It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why IS the Human species so screwed up?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Is It because we have lost our connection to nature, the divine, and to OUR own inner nature? Could this cause us to be pulling ourselves in opposing directions, Making some criminally insane and others depressed and hopeless? The more technology we create and use, the more we are affecting nature, but could we also be affecting ourselves on a deep level? To Use an example from the bible... Adam and Eve's fall; it's been said, is used as an allegory to depict that Man became knowledgeable about farming and animal husbandry and such, taking us from the "perfect" lifestyle of hunting/gathering, to the lifestyle of being like God ourselves. And that we can never return to that lifestyle again...Gen 3:24 "So he drove out the man, and he placed in the East of the Garden Of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."
Could this not be interpreted as He seperated Man from our connection to Nature and the divine? We can not return to the old way to our original state now as population would never allow, there wouldn't be enough food if we became hunters/gatherers again. Is this the lesson we're here to learn? That having knowledge seperates us from our natural state? If so, How do we as a species, go about fixing this? Tell me what you think.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Our 'spiritual' nature aside... here, on this planet, we are just primates driven by emotion, instinct, and complex chemical processes.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think it's becasue we are bombarded day in day out, with negative things via the media. How can we possibly sort ourselves out, when all we get is bad news. Our attention, and where we put it, is effecting our everyday lives wether we notice it or not.

If we all turned off thetelly, and stopped reading papers for a year or so, the world would be a better place.

We need to live without goverments too, they are massivly responsible to blame for the mess we're in. The sooner we can mature enough to survive without TBTB interfering in our daily lives, asif we are children, then the sooner we can move on and grow.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I agree, at what point in history was it decided that we need people to tell us how to live?? You are born in a Country, you didnt' ask to be born there, yet you have to pay thier taxes and live by their rules. What if somene just decided they wanted to do their own thing?? But, we have also come to the point where the systems and infrastructure we have in place now require people to run it, so we are now dependant on them.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think what it really comes down to is greed. Honestly almost everything that happens is because of someone's want/need to make money or one up a person. This can even relate to your thoughts on the separation of the human race from nature.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by baseball101]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Life itself has evolved things change, we as people change.

We can never go back but maybe with enough effort we could change our future. Although in all honesty people nowadays are lazy, selfish and i don't personally see a change coming anytime soon.

We're doomed too destroying ourselves and there is nobody to blame except ourselves.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

reply to post by stereovoyaged

hate to ask it, but how does that relate at all to the OP? The OP has nothing to do with the government or television ... it's actually kind of biblical

[edit on 21-5-2009 by baseball101]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It is the internal struggle between the old and new brain. between instinct, intellectualism, and emotion. When you combine negative emotions with instinct...... and the intellect to carry out this will. human nature can be very dark indeed. But the good far outweighs the bad, choose to see what you will. the new may someday do away with the old. Only creating more sophisticated killers. simply put, there are always going to be bad apples.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
screwed up humpf...

I would not consider the human race screwed up, just misunderstood.

practicalities consume our daily lives. The way we are created is even more distant then our own ways of life. We have no idea why we are here, no purpose except to follow the instincts of survival, utilizing our minds and physique. Yet in essence we have no idea why we do this.. What's screwed up is not knowing why we exist. Which therefore interludes our lives with less understanding of our own self, which therefore creates the pathological direction we have implemented by the position of our evolution. We are no more, nor any closer to understanding the purpose of this what we are and where we are in the position of all things. Perhaps this is the underlining concern that faces our race, in which creates that deformity in our social societies. It's as if something was taken from us and the only way to cope with it, is as we are now, perhaps indeed we seek release, by destruction, as the stress builds in the numbers so does the pressure..
yet indeed this is the thinking of madness.. A more subtle approach is the key..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
simple

your asking why

is that not the very answer?

work it out........

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yes humanity has done some horrible things, but we've also done great things. You have to realize at one time slavery and gladiatorial battles were commonplace things. Were slowly learning that things like race, Nationality, war, and religious differences aren't something to fight about. With advances in science and education were finally realizing that in the end were all human and our differences are what make us so great.

