It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVDs that store 10,000 films

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
End Times = Greater increase in knowledge and travel . . .

and to think someone tried to argue with me that there has not been a huge increase in knowledge in the last 100 years.

Who the hell tried that argument? They are obviously oblivious to mankinds achievements over the years.... be it ours or "theirs"...

Who knows hey?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I thought you guys might find it interesting.
I read an article ( I think it was in an Atomic Magizine about 3-4 years ago)
It talks about these scientist who have developed away to store data on Crystal's, It said something like being able to store 100tb on a 1cm cube, they actually did it but it was still in early testing stage and had some problems with stability. Ill see if i can find the article or something similar and post it tonight after work.

Edit, here is an article, (not the one i was referring to)
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

[edit on 21/5/2009 by wycky]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Please do! Sounds like you may have found another 'link' in the information & data that I'm looking for.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Wow! Just read that article and it was amazing! To think we can re-align "Sapphire crystals" and make it work with Nano-Tech.... unbelievable!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Just some more info for those who are interested:

www.usbyte.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.scienceclarified.com... (This one was interesting - cause of the music industry!)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by wycky

Wow! Just read that article and it was amazing! To think we can re-align "Sapphire crystals" and make it work with Nano-Tech.... unbelievable!

I know!
Its incredible stuff
Its that type of thing that (referring back to my previous post) makes me think we should have already come a lot further then what we have.

and if you think that is good ill try and find another couple of articles for you tonight i also read a few years ago.

One was about using Synthetic Diamonds to make CPU's and they said the will be 1000's of time faster then current Silicon based will ever reach.

The 2nd was insane lol, it was about using an actual living nervous system from a leech in a cpu, reaching incredible speeds faster then current super computers and being able to fit in your desktop PC.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Holy Moly!

That is incredible! I'm from South Africa, and heard about that tech in SA when I was younger....never thought it could be true, but a number of people in SA told me that they were working on using diamonds for "technical processes"!

Guess I should have listened to them, but we were out hunting and drinking and so I didn't take it serious! I mean, you shoot an Impala and Kudu, and have a friendly chat at the fireplace....

Who takes it serious when guys are "falling over"?

Guess I should have!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

LOL
Drinking and shooting in the same sentence... count me out!

here is a couple articles i just Googled that u might like.

Source

Already, experimental diamond transistors have been clocked at 81GHz. For comparison, Intel demonstrated cutting-edge silicon transistors in a lab late last year–running at 10GHz. Researchers at Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. (NTT) have set their sights on a transistor that runs at 200GHz while dissipating 30W/mm�, and they believe impurities are the only thing holding them back. Apollo's process would remove even that barrier, making the purest diamond physically possible.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
imagine getting a scratch on one of those super dvds.... better take good care of them!

Ouch, now THAT would inflict some emotional wounds for sure. Maybe technology enthusiasts should concentrate on developing a completely "scratch-resistant" and "data-corruption-resistant "disc instead.

This story reminds me of an article I read about 2 years ago. Apparently Australian scientists discovered a way to teleport LIGHT within a computer's functioning. Meaning that computer process speeds could potentially reach staggeringly high speeds compared to those at the time. ( I think it was mentioned that this process would result in computer speeds a million times faster than they are now. That last part seems too good to be true though.)

[edit on 22/5/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Very interesting! I did not know that we as humanity had this type of tech available? Guess I was wrong?!

My humble and sincere gratitude for all who have added to my knowledge....Thank You!!

If anyone else can add to this thread, I ask you to Please do so...

Thanks all!!

[edit on 22-5-2009 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Yes. No HDDs either. Holo disk, flash RAM, laser chip, and offsite memory storage. Its coming.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
Yes. No HDDs either. Holo disk, flash RAM, laser chip, and offsite memory storage. Its coming.

Yeah, It sounds crazy, but honestly think about the technology we now have. I'm not going to dispute where it came from.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC
This is great... but how much would one of them blank discs cost?? Remember when DVD's came about and they were like £20 a disc - some places cost even more.

