It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart bans Green Day CD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I decided to make this my first attempt at a ATS thread, so if this is in the wrong place, please correct me. This got my attention because even though Walmart has been doing this for years, I'm a little shocked that of all bands that get banned for censorship is Green Day. I haven't heard their new CD yet but has anyone heard it? Is it enough to ask for a censorship? I have never agreed with censored CD's, it takes away from what the artist is trying to express. I only shop at Walmart if I have too, otherwise I avoid them anyway, never cared much for their stores so that would be the last place I'd buy a CD anyway, but this still bothers me. Since there is an effort going on to control us, and chains like walmart burying the competition, could censorhip of music become more wide spread to a point if a group even slighty disagrees with the president, they will be banned from selling their music?

new.music.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
WalMart's policy is their policy and it is their right to enforce it.

The band has the right not to comply with that policy and that is what Green Day has chosen to do.

I don't see what the problem is.

The material will be available in many venues, most notably over the internet.

Amazon is offering the CD for half price with free shipping.

This is not censorship.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That news in-andof-itself makes me want to buy it even more lol. I friggin hate Wally world

Amazon MP3 has the full album for download for like 11.99. DRM free too! (but that's another topic for another board)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
I only shop at Walmart

sorry I just felt like misquoting you!

Anyways Greenday are probably secretly loving this - no publicity is bad publicity.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
They must not like Gerry Spence. His book "From Freedom To Slavery was removed from the shelves in my town in one day. That was in 1994.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

The band says the giant superstore chain refused to stock its latest CD, "21st Century Breakdown," because Wal-Mart wanted the album edited for language and content, and they refused.

Good for Green Day!

I don't really like their newer stuff as much as their old stuff, but that's neither here nor there.

Who does Wal-Mart think they are, demanding an artist censor their work in such a manner. They already have the 'parental advisory' so that minor's can't buy it, so what's the point?

Honestly, all Wallyworld is doing is hurting themselves, this album is probably going to go triple platinum in a matter of weeks. More power to the musicians, less power to local-business destroying mega-corporations.

Everyone wins.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Like someone has stated, it's Wal-Mart right not to sell Green Day's cd. There are a lot of cds that you will not find at Wal-Mart. Besides, I don't know very many people who shop for music at Wal-Mart. So Wal-Mart's decision not to sell Green Day's new cd is not a bad one.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I also don't see the problem. Sounds like it's exactly how it should be. I seen the article on Yahoo and thought it was kind of silly to be getting attention.

Who buys CD's from Wal-Mart anyway?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You know, I have not bought a cd at wal-mart in years, because they always censor them. I am not a fan of censoring music , because in my opinion music is art and censoring art is just silly..

If you think about green day, they really are not a bad band.... Not much to censor I mean.

It seems a bit silly to ban them.

Then again it is their right not to sell it or to only sell censored cd's, but it is also my right to take my business else where.

This is just a case of political correctness run ammuck.

It is silly as could be and that is why I never buy music there. I don't buy ANYTHING there if I can help it....

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I have no idea why.

Maybe its because they keep getting me excited when I hear that Know Your Enemy is going to be played on the radio and then I hear green days new crap...instead of rage against the machine.

I hate walmart...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Censorship sucks. Like Wal Mart. I buy online and download.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Target censors too. It is common. They want to maintain a " family " image.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
I only shop at Walmart

sorry I just felt like misquoting you!

Anyways Greenday are probably secretly loving this - no publicity is bad publicity.

It's all good.

But oh yes I'm sure they are eating up the publicity, what better way to sell more CD's.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

There shouldn't be censorship of music at all! I'm more concerned that someday all retailers will demand any "offensive" lyrics will have to be censored to a point where any artist will have to watch their "dirty mouths" when making an album. Plus one of my problems with this particular story is that they wanted to censor Green Day. Of all bands.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Exactly. Admittedly I don't buy CD's anymore, waste of money in my opinion and when i did it was never at Walmart, always the local music store that got beat out by the bigger competition. I miss that place, it may have been small, cluttered, but it had everything. But I still find it funny that Green Day get's banned, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Heavy Metal band or some gangsta rap artist, but Green Day? lol.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I do agree, there old stuff was really good, but their newer stuff is just ok. I haven't heard this album so I can't really say it if is or not. But yes, why would Walmart want to do this? I heard Target does this as well? I'm just hoping this does spread out to much to where you can only buy censored even on the internet. I know I'm probably over thinking this, but even if it's unlikely, it is still possible.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

Actually it is bad for Walmart. Makes them look more evil, and it shows arrogances to me on their part that they aren't even worried about potential profits they lost. Green Day isn't exactly popular enough for people to form a line outside of the store of course, but still.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I agree that most people don't buy CD's from Walmart, but the fact that any music that gets censored is wrong, but what bothers me is that it wanted to censor a band like Green Day, not exactly a hardcore metal band.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Just saw the colbert report and they said they wont sell their music at walmart because walmart wants them to censor there stuff.

They still suck compared to there old stuff.

Everyone please buy at true record stores!

STREET LIGHT!
RASPUTIN!
AMOEBA'S!

To name a few...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
It amazes me that people can knock a store for trying to demonstrate a little morality. It is a privately owned corporation not a government entity, therefore its not censorship, its them exorcising their right to sell what they want to sell. The album is available from other venues so who cares if you can't buy it at walmart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join