It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Does anyone know what the bloody hell a Brown Reclus spider is?

I was reading about them in a magazine somewhere and its anoying the hell out of me!

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They are a very dangerous breed of spider, which fortunately is very reclusive. It's venom causes a necrosis of tissue and if bitten in a vital place, such as neck or chest, can cause death. I knew someone who was bitten by one on the foot and his entire foot turned black and purple. They don't bite often and are usually quite harmless so long as you dont distrb them badly, I have seen a couple in nature before and the seemed quite docile.

XAOS

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hi Raven!

Brown Recluses are indigenous where I live. I have never been bitten by one, but a friend has been. They are very small and hard to see (most victims never see it or feel it when bitten, only find the wound later).

A friend of mine was bitten on the knee. He ignored it for 24 hours. The original bite was about the size of a pinhead. Within 24 hours it was about 3-4 cm in diameter. He waited another 24 hours before seeking medical attention. By the time he went to the hospital, the doctors said he was lucky to still keep his leg. They had to surgically remove a large portion of skin, and he had to keep a dressing on it for 3 months.

Little critters that are best left alone!

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Normally brown recluses will ignore you unless you disturb them by stepping on them or something else annoying. What xaos means by the necrosis of the skin cells around the bite is that when the spider bites you, the skin dies, leaving a black mark around the bite. It looks really nasty. By the way, what magazine did you read it in?

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I got bitten by a Brown Recluse in the leg. I was living on Hilton Head Island SC. I'm a electronics tech and was working at my bench and the dam thing got me. I felt nothing at the time I was bitten, however in the days that followed, I ended up with a hole in my leg that went down to the bone and was the size of a silver dollar.

All the tissue around the hole was black (roted) in color. The doctor told me I was very lucky because my system seemed to handle the bite better then most. The Recluse gets it's name because it's nature is to hide. In my case, the thing was under my bench, they like warm and dry areas like a pile of old newspapers. I still have a scar where it got me. They are little spiders but have a nasty nasty bite.

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i read that they like to hide in shoes and alot of victims end up losing their feet. i don't know if we have any around here but i'm gonna find out. nasty little buggers.

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So in other words they cause the local area around the bite area to contract Necrotising Facitis and the skin, at a cellular level is degraded to the point that it smells like something died in my garage!

Hmmmm...................NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys and hello dragonrider

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RavenStar
So in other words they cause the local area around the bite area to contract Necrotising Facitis and the skin, at a cellular level is degraded to the point that it smells like something died in my garage!

Hmmmm...................NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys and hello dragonrider

Yep, they turn you into smelly nasty goop

top topics

join