It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Odds Much Worse Than Thought

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Climate Change Odds Much Worse Than Thought

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 20, 2009) — The most comprehensive modeling yet carried out on the likelihood of how much hotter the Earth's climate will get in this century shows that without rapid and massive action, the problem will be about twice as severe as previously estimated six years ago - and could be even worse than that.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I know there is quite a debate going on about whether global warming is a real issue or not, but scientists have gathered extensive data on the effects of greenhouse emmissions within the next 100 years. The article goes to say that these models created could understate the problem stating they didn't account for mass melting of Arctic regions or a release of methane gas.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beautyfrompain

This is a push for the whole carbon credit scheme nothing more, What good is it going to do here in the states when China and other nations do not change there policys as well.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I agree. Climate Change is getting worse but remember, there is always money in fear. We contributed to this but so do the cattle on every ranch, so do the volcanoes, and the sun. They contribute more CO2 and methane then we do.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
They contribute more CO2 and methane then we do.

Could you provide a source? Not that I'm doubting you but I'm curious to know.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

While I do not discount the possiblity that there are "schemes" to be perpetrated on the back of global climate change the science seems pretty clear that we are at least speeding up the process of altering the climate through the unchecked burning of fossil fuels. At this point I think most in the scientific community look at the climate change doubters with about as much respect as most people look at holocaust deniers.

You do make an excellent point about China however. But I ask should we not do something? Not doing something because "they might not/won't do it too" seems a weak excuse. Don't we (as humans/citizens of the E.U./U.S./Canada, whatever) need to act in our our best interests as a species? I abhor the heat so Kentucky, 10 degrees hotter all the time would make me a seriously grouchy person. Oh, and I like food, which would be hard to grow in a permanent hotbox.

Obs out

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beautyfrompain

Welcome to the Climate-Industrial Complex: Businesses profit in green movement.

Some business leaders are cozying up with politicians and scientists to demand swift, drastic action on global warming. This is a new twist on a very old practice: companies using public policy to line their own pockets.

There would be an outcry if big oil organized a climate change conference and invited only climate-change deniers.

The partnership among self-interested businesses, grandstanding politicians and alarmist campaigners is an unholy alliance. The climate-industrial complex does not promote discussion in a way that will be best for everybody. Those who stand to make a profit are among the loudest calling for politicians to act. Spending a fortune on global carbon regulations will benefit a few, but dearly cost everybody else.

online.wsj.com...=article-outset-box

President Eisenhower warned about the "military-industrial complex," cautioning that "the potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." He worried that "there is a recurring temptation to feel that some spectacular and costly action could become the miraculous solution to all current difficulties."

This is true of climate change. We are told that very expensive carbon regulations are the only way to respond to global warming, despite ample evidence that this approach does not pass cost-benefit tests.

Is a "climate-industrial complex" emerging, pressing taxpayers to fork over money to please those who stand to gain?

The World Business Summit will hear from "science and public policy leaders" selected for their scary views of global warming. They include James Lovelock, who believes that much of Europe will be Saharan and London will be underwater within 30 years; Sir Crispin Tickell, who believes that the United Kingdom's population needs to be cut by two-thirds so the country can cope with global warming; and Timothy Flannery, who warns of sea level rises as high as "an eight-story building."

These visions of catastrophe are way outside of mainstream scientific opinion. When it comes to sea-level rise, for example, the UN expects a rise of between seven and 23 inches by 2100 -- considerably less than a one-story building.

Gore, et al stand to reap fortunes at our expense. Are you happy, now?

jw

[edit on 21-5-2009 by jdub297]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If you take left winged enverimental activist scientist and say to them we want you to make a climat test the out come is allways known on forhand.
I don't believe those claims because I think the climat crisis is one of the greatest lies out there .. the odds of alien life in space are bigger then us humans being responsible for climat changes or rise of temperatures around the world.

