It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Weimar Hyperinflation: Time to get out the wheelbarrows?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

That's funny. I also call my stash "War Food" I even stocked up on a case of hard liquor for bartering if need be.

I didnt write any survival threads but learned tons of valuable information from them.

My 2 favorite survival books are "When Hell breaks loose" and Army survival guide. I got them both on amazon.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BrainPower

I wouldnt quite worry yet. If we have a 20% annual inflation rate it would take 2 or 3 years to hit Hyperinflation.

Anything could set it off sooner but I'm hoping it will be a slow transition. Yes the survival threads are great.

I buy a 50 pound bag of rice for 20.00. To store food for long term storage you should search the internet. Youtube has some good food storage videos.

Dont forget hard candy, they call it psychological survival food, as well as lots of spices and household bleach to disinfect drinking water.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

thanks! i am still a little worried that all this money i have been putting back in the bank will become more and more worthless. i am wondering though...if this situation arises, what kind of limits would be placed on families living on-post on military installations. im not even sure if i would be allowed to grow a garden in my own yard. i cant have a gun in my home. it has to be locked up in the arms room and is subject to the same type of accountability as a military firearm.

ill definitely have to stock up on the hard candy. JOLLY RANCHERS!!!

btw, i friended you, i hope you dont mind.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
oh, also, you shouldnt have to pay for any army publications. you should be able to download all army TM's and FM's in pdf format...especially the survival ones. im sure yall wouldnt be interested in ones dealing with things like the wear and appearance of military uniforms.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Jolly Ranchers work good! Yes it's nice to be your friend. I bought the Army field manual and stuck it in my Bug out Bag, if worst comes to worst.

I already live rural so would hopefully miss all the chaos in a populated area.

My Grand-Parents had lots of stories about the Great Depression and outgrowing their shoes and had to go bare footed. They nor us have ever experienced hyperinflation. I would hope it doesnt get that bad.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I only liked the book itself because it showed quick methods of making shelter, cold weather survival, etc. It is nice to have one from the army.

I noticed that most info out of other survival books I have use the Army Field manual as a reference.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The Nightmare German Inflation

Foreword: The many parallels between 1924 Germany and present-day United States are cause for concern. Though the U.S. has not yet reached the depths to which Germany descended in that era, few can look at the constant depreciation of the dollar since the early 1970's and fail to be alarmed. It seems contemporary America differs from 1924 Germany only in the duration between cause and effect. While the German experience was compressed over a few short years, the effects of the American inflation have been more drawn out.

In my view, this has occurred for two good reasons:

First, American central bankers have learned enough from the German experience to delay and extend the consequences of printing too much fiat money.

Second, Germany was a small state isolated from the rest of the world, a pariah nation of sorts following World War I. As a result, it had a difficult time finding a market for its government bonds. German deficits had to be financed internally -- a difficulty which greatly accelerated the printing of fiat currency.

www.usagold.com...

This is a long article and gives more comparisons to Germany and our current economy.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is a thread in which the subject matter is very important.

And yet, it hasn't gotten very much attention. Perplexing.

People will cover up "I looked into the mirror this morning and had shapeshifted into an alien cystal child but it's probably because I ate two cheeseburgers, used a floridated toothpaste, and it's inherently Obama's fault anyway" with stars and flags.

Sigh.

Thanks again Wonderworld, for reminding us of what (may be, but I hope not, although it is probably inevitable) is coming.

Your thoughts alone were valuable to me.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
this is nonsense

there is no hyperinflation in the USA.......not even CLOSE

there is a POTENTIAL for Inflation but first BANKS HAVE TO LEND.....

the fed can ELEctronically type in as many $$$ as they like this doesn't = hyperinflation......these electronic entry's can go POOF.......tangible printed currency like in weimar germany does not go poof......understand the difference.....also they can electronically print as many as they want but unless banks LEND this in to existance ...it is not even inflationary get it?

to get any dang inflation the banks have to lend it out... or the fed has to print 1000 dollar bills take your pick....

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Thank you, You are very kind.

I put it out there for education purposes, as many have never heard of this. They only think of Zimbabwe and even then many do not understand or think it could ever happen to us.

I pray it doesnt.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Like Ive stated before; this could happen to us and most likely will. We have an increase in interest rates, unemployment, rising food costs.

Just a 20% annual inflation would lead to Hyperinflation in a very short time.

No one want it to happen but we are not immune to it. T

he printing presses are still rolling out the dough, as happened in Germany experimenting with the printing of money.

