It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Announces Review of Classification Policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Obama Announces Review of Classification Policies

www.fas.org

“We are launching a review of current policies by all of those agencies responsible for the classification of documents to determine where reforms are possible,” announced President Obama in a speech at the National Archives today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
About time!

I have no illusions about Obama and am far from thinking he is the new messiah, but hopefully some added transparency might help keep the bastards honest. That and we want some disclosure dammit!

The President also indicated that an ongoing review of the use of the state secrets privilege was “nearing completion.”

“On all of these matters related to the disclosure of sensitive information, I wish I could say that there is a simple formula. But there is not. These are tough calls involving competing concerns, and they require a surgical approach.”

Fingers crossed.

www.fas.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan

About time!

I have no illusions about Obama and am far from thinking he is the new messiah, but hopefully some added transparency might help keep the bastards honest. That and we want some disclosure dammit!

Depends on the "transparency". I mean, he just can't go along and declas everything.

But then again, downgrading everything would make it easier for Biden!

[edit on 21-5-2009 by jerico65]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Since he wouldn't even declassify memos detailing the Bush administration officials using illegal tortuous "Interrogation tactics" to gather intelligence, or his stance on the matter, this reflects on the transparancey we'll be getting.

Which obviously wont be much.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
You can say whatever you want about Obama but you have to admit he stays busy and gets # done. The past President didn't accomplish this much in his entire eight years and so far Obama hasn't been seen "takin' vacations" yet.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I don't believe that there will be any official disclosure of UFO or ET material for two reasons. One, most if not all UFO material is held by private " skunk works" corporations ; freeing the government's hands from the Freedom of Information Act..www.examiner.com... Two, if this material were released it would ultimately lead to the government's secret space program.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You know what's really funny?

This is coming from the man whose records and past are all being withheld, whose administration publishes classified documents regularly, and leaks secrets like a sieve.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is surprising considering how many lawsuits have been thrown out or lawmakers payed off to make lawsuits go away. Where this will end up going who knows. Deregulation of the private sector this should be interesting to see where it all pans out. How will the private sector take to being a public entity Im not sure it will go over with people in skunk works and other agencies.

Its a large mine field on a issue like this for a number of reasons not excluding the fact that there are private sector entities that will want to remain outside the scope of the public sector im not sure if this is a attempt by the private sector to take over the government or the government to take over the private sector.

Surely theres going to be people in the secret government that are going to have a feild day with this article. This is something that should have taken place 50+ years ago there's no need for any of this classification anymore. With some minor execptions of chorse.

Falcon

new topics

top topics

join