It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Soldiers Are Already Being Deployed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

As a Rutgers philosopher discusses robot war scenarios, one science magazine counts the ways robots are already being used in warfare, including YouTube videos of six military robots in action. There are up to 12,000 'robotic units' on the ground in Iraq, some dismantling landmines and roadside bombs, but 'a new generation of bots are designed to be fighting machines.' One bot can operate an M-16 rifle, a machine gun, and a rocket launcher — and 250 people have already been killed by unmanned drones in Pakistan. He also tells the story of a berser k robot explosives gun that killed nine people in South Africa due to a 'software glitch.

(links in the story)

Very interesting stuff, Terminator and Universal Soldier, here we come.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
But you might be even more shocked to learn that the Department of Defense (DoD) has put out a Request for Proposal (RFP) for a "Multi-Robot Pursuit System" software and sensor package that will enable teams of robots to "search for and detect a non-cooperative human subject.”

Don't Taze Me RoBro! hplusmagazine.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I found a video on youtube showing one of these robots, there pretty cool.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

The so-called robotic weapon that killed 9 soldiers in Lohatlaq South Africa does not really deserve to be on this list.

The weapon was a standard 35mm Oerlikon Anti-Aircraft cannon that used a targeting system based on active/passive radar as well as laser designators. Somehow the gun jammed, causing an explosion which then caused the gun to malfunction, spinning in circles and firing until its clip was empty.

I was in 10 AA Regiment from 1989 to 1990 and saw first hand the early development of this system when Swiss engineers defied the arms embargo to perfect the targetting mechanism.

True, the gun does have an automatic acquire/fire/reload system but I would hesitate before calling it a robot weapon.
Link

Still, interesting article

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

More info:

UPDATE: Jim O’Halloran of Jane’s Land-Based Air Defence is telling New Scientist that the incident was probably caused by "simple mechanical failure." "Like many weapons these days you can fire this gun from a remote position," says O’Halloran, "but it’s not a robotic weapon." While the gun is typically used with automated target-tracking systems, the decision to fire is left to the operator.

Link

It's all about splitting hairs I guess ... I think truly robotic weapons would be truly autonomous - being able to roam a battlefield and kill at will and return when it decides it needs refueling, more ammo, or repairs.

Thats when robot weapons become truly terrifying and we will truly live in the age of Terminator Robots.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
As I am sure many people will come in to explain, just because something is "unmanned" , does not mean it is a robot. These are all more like RC cars with guns as the command to fire weapons can only come from a human.

The only true "robot guns" I can think of are mounted on large naval ships and there are some installed in US military bases oversees. These guns automatically identify and destroy incoming missiles or mortars.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

It is a terrifying prospect. 'Imagine a laptop armed with an M16 machine-gun,' one expert said.

i love how "experts" never seem to know the difference between a machine gun and an assault rifle

new topics

top topics

join