It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Earth May Have Begun Much Earlier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Life on Earth May Have Begun Much Earlier

dsc.discovery.com

Life on Earth may have sparked into existence as early as 4.4 billion years ago, hundreds of millions of years sooner than previously thought possible, according to a study to be published Thursday.

"All the criteria necessary for life" - liquid water, energy sources such as sunlight, and chemical building blocks from meteors or Earth itself - "were present at least since 4.38 billion years ago," ...

"The antiquity of life may not be very much less than the Earth itself," ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.talkorigins.org
astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
A Different Way to Search for Life?
Bees vanish- all life has 4 yrs to live on Earth
Black hole on earth? Worrying possibility..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
In grade school I learned that the earth was about 5,000 years old, as were man and the rest of the ark's residents. I also was taught that everything exists as God first made it, immutably, and there was only one ice age.

Much has changed since then. I discovered, on my own, that people have different beliefs. Then too, I discovered science. More recently, I have become fascinated with the concept of evolution, and the role of proteins in driving mutation, adaptation and evolution.

Research published last week shows how a series of chemical reactions on early Earth could have produced ribonucleic acid, or RNA, a single-stranded cousin of the DNA that is the blueprint for all life.

Pushing back the date at which self-replicating life forms first emerged from the primordial soup would also explain how the relatively complex organisms that fossils records show existed 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago could have had time to evolve.

Does it really make a difference if life on earth is 4.4 billion or 3.5 billion years old, versus 5,000? Maybe. A lot can happen in a few years.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I never understood how people could believe the Earth was only 5000 years old. It just doesnt make sense to me. That would be awesome if life formed as soon as the crust formed or even before. Just think of the implications that would give toward life being nearly everywhere in the universe.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

That would be awesome if life formed as soon as the crust formed or even before. Just think of the implications that would give toward life being nearly everywhere in the universe.

Very good point!

'Course we might have to rethink what life is.

and ...can't believe nobody took the bait. Guess I'm not a very good manipulator...

top topics

join