It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama rejects call for Bush-era truth commission

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
DUH!! What would you expect him to do? He's not stupid. If he did this he would be setting a precedent. He doesnt want the same thing happening to him after he leaves office.

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

What a bunch of rhetoric.

Obama talks over and over about his providing "hope". We hear about how he is a president wanting to restore the value of the people.

And then he refuses to do something as simple as comission for the truth. I dont even think anything would come of it. Nothing EVER comes of these commissions. But isnt it quite disheartening that they wont even take that step?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Not really a lot of folks on here are idiots. Most of them DONT realize that Bush was a pawn just like Obama is and just like many presidents before. But then again, most on here are kids and they dont have that memory to draw upon.

That is precisely why it was so funny on here to watch folks during the election and see how everyone though things would be different. Kids. How niaiave. Still dont know how the world works.

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

You guys seem to forget obama his a pawn just like bush, do you think the real handlers would let any information out about anything?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
A "Truth Commission" in D.C. !!! You have got to be kidding. First, we can't afford to pay all the overtime. Second, when they completed their task, D.C. would be vacant.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

I think people are missing the point of Obamas words. Now I could be wrong but he states: "I have opposed the creation of such a commission because I believe that our existing democratic institutions are strong enough to deliver accountability."

A truth commission is BS. They basically say here is what someone did that was wrong and/or illegal but we dont really want to do anything about it.

Obama is saying that the existing democratic institutions can deliver accountability. A truth commission is a get out of jail(or never go there)free card. He is telling congress, if you want to expose what Bush did or didnt do, you are going to have to bring up actual charges against him. Not some sham, truth commission.

Whatever side of the debate you are on you should be happy with his statements(providing congress pushes for an actual hearing). There could be some Dems who were part of the deception, a truth commission will not expose this. They will be able to pick and choose what they want to expose. If you want to see Bush held accountable then you should also be against a truth commission because it will just list whatever crap he and cheney pulled and not provide any punishment for their actions.

Truth commissions are a way for people to skirt accountability and punishment for their actions. If they Dems had a part and did wrong they will not be held accountable and it would be the same for the Bush admin.

And if you are of the belief that there should not be a hearing to expose the truth of what was done under bush and/or any other politicians, dems or otherwise. Then you do not believe in the rule of law and are not interested in what is best for the country.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
A real "Truth Commission" would be as dangerous for the Demopublicans as it would be for the Republicrats.

Both parties are corrupt enough to make the Mafia look like boy scouts by comparison (at least the Mafia has a moral code).

Perhaps President Obama would consider the creation of a new Ministry of Truth to be more consistent with his Vision for America™.

What a great post! Big star for the links and the play on words regarding the parties.

I first read the book back in 1972 at the age of 8 at the urgence of a relative who had a profound fear such a state would come to pass in my lifetime.

I am truly glad he didn't live to see it all come true, how it would have broken his heart.

(Just my personal opinion, nothing more.)

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Majic]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
A "Truth Commission" in D.C. !!! You have got to be kidding. First, we can't afford to pay all the overtime. Second, when they completed their task, D.C. would be vacant.

Haha so true!

If we got all of the liars, corporate whores and criminals out of Washington, who would be left to run our government?

Of course, I am upset that Obama does not want to go through with this, but I suppose he's afraid the next administration will turn around and do the same thing to the Democrats in power now, and they certainly don't want that.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Personally I think and I could be wrong, that Obama doesnt want a truth commission because he knows that they are a farce and will not result in anyone being held accountable. It is a front. You could prove someone committed murder in a truth commission and nothing will be done. Its not a legal hearing. Its a jam session or lip service of facts with no accountability. And many times these "truth" commissions result in providing immunity to certain people in exchange for their truth, thus preventing further prosecution.

I think Obama is basically saying that if you are going to do something, do something that matters. This would require congress to appoint a special prosecutor and hold a formal investigation. Much like the one set up by Fitzgerald in the plame/libby investigation. That resulted in someone being held accountable.

Dont be mad at Obama for saying a truth commission is a bad idea, because it is. It will result in guilty people not being held accountable and walking off scott free. Be mad at congress for not setting up a formal investigation and the appointment of a special prosecutor to head such an investigation.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
ok, just real quick for any loyal obama fans that are still looking for change, what have you gotten for you vote? a new dog? your reps eating high dollar beef at the white house? a man that has to read every speech from a telepromter? this should wake you up? or did it? plz wake up and realize this guy is closer to hitler than jfk, george washington, ab lincoln, t jefferson, i am just stunned from anyone that thinks this man has any kind of benifit for anyone in the us. he has bad mouthed the us to almost every foreign nation, then tells everyone he cannot change anything cause of bush's choices?

give me a break, did we elect a secretary? if i had 50 million to run for president i would have this wrapped up in under 50 days. with this 12 trilliion totall deficit given to every man woman and child, with a big 1 million dollar spending spree to stimulate the economy! but no we have 2.6 million in your tax payer dollars going to whores in china. wow that is change you can beleive in

nice post

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tatersalad
ok, just real quick for any loyal obama fans that are still looking for change, what have you gotten for you vote? a new dog? your reps eating high dollar beef at the white house? a man that has to read every speech from a telepromter? this should wake you up? or did it? plz wake up and realize this guy is closer to hitler than jfk, george washington, ab lincoln, t jefferson, i am just stunned from anyone that thinks this man has any kind of benifit for anyone in the us. he has bad mouthed the us to almost every foreign nation, then tells everyone he cannot change anything cause of bush's choices?

give me a break, did we elect a secretary? if i had 50 million to run for president i would have this wrapped up in under 50 days. with this 12 trilliion totall deficit given to every man woman and child, with a big 1 million dollar spending spree to stimulate the economy! but no we have 2.6 million in your tax payer dollars going to whores in china. wow that is change you can beleive in

nice post

[sarcasm on] What a well thought out and intuitive response to a valid thread. Your quality opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Keep up the good work. You are a superior individual [sarcasm off]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well Obamas being stupid -

Hang Dick and Bush

neocon BBQ sauce

The neocon gathering hole

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
FYI! Obama is not running anything but his mouth. He can't appoint a truth commision because he is not allowed to appoint a truth commision. He is in charge of America as much as Ahmadinejad is in charge of Iran. Try to wake up!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join