Last time I heared the big iceshelf which broke of antartica was causing less rise of sea levels then predicted.. the growth of ice on antartica is on the rise and is bigger then the melting so antartic ice is growing.

further more if it is melting there it is because of readeption to a former climate in which antartica and in the north greenland where not covered in ice and people where living there. more then 12000 years ago.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
This is a push for the whole carbon credit scheme nothing more, What good is it going to do here in the states when China and other nations do not change there policys as well.

Its like reading an open book.. Constant fear mongering without explaining any of the counteracting processes that are constantly occuring around the planet.

Whats going to happen is the EU/US will have to foot the bill for China's carbon scheme until it is at around the same level of economic development..

This was one of the suggestions of the Chinese consulate to the EU yesterday... probably going to happen as well.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
And now the hoax is being funded and pushed by the U.S. Department of Energy...how quaint. No cap and trade agenda there with Barry in office and the Dems in control of the House and Senate, nope, none at all.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
PROPAGANDA

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekerof

Come on Seeker, it's not like the Climate Change issue just "popped" up on Janurary 21st of this year. And there were silenced scientists in the Bush admin who tried to speak out on this issue.

I would also like to know when CONSERVING things (like, forrests, water, oil, plastic, etc) became unconservative? Anyone have any idea?
Either side of the ideological divide is going to find a way to make money, "conservatives" want us to buy stuff and eat the planet like a swarm of locusts in a wheat field the "liberals" want us to watch every single thing we do (and pay taxes on most of it).

I am just flabergasted at the idea that wanting to preserve a clean planet to pass on to the next generation is sneered at by anyone. What is wrong with you people?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
I am just flabergasted at the idea that wanting to preserve a clean planet to pass on to the next generation is sneered at by anyone. What is wrong with you people?

Agreed.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children."
Sitting Bull if I am not mistaken.

Whether its global warming or the earths natural cycle or a combo of both, we should consider our impact on the generations to come. And do what we can to help our mother earth.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImzadiDax
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children."
Sitting Bull if I am not mistaken.

Whether its global warming or the earths natural cycle or a combo of both, we should consider our impact on the generations to come. And do what we can to help our mother earth.

Well said. I have a poster in my house stating this and I'm reminded every day that the world I live in is shaped by my parents before me, and theirs before them. I feel it's our job as humans to provide the next generation the cleanest, purist planet we can.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by observer

What about the fact that we our in a low sun spot cycle? I believe that we has human have damaged the Earth, but unless we develop Free energy that does not pollute nothing we do will matter as long as factories and other nations don’t help.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm kind of hoping they are right.

I could use a few more months of prime motorcycle weather.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I'm kind of hoping they are right.

I could use a few more months of prime motorcycle weather.

I'm sure you and a few other people as well
We have another month before summer though!

What about the fact that we our in a low sun spot cycle? I believe that we has human have damaged the Earth, but unless we develop Free energy that does not pollute nothing we do will matter as long as factories and other nations don’t help.

Another interesting article to ponder over:

Changes In The Sun Are Not Causing Global Warming

[edit on 5/21/2009 by beautyfrompain]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer

While I do not discount the possiblity that there are "schemes" to be perpetrated on the back of global climate change the science seems pretty clear that we are at least speeding up the process of altering the climate through the unchecked burning of fossil fuels. At this point I think most in the scientific community look at the climate change doubters with about as much respect as most people look at holocaust deniers.

BS, there are more respected scentists who disagree and have become not only skeptics but they emphatically state mankind has nothing to do with Climate Change.

Mankind is responsible for the large plastic islands in the Pacific Ocean. Mankind, and more so now developing countries are responsible for releasing toxic chemicals into the oceans, yet none of this is being said, and no plans are being made except to "put taxes for a natural gas which every living thing exhales."

The whole Global Warming claim has been, and is nothing more than a hoax, and this latest hoax stated in the OP is nothing more than one of the final attempts to push for policies that will only tax us more, and control us more.

All the Global Warming camp has are flawed climate models which have been proven to be wrong dozens of times,

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I didn't realize that there was such a divide of opinions regarding this topic.

I don't think however that just because someone doesn't believe in Climate Change they should be tossed in with Holocaust deniers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join