled by Stalin, would have been better for Europe. I think the French and the Germans would argue that point.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I think Japan's economy was sucked dry by bankers using the same milking stratagy we Americans used. I am dating a banker, sleeping with the world's enemy.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I am quite certain they are going to use an economic collapse to their full advantage, and I am optimistic if not hopeful it will not bring about their desired results.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Poor old Japan, a place very close to my heart, where I spent 23 moslty-delightful years

I was there for three years. I loved the food. The people were great. The kids were fun .. all trying out their english and all wanting to touch my very blond hair while I road the trains. TOKYO was fun. The ancient cemetaries and buildings were fantastic.

The air pollution was HORRID.

The people of Japan were some of the nicest I have ever met.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join