It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are companies putting fraternal or masonic imagery in fictional stories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hi All

Rarely do I post new threads, I'm more a discusser of others ideas than my own but I sat their last night reading a science fiction novel by Games Workshop (Horus Rising), and almost every page is thinly disguised allegory for fraternal groups (possibly generically Masonic I hazard to guess).

So, my questions are thusly, to anyone who's read it and if possible, is also a Mason:

Are Games Workshop and or Dan Abnett using this as some means of connecting to Brothers or, is it the reverse, is it a tale of what happens when it goes too far and the fraternal group becomes involved in areas it shouldn't?

There are secret groups within groups, discussing religion and its merits etc, mentions of rituals and some very non disguised uses of, how to put it, generic 'craftness'. For example, the book I referred to is even called HORUS RISING and the imagery attached to the name, and the symbolism of his trappings (the adornments of his armour, his features, etc) continually make me think of the Craft. Now I don't profess to know everything there is to know about Masonic rituals or be a participant, which is why I'd like someone who IS a mason to perhaps comment to whether it is FOR or AGAINST masons.

I get very mixed vibes off the whole thing. Now I realise, that there is probably a very good chance that at least some parts of the company are masonic, it is a company based on sci-fi/fantasy and was run by people who were heavily into the D&D movement when it became popular in the 80s here in the UK.

I'm not dissing masons or anything like that, far from it, some of my family members are masons, my query is more a case of trying to understand why the book is so steeped in it all and what the aim of it was to get across to the reader - is it to make masons look bad, or good? Are there similar books you've noticed lately in the same vein? Its like I was very bored the other week and watched some cartoons from my youth that I remember as being fantastic as a kid, "He Man, Thundercats, etc" but I don't know if its just my years of reading all these theories, or that I'm older and hopefully wiser, but there seems to also be an inoordinate amount of subtle hints in cartoons from that era about secret societies too.

I just find it odd, and would welcome other's thoughts please.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm unfamiliar with that book and only have limited exposure to GW publications. (I was a gamer in the 80's-90's, but mostly stuck to TSR, White Wolf, or Steve Jackson Games...) So I can't say anything with any certainty. My gut reaction is that the unknown aspect of secret societies makes great fodder for certain genres of fiction because such books would instantly take on a plausible reality to some extent.

I'll try to track down a copy of the novel locally and if I can, I'll give you a more insightful take.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Thanks for your response, I'm collating a list of all the things I'm personally a bit suspect of, and those things I can 'identify' as craft or fraternally related so the resident Masons can give me a definite as to what exactly the point behind the symbols is according to what is given by their beliefs.

For a start, can any of the masons give me anything on the following FROM THEIR POINT OF VIEW, as in, a practicing Mason who understands the craft, not what I could read on FreemasonryWatch and which may be out of date, or incorrect.

1. Does the world Mournival mean anything to Masonry? Its a French word apparently that is related to having four of a kind in a card game and seems to be a descriptive for the king, queen, prince, and knave cards in particular (in the book it identifies a group of four important brothers who are joined as a cofraternaty and is outside the main chain of command but who are listened to more than others - i.e. fraternal favouritism)

2. I've been involved in a myriad of various religions, including many of the 'pagan' ones, but can someone give me a basic outline of what Horus and Horus Rising means to those who practice.

3. I recognise the Eye of Horus as a symbol in an of itself, but in the book, its more shaped like the eye of a cat (Bast?) rather than Horus' as it occurs in occultic literature, are there any mentions of other eyes and/or is the shape specifically important? There are also pendants produced by the company's jewellery arm that incorporate it before an eight pointed star, and as much as Moorecock moans he made it up, its been a symbol for chaos long before he decided it was.

Best I can find (but its not quite what I mean) is this:

www.gobiel.com...

The one printed on the cover, by someone who definitely IS a mason I have since discovered (and is an artist for GW, but that might merely be a coincidence) has a cat shaped pupil, has a red rim, a yellow scloera and black iris/pupil

3. Considerable use of the words "Illumination" and the use of lights in darkness, now I'm fairly aware of its use in the rituals, but are they in ALL the various variations of Rites?

4. Considerable use of the numbers 3, 4, 11 and 13. Significances?

I'll continue to write the others as I collate them, since those are the only ones I remember off the top of my . at the moment.

new topics

join