Were still a fairly young species, give us time.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

That's a very good explanation! Thanks for your input.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Anubis_4400

That's true. But if I have to give us time as you say, I don't think I'll be incarnating for several millenia after this lifetime!!! LOL!!!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

This is also a very good point.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
3 words: secrecy-based governments

Or that's the primary cause, as I see it. It's the belief or feeling that institutions or entities like the National "Security" STATE are normal enough.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

I agree, at what point in history was it decided that we need people to tell us how to live?? You are born in a Country, you didnt' ask to be born there, yet you have to pay thier taxes and live by their rules. What if somene just decided they wanted to do their own thing??
SOme people are, they state themselves as Freeman On The Land and live by common law only. There ar several running court cases where people are saying "no, I'm not paying taxes" or "no I'm not paying that parking fine" I've no idea how succsefull they're being, but I LOVE the idea!! There's a growing group of these people in the US and Canada. my hat is well and truly off for them

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think in part our technology has overtaken our brains ability to cope with it all emotionally.

Up until a century or two ago the world was small for many people, they did not have a constant rush of bad news from all over the world at any given moment. People were more focused on surviving, and far more intune with life and death, with the dramas of their own small world.

There is also a lack of coherent society in many countries, the basic standards and morals and close family ties have given way to multi-culturalism. That further fragments our world.

There were always nut cases, psychopaths, war and criminals, but I think the depression and hopeless is more common among the "average" people due in part to the reasons above. Could also be chemicals in our environment that contribute to this, but I think the changing world, flow of information, and isolation plays a big part in it.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
I think in part our technology has overtaken our brains ability to cope with it all emotionally.

Up until a century or two ago the world was small for many people, they did not have a constant rush of bad news from all over the world at any given moment. People were more focused on surviving, and far more intune with life and death, with the dramas of their own small world.

There is also a lack of coherent society in many countries, the basic standards and morals and close family ties have given way to multi-culturalism. That further fragments our world.

There were always nut cases, psychopaths, war and criminals, but I think the depression and hopeless is more common among the "average" people due in part to the reasons above. Could also be chemicals in our environment that contribute to this, but I think the changing world, flow of information, and isolation plays a big part in it.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Sonya610]

I see what you're getting at. You've presented a very good point. It feels like it's spiralling and running amuck anymore. civlization is becoming more self indulgent I think.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Let me explain this further. We have all this technology, can fly to the moon, have all kinds of entertainment via tv, gaming systems, computers, ipods, cell phones with all kinds of Apps to do a multitude of things...We are advanced to where we feel superior...I think that many beleive they are God or enough like Him they feel entitled to do whatever the heck they want to without consequence, because simply they beleive themselves to Be God. It's a combination of self entitlement and ego. This is definatively against nature. We want world domination as a race, yet we are not God who is the the one who has dominion of this world, and no matter what religion that a person follows or what they claim to beleive, hey are self diluted because they really do NOT beleive in their heart of hearts that there truly is a God and they can never have dominion over this world, if that makes any sense. It's a hypocrisy(SP?) is what I am saying.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

It's not a matter of people thinking, or trying to be God. There are those that are driven to be at the top of the heap, they'll do and say anything to get there, and once there they fight to stay there. I realized long ago that it's a bunch of malarkey that we 'must' be over others, that is how we are valued, and adored by others. All the people that are at the top politically, societaly, artistically, and intellectually must keep fighting to stay there. Underneath them are hoards of monkeys trying to reach the same goal. It's not a matter of being God, it's a matter of dominance over others. Even here on ATS, it's a subtle battle of dominance between who is right, wrong, hoaxers, believers, debunkers, etc... Even in the smallest groups there's always a jockeying of dominant positions.

When you look at it intellectually, it all looks like a crazy mess. When you look at it with your inner animal, it all makes sense. The thing that makes people murder, rape, steal, etc... is that inner animal They haven't learned to control it, and put it to use. They do not understand themselves, and what makes them tick. That is where religion, and god comes in. There are a great many that need that concept that they are divine creatures that are above the animals that keeps them from letting their animal nature take control.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join