There are many comparisons if you read the link.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by cpdaman

Like Ive stated before; this could happen to us and most likely will. We have an increase in interest rates, unemployment, rising food costs.

Just a 20% annual inflation would lead to Hyperinflation in a very short time.

No one want it to happen but we are not immune to it. T

he printing presses are still rolling out the dough, as happened in Germany experimenting with the printing of money.

There are many comparisons if you read the link.

strongly disagree check out germany's unemployment rate during the hyperinflation

just a 20% inflation?.....do you think house prices will be inflating.................no .....they fall to 3x income.....

did you read the part where Germany printed actual tangible dollars that you can hold in your hand......

america electronically types in credit to back up the black hole of deleveraging credit......... that is like night and day

Banks need to lend to incite inflation......never mind hyperinflation

when the gov't nationalizes banks or create's "good bank's" then we will see more agressive lending.......or when the dollar is sold all of a sudden by foreign central banks....don't hold your breath

in the meantime....i think any excess liquidity will flow into certain assets like stock's especially in emerging markets.....i think we will see unheard of P/E ratio's in such markets......

dollar weakness could lead to consumer price increases in gold, oil, and stocks.....i think in the U.s.A alot of this will depend on wether Bernanke decided to allow the fed to buy more treasury's

[edit on 7-6-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
When the boom happened just a few years ago out here in Alberta, inflation was at all time high compared to previous booms in the province. Everything cost more then from food to houses also rent here was horrible, for example a one bedroom apartment in 2004 was $390 then in 2006 it was just $800 a month not including utilties.

But if hyperinflation where to come in I'd be done for because now I have to pay for my own prescripton coverage and on top of that I still have my credit card bills to pay off. I think either way the people will have to bow down to the one world currency system because the dollar in certain places has lost it's overall value. Canada still hasn't even caught up to the American dollar that's how bad it has become and it will get worse.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
It has taken over a decade to get into this mess, and it's going to take just as long or longer to dig out of it.

I don't see how we can avoid it. I can feel it coming, and I see evidence of it every time I go to the grocery store. It's creeping up on us, and the sad part about it is, there is not a darn thing we can do about it on a personal level.

Not only the grocery store....my co-pay at the pharmacy goes up gradually, simultaneously with the insurance premium going up. ?? I don't have to spell it out. Any consumer can see it for themselves.

Remember the frog in the hot water....it happens so gradually he's cooked before he realizes what's happened.

I'm truly not an alarmist. NOT. But I'm afraid this is going to happen
in the next few years.

Sigh.

Edited to make:

heavy sigh.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

There are some differeces in Germany and the US but more comparable issues that should not be dismissed.

We are not imune to this. I hope it doesnt get that bad, Take a lot around, Wall Street, Main Street, banking, AIG, Lehman, GM.

It all adds up.

The nimber one comparison was the experimenting with worthless printed money.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Oil

Now it seems the IMF will tell you how much value your dollar has. Canadian or otherwise. All this combined is alarming.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

yes It's alarming for all of us. who would have imgined in 2007 that this would paly out.

Have you noticed over the years they have made the paper gtocery bags smaller so it still seems er are getting 20.00 worth of food a bag. The baf is now half size.

How sad and deceptive.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
In my opinion, inflation is just another form of tax, but without the shock factor attached in the short term. We are used to prices increasing, if the Fed can print a few hundred billion to buy Treasuries, that makes my 20 dollar bill worth less (not worthless) in the long hall. If the President comes out and raises taxes even a few percent, that makes people angry. Question is, how much more money printing can they get away with before it becomes a slippery slope? At that point in time they need to keep printing money to service the interest on the debt and then? More printing, which makes my 20 dollars worth more as toilet paper than as cash. I don't know if it will happen, but it's something to be worried about. The way I see it the government has three choices. Raise taxes, cut way back on all expenses or print new money. Only money printing won't cause instant anger from an already unhappy nation, however the long term effects will not be pretty.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by oneinthesame]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Is it three trillion dollars they have printed? It is my understanding that it hasn't been released yet.

Does anybody know about that?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Is it three trillion dollars they have printed? It is my understanding that it hasn't been released yet.

Does anybody know about that?

Thanks.

research.stlouisfed.org...

since you haven't taken my word that hyperinflation even moderate inflation is NOT happening now or imminent....but a POTENTIAL that won't be realized till alot of things occur ......here is a video

by a very respected man named Jeremy Grantham.....scroll down for part 5 for a reason for his take on INFLATION and why he is concerned about it....but why it is not imminent or gauranteed

www.nakedcapitalism.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join