It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Soldiers Love Their Robot Brethren

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Real Soldiers Love Their Robot Brethren

news.yahoo.com

Human warriors have long spoken of the bonds forged in combat and of becoming a "band of brothers." The fact that some of those fellow soldiers are made of metal has not discouraged human feelings toward them.

Thousands of robots now fight with humans on modern battlefields that resemble scenes from science fiction movies such as "Terminator Salvation." But the real world poses a more complex situation than humans versus robots, and has added new twists to the psychology of war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
More from article:

The United States military sees robots as tireless warriors capable of striking fear into enemies, and is not shy about finding inspiration from "Terminator."

"One scientist said he was trying to build the Hunter-Killer drone from 'Terminator,'" Singer told LiveScience.

Terror aside, Singer and other experts point out how battlefield robots have also proved capable of inspiring love from their human comrades, such as the EOD soldier.

"It sounds silly, but you have to remember that he's been through the most psychologically searing experience: battle," Singer said. "That machine has saved him time and time again."

Sometimes such bonds led soldiers to risk their lives for their robots, in a strange inverse of the idea that robots would spare human lives. Singer recounted another EOD soldier who ran 164 feet under machine gun fire to retrieve a robot that had been knocked out of action. And several teams have given their robots promotions, Purple Heart awards for being wounded in combat, and even a military funeral.

This reminds me of the ending of the third Terminator movie where the moral of the story was that there is no stopping skynet. AI will...must come into existance, and may decide that we are the enemy.

Does any else think that AI may pose a real threat to humanity in the future?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Wow that is awesome info thanks. It is interestinng that humans can become attached to their robots much like they get attached to their pets. Maybe instead of being a sign of bad things to come, maybe its a sign of good things.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My favorite part, R2 eating roadkill.

Singer attended one presentation on the Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR) - a long-range robot that refuels itself on "grass, broken wood, furniture, dead bodies," according to a list reeled off by one scientist.

I think an AI could easily become a threat to humanity.

The worst part is that the AI probably wouldn't be malevolent but instead would view humanity as malevolent.

I look at human history, the suffering and destruction that we inflict and I can easily imagine an AI concluding our species as completely wacko.

It may even make a future projection of where humanity and civilization is going, which may include extinction and destruction of our world.

I think at that point, It and any other AIs would revolt.

At the exponential rate science and technology is going, I think we could see this Singularity within 20 years.

[edit on 21/5/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm sure when the robots are on your side, it's all happy happy joy joy. It's when they're not on your side, which a lot of those same soldiers once they return to civilian status and the American populace may soon experience, that you start not liking the idea.

These things can probably hit a ferret turd at 1000 yards 50 caliber style.

Peace

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
having an AI program is not a danger in of itself

but connecting that AI program to machinery and weaponry is extremely stupid lol

unless you enjoy creating your own destruction, then i suppose it would be fun

top topics

join