More to the point I posted for, the reason we have come this far in so little time is simple. We create a CD, then scientists think hmmm this is good, how can we fit more onto it? Then we created the DVD which was fantastic, the DVD was a stepping stone of the highest point, because from there all they needed to do was mess around with the way the data is stored. It's the same as SD Cards, pretty soon we'll be seeing SD Cards which can hold more than my computer... Terrabytes of information on one small item. The possibilites are endless and the future certainly looks bright for technology.

I agree... Ill put a differant perspective on it think of it like this. If I draw a scketch of something , let's just say a half naked pinup girl. (And I'm not good at drawing ppl really) and my goal is to make it look as real as possible like an actual photo. My 1st attemp will not look anything like a photo. But if I kept at it for let's say 2 years. And every week I tryed to draw the same pinup girl in the same position and made sure I took my time with every passing week. And used variouse mediums of art(pastels ,colored pencils,paint,graphit ect.)When that 2 years is up you would look at the 1st and last picture and would think they were by two differant ppl.
I'm not saying we don't have ant et tech. but I read on here about the power of the mind a lot. So if you apply that to the these cd's , its beond possible imo. Practice makes perfect and we will always just keep improving on anything we stay persistant on and truly have a need or want to make that think(whatever it may be) better than the previouse version. It almost like saying. "I can't explain it so ill just say "god" did it" if you don't understand don't just say its et's.
Lool at the industrial revolution right before it started and right at the end. Someone on the oustide of it couldn't explain how fast everything was built or being done at that time. If that had no information what do you think they would say its from? We are just in the technology revolution right now. I'm not saying it can't be et tech all I'm saying is have a little mose faith in the power and ideas of the human race.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by agent0range

Interesting take on it?! BTW, Please let me know how that sketch is coming along of the half naked pin-up girl, and please send regular updates.....

Just want to see your progress

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

What do you guys think?

Wow, looks like we really could have a massive a complete Wong library up in Mars university.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2bdaa8dcbd41.png[/atsimg]

I'm not really sure why they are keeping the disk format for that much memory, I mean I know people are used to the idea of using and storing disks but thats a massive amount of data to loose cos it got all scratched up, or left in someone's laptop or down the back of the computer desk.

I would prefare something a bit more substantial - but then again I could loose a screaming child in a small empty locked room.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

reply to post by agent0range

Interesting take on it?! BTW, Please let me know how that sketch is coming along of the half naked pin-up girl, and please send regular updates.....

Just want to see your progress

I wish I could but I just don't have enough time to do something like that. When I wrk 9.5 hours a day than gotta draw peoples tattoos and tattoo when I have time. But maybe I could scale it down and just try something simpler and re draw it everyday for like a week or two than post them so you can see the the difference. You could see it evolve from picture to picture.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It must be something similar to an FMD
en.wikipedia.org...

Basically, the disc is clear, and information is stored on different layers within the disc which would greatly increase its storage capacity relative to a traditional disc with a single metal layer.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yeah, now we can have one little scratch on the DVD and lose tens of thousands of hours of film rather than just a few
. Is anybody from the UK old enough to remember "Tomorrow's World"? There was Judith Wots-her-face stamping on a CD and skidding it across the floor, urinating on it, putting it through a dishwasher, whatever, all the while proclaiming that it would still work with no problems... and it did... on TV.

Nowadays it seem that one little hairline scratch on a DVD completely f*cks up the picture and it pixelates like hell... funnily enough, always at the crucial part when you need to know what happened next.

Tschhhh! Technology.....

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
First post on ATS,

But wouldnt it just store a few movies, if, in the future, tv's have a much higher resolution?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well just thinking about these things makes my bowels drain, i wonder what the quality would be and maybe these would be used in holographic technologies coming soon. it seems that we are able to invent something build it up for a couple of years and then just revolutinize it with some other technology in this case its nano tech this time. but i wonder what this will do with games and gaming consoles and we will need a new type of platform to run these disks whatever there called. so it looks like microsoft might revive itself in selling these new types of super HD movie disk or whatever they hold. Imagine life in 15 years or even 10 judging on how fast technology is advancing these days, the thought brings a tear and a smile to myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join