It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overpopulation: 60 percent in US breath toxic air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Overpopulation: 60 percent in US breath toxic air

www.examiner.com

In a recent report by Noaki Schwartz, “60% in nation live in dirty air”, April 29, 2009, “Six in 10 US residents -- more than 186 million people -- live in areas with dangerous levels of air pollution,” reports the American Lung Association.

“The air in many US cities became dirtier last year,” the association said in its annual "State of the Air" report.

"Despite almost 40 years since the Clean Air Act passed in 1970, six in 10 Americans still live in dirty air areas, areas where the.....
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-5-2009 by kdial1]

[mod edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 21-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So with this report coming out this makes you wonder what we could have come up with if we would have invested a couple trillion dollars into research for a new technology other than gasoline or petrol in cars.... I am sure a couple trillion could have done it, instead we have to keep bankers happy....ugghhh I give up!!! People are going to look back in history and wonder WTH we were thinking.....

-Kdial1

[url=http://www.examiner.com/x-3515-Denver-Political-Issues-Examiner~y2009m5d20-Overpopulation-60-percent-in-US-breath-toxic-air]www.examiner.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-5-2009 by kdial1]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I hate how econazis are blaming it on overpopulation. We need to do something here. It's not overpopulation. There are other solutions to it. This is just fearmongering.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
When the whole of the United States population can each be given a half acre plot in Texas I doubt overpopulation is an issue.

Population density contributes to more crap in one spot and more idiots crammed into that one spot to breathe all the crap. 60% of the US pop lives on top of one another in one of these urban hellholes like chickens stacked in cages crapping on one anothers head until finally the farmer comes by to lop off a head or two.

This fantasy that spending money on something gets results + faster results is ridiculous. Maybe if the money is spent on educating more scientists in relevant fields you'll actually increase the chance to yield a "solution" as it were but the ever present variable of "dumb luck" that is found in so many inventions and discoveries doesnt care if it lives under a bridge and eats grass or has solid gold goblets to piss in. Tossing money at problems is the worst example of irresponsible policy yet it's called upon time and again.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
When the whole of the United States population can each be given a half acre plot in Texas I doubt overpopulation is an issue.

Overpopulation has nothing to do with how much land you have to sit on. If the Moon had a population of 1 it would technically be overpopulated because the Moon doesn't possess the amount of resources required to sustain that single life.

As the world's population increases, the general condition of the environment will worsen no matter how hard you work to keep it otherwise. People make filth, period.

The Earth may be short of good soil, clean air, and clean water, but one thing it is not short of, is people.

Until we find another planet to occupy, we shouldn't allow people to have 8 babies at a time and celebrate it like it's a blessing from the heavens.

PS - good luck finding that spare planet.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

You're link appears to be broken. The URL gives a 404 error.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Hi, can you please post the link for the article so that i can read it, thanks.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

According to "World Hunger Facts 2009" we produce by far enough to feed everyone alive today. Enough to waste an awful lot and still have surplus.

The world produces enough food to feed everyone. World agriculture produces 17 percent more calories per person today than it did 30 years ago, despite a 70 percent population increase. This is enough to provide everyone in the world with at least 2,720 kilocalories (kcal) per person per day (FAO 2002, p.9). The principal problem is that many people in the world do not have sufficient land to grow, or income to purchase, enough food.
www.worldhunger.org...

Overpopulation is a crock. It's not my fault if a bunch of Brits are sitting to close to each other on some island and feel cramped or that generations of yuppies live in 200 square foot drywall cubes 150 feet into the sky along with 20 million+ other urban dependents.

Granted, I dont exactly want any of these people fleeing rural either. I'd just like them to stop using their sheer numbers to mob-rule steamroll over my liberties.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Here you go:

Link to the OP's Source Article

60% sounds high to me but with all those people squeezed into the towns and cities it's not surprising they inhale so much junk.

[edit on 21/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Not many educated people would argue that population is not a problem. The math is staggering. Almost seven billion people right now, compared to just over a billion in 1900. Projected to be close to nine billion in around 20 more years. world population estimate chart

Perhaps what some don't realize is that feeding all these people is only a small part of the problem. There are the other physical problems of fresh water and the water infrastructure, most of which is now almost a hundred years old in the US. Then there is the problem of waste and trash removal. Then there is the problem of providing energy and housing for all these people. But perhaps most of all, a point which should be especially poignant during these recent economic hard times, is how are all these people going to be gainfully employed? People who lack the things just described tend to be miserable, make bad citizens, and are ripe for all sorts of propaganda by those wanting to fault a scapegoat for their problems.

The increased populations will look for a low pressure outlet (like one of Newton's laws - about things following the path of least resistance). Now, as in the future, that path often leads through the most modernized countries, where the diaspora from the developing nations will seek their fortunes. When that happens, Euorope and North America will have even greater pressures, with the prospect of chaos or severe repression as its only choices for the future.

