It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Senate OKs guns on college campus bill today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Texas Senate OKs guns on college campus bill today

www.chron.com

A bill to allow college students and employees to carry their concealed handguns on campus won final passage today on a 19-12 vote in the Senate.

The bill would allow college students who are at least 21 years old and licensed to carry concealed handguns to bring those weapons into state campus buildings. University hospitals and athletic facilities would remain off limits to guns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here's some good news, for a change. Texas students and college employees will now be allowed to carry their firearms on campus. There's no reason the Second Amendment should stop where a college campus begins and it's wonderful to see politicians realize that. Hopefully, we'll begin to see more states follow suit. I plan on pointing this legislation out to my state's political critters and asking why we don't do the same.

TA

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well -- it's good -- and it's bad -- the bad part is that my view of the constitution is that "bear arms" means the right to bear arms, it doesn't mean the right to bear arms without any ammunition it doesn't mean the right to bear arm if you get a license, it means the right to bear arms without conditions. The "Government" at any level has no right to infringe on a persons right to bear arms. If it was mean to be conditional the bill of rights would have laid out the conditions. It's an unconditional right.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Good for Texas if this bill also passes their house of representatives. If I end up deciding to get out of the military and use my GI Bill to go to school I'll probably give strong consideration to Texas now. The fact that you're not allowed to defend yourself at school is just downright sickening, it's about time states stepped up and allowed safety back in schools.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

Couldn't agree more: Constitutional rights should and hopefully, someday will be unconditional. Until then, i guess we just have to settle for small victories like this one.

reply to post by cyberdude78

You're 100% correct: students have as much a right to defend their lives as anyone else. Why that was ever in question to begin with is beyond me.

Thanks for the replies,

TA

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, said the bill could confuse university police, who now know that a person with a gun on campus is violating the law.

“When there is an alcohol-related tragedy on campus, you don’t hear claims that giving students a 12-pack is the solution,” he said.

“Yet, when it comes to gun-related incidents, we seem to think that putting more guns in the mix will lead to a good, rather than bloody outcome,” Ellis said.

Hey! He must post on ATS! He reasons just like a bunch of people here.

new topics

top topics

join