It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utilizing black holes to cover vast distances in space? Theory inside.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So I've been doing some thinking after reading the thread about black holes, the ergosphere (equal to the radius of the event horizon), and how theoretically it is possible to utilize this for faster then light travel.

So.

If the ETs know this, which I am sure they have a much better understanding then we do, then this changes the idea of space travel in my mind. They say that travelling near the speed of light slows down time relative to an outside observer.
Well.

Lets say Earth is the outside observer.

This means that instead of these ET ships crossing vast distances, huge amounts of space to come here, that instead they need only to traverse time via the ergosphere and its massive time dialation effects. Does this make sense? If not, here is an example.

ET Ship wants to travel to Earth, but it may be thousands of light years away. Seemingly impossible maybe even by their standards to travel at them speeds and get here. So instead what they do, is chart the future path of Earth throughout the fabric of space. By utilizing a black hole and its ergosphere, you could essentially sit inside your ergosphere and with the right calculations based on gravity, time dialation, and so on, it would be theoretically possible to exit at the right time when a planet is much, much closer. Granted, this may be thousands of years in the future it still allows to "travel great distances" without very much travel. Basically you're fast forwarding time in order to place a solar system much closer due to the fact that all planets are constantly moving and I would be willing to bet that solar systems and galaxies do as well. Around what? I have no idea.

So they sit here in the black hole, slowly to us, fast to them, the Earth and its solar system and galaxy finally orbit the center of the universe to end up in the exact spot they are expected at whatever time in the future.

Now, there is a small problem. This assumes black holes are stationary. If so, this would be a viable option to travel the vast distances of space without much travel other then between black holes, depending on where you needed to intercept the arriving planet.

Who knows. But its the junk like this that keeps the brain juices flowing so thought I'd put it out here
Also. I am expecting this to be torn apart and critcized, so please do. I thank you for your time.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

There's a thread posted a bit earlier about this in the correct subforum. You have clearly missed the target!

Peace!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
So I've been doing some thinking after reading the thread about black holes, the ergosphere (equal to the radius of the event horizon), and how theoretically it is possible to utilize this for faster then light travel.

So.

If the ETs know this, which I am sure they have a much better understanding then we do, then this changes the idea of space travel in my mind. They say that travelling near the speed of light slows down time relative to an outside observer.
Well.

Lets say Earth is the outside observer.

This means that instead of these ET ships crossing vast distances, huge amounts of space to come here, that instead they need only to traverse time via the ergosphere and its massive time dialation effects. Does this make sense? If not, here is an example.

ET Ship wants to travel to Earth, but it may be thousands of light years away. Seemingly impossible maybe even by their standards to travel at them speeds and get here. So instead what they do, is chart the future path of Earth throughout the fabric of space. By utilizing a black hole and its ergosphere, you could essentially sit inside your ergosphere and with the right calculations based on gravity, time dialation, and so on, it would be theoretically possible to exit at the right time when a planet is much, much closer. Granted, this may be thousands of years in the future it still allows to "travel great distances" without very much travel. Basically you're fast forwarding time in order to place a solar system much closer due to the fact that all planets are constantly moving and I would be willing to bet that solar systems and galaxies do as well. Around what? I have no idea.

So they sit here in the black hole, slowly to us, fast to them, the Earth and its solar system and galaxy finally orbit the center of the universe to end up in the exact spot they are expected at whatever time in the future.

Now, there is a small problem. This assumes black holes are stationary. If so, this would be a viable option to travel the vast distances of space without much travel other then between black holes, depending on where you needed to intercept the arriving planet.

Who knows. But its the junk like this that keeps the brain juices flowing so thought I'd put it out here
Also. I am expecting this to be torn apart and critcized, so please do. I thank you for your time.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LMAO

WTF?!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Well thanks for the post but I think what you all saying would not work. Just because you can chart the path of a body far into the future doesn't make it any closer. From what I gathered all you are suggesting is one simply sits inside of the ergosphere and waits for a planet to come close to you. That would never happen because for one who says the planet is moving your direction. Two, you are also moving, this time dilation effect is only localized within the Event Horizon, the rest of the Black Hole itself would still be moving, and thus you would move. Thirdly it is not practical because only you and your crafts occupants would survive to tell of the journey, everyone else you left behind thousands or billions of years ago would be long dead so it is really pointless. Now I do believe it is possible to use Black Holes for FTL travel but in a much different aspect, that would be a wormhole type aspect, creating a 'bridge' between point A and B by curving spacetime.

new topics

top topics

join