Sure maybe everyone can be fed a dollop of this, or a spit of that; but that's only one of the problems.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Thank you very much

I don't like to post a reply until i've read the article.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

According to "World Hunger Facts 2009" we produce by far enough to feed everyone alive today. Enough to waste an awful lot and still have surplus.

Well if there wasn't enough, the overpopulation would by definition solve itself.

Think holistically, it's not just about whether or not there's enough to eat, or enough land to sit on, it's about the environment, the planet, and our general quality of life.

We just can't keep breeding to our hearts content, it's unjustified and irresponsible.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The greater tragedy in this dilemmas stems from everyone avoiding any discussion of the cause: hyper-population growth. As a society, we walk onto the railroad tracks of an oncoming train, but turn our backs to walk the other way so we won’t see it when it runs over us.

What causes our population overload? Both legal and illegal immigration add 70 percent of America’s population growth. That factor added 100 million people in the last 40 years and drives this nation to add 100 million people in the next 26 years. However, to discuss it remains forbidden, banned and outlawed.

www.examiner.com...

Seems to me that perhaps we should work on this problem first and then maybe America's pollution problem would start to clear up on it's own.

It's also not just the polution from the autos.

Ozone definition: a gas that forms when sunlight reacts with emissions from motor vehicles, factories and power plants -- is the most widespread form of air pollution and can immediately affect health if inhaled, irritating the lungs and causing wheezing, coughing and asthma attacks.

www.examiner.com...

Manufacturing and power plants need to find ways to lower the pollution that they emit also.

Instead what many do is to simply purchase extra pollution credits from companies that have effectively lowered their emissions. So we end up with some companies that work to lower their emissions and and others that are allowed to maintain their poor emission standards by benefitting from the companies that lower their emissions.

Maybe it's time to change the practice of emissions trading. Put an end to companies being allowed to purchase extra credits and give companies that are emissions efficient a tax break or something, the current plan doesn't seem to be working that well.

It's not just outdoor pollution that is a problem here.

Indoor levels of air pollutants can be 2-5 times higher, and occasionally 100 times higher, than outdoor levels.

Indoor air pollution consistently ranks among the top five environmental risks to public health.

www.neahin.org...

Edit for spelling

[edit on 5/21/2009 by chise61]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I hate how econazis are blaming it on overpopulation. We need to do something here. It's not overpopulation. There are other solutions to it. This is just fearmongering.

Exactly!

There are even some people who equate humans to viruses and want to irradicate the population. Stuff like this scares people into submission to whacked people.

There is no overpopulation. There is no global warming. What exists is a bunch of super-rich people who want to control resources and oppress those deemed 'inferior' to themselves.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sashromi
Not many educated people would argue that population is not a problem. The math is staggering. Almost seven billion people right now, compared to just over a billion in 1900. Projected to be close to nine billion in around 20 more years. world population estimate chart

Perhaps what some don't realize is that feeding all these people is only a small part of the problem. There are the other physical problems of fresh water and the water infrastructure, most of which is now almost a hundred years old in the US. Then there is the problem of waste and trash removal. Then there is the problem of providing energy and housing for all these people. But perhaps most of all, a point which should be especially poignant during these recent economic hard times, is how are all these people going to be gainfully employed? People who lack the things just described tend to be miserable, make bad citizens, and are ripe for all sorts of propaganda by those wanting to fault a scapegoat for their problems.

The increased populations will look for a low pressure outlet (like one of Newton's laws - about things following the path of least resistance). Now, as in the future, that path often leads through the most modernized countries, where the diaspora from the developing nations will seek their fortunes. When that happens, Euorope and North America will have even greater pressures, with the prospect of chaos or severe repression as its only choices for the future.

Sure maybe everyone can be fed a dollop of this, or a spit of that; but that's only one of the problems.

Perhaps if governments didn't pay farmers to NOT GROW FOOD, there would be more food for people. Perhaps if towns were not constantly cemented over, there would be more farm land for crops. Resources are there, but they are not used wisely.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I do not belive anything the examiner puts out in its tablois..its like the UN news, full of rediciculous remarks and fantasy..bigfoot wes the queen of england...UFO's are the link between monkeys and elephants according to lab scientists...the truth reveiled! the wearwolf RUNS the whitehouse, and adolf hitler is alive and well, residing in the linciln bedroom of it. I simply do not belive anything the examiner prints.
The air is NOT dirty..maybe within the vacinity of places like area 51, nuclar reactors, coal mines and the like..but this isnt the times of the 1880's, where yuode see every factory known to man with thick plumes of black smoke blacking out the morning sunshine..those days do not exist anymore,,,and for 40,000+ meteorologists to sue or challenege AL gores global warming...ide re guess abour the air being dirty. Sounds like a marketing pitch..a method to scarre everyone, so some kinda tax or control can be implimented/

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

I agree.

America really isn't that overpopulated. Compared to a lot of countries, this is a very wild, natural country.

top topics

join