It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Junk' DNA Has Important Role, Researchers Find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

'Junk' DNA Has Important Role, Researchers Find

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 21, 2009) — Scientists have called it "junk DNA." They have long been perplexed by these extensive strands of genetic material that dominate the genome but seem to lack specific functions. Why would nature force the genome to carry so much excess baggage?

Now researchers from Princeton University and Indiana University who have been studying the genome of a pond organism have found that junk DNA may not be so junky after all.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
What gets me about this story is that I have known about the Junk DNA issue since the human genome project finished. I thought it was curious, but it wasn't until a few years into my career as a software developer that it dawned on me that maybe these sections of DNA act as a library that is compressed, something like a Zip file. The purpose of this archive would be to house coding sequences for protiens that are not needed in the normal day to day function of a cell, but are usefull, nonetheless. This article would seem to imply that this theory may have some credence.

TO FORUM MODERATORS: This is my first ever post and I must admit to being a bit befuddled by the organization of the site as far as submissions go. If I put this in the wrong spot, please forgive and redirect. Thanks!

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Ive always felt its silly to call it junk DNA. Its like a ape studying a computer and thinking its junk because he doesnt understand it.

Its human arrogance at its finest.

Also, how many things does the human body have that we dont use? Its hard to find anything at all. Everything has a clear purpose for existing. So does this, we just dont know what it is yet.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

According to Western doctors there are tons of things we don't need! They love to pull Wisdom teeth, tonsils, appendix, gall bladders, etc. One lung or kidney is plenty, lol!

I agree that "Junk" DNA is an incredibly presumptuous and ridiculous name. Of course it has a purpose, it is a highly complicated and encoded sequence of proteins, it is certainly no accident.

I personally believe it is useful at certain times such as the Black Plague. Certain immunities may be stored over generations for rare recurrences of things your ancestors survived.

This may be the home of our "instincts" for survival, such as a fear of snakes, spiders, water, or heights.

This may be our evolutionary history neatly organized and awaiting our analysis.

This may be where our hidden ability for things like "virgin" birth are contained in case of massive disasters. Sharks, and frogs have proven this concept.

It could be a hidden ability to "hibernate" during massive winters, or store "hard code" like a computer about to reboot from a coma or drowning.

One thing for sure, it is not JUNK!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
It could be a hidden ability to "hibernate" during massive winters, or store "hard code" like a computer about to reboot from a coma or drowning.

One thing for sure, it is not JUNK!

True, and whats more, once we find out what its used for, I think it will become far more important to understand than the part of the DNA we understand today.

Lets play with the idea that we are created here on this planet by another intelligence. If so, Junk DNA is the "encrypted" part of our DNA. Something they dont want us to figure out too quickly in our evolution.

Makes it very interesting.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It's utterly stupid to call anything junk.
Example: A broken PC has enough gold in it for about 50$ worth. Yeah, junk my butt.

It is human arrogance!

This DNA probably has many things we never even thought of in it.

I personally think it might be the link to maternal memory. You know, where you inherit the memories of your parents and grandparents and so on...

new topics

top topics

join