It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(H1N1) Susceptibility Linked To Common Levels Of Arsenic Exposure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The ability to mount an immune response to influenza A (H1N1) infection is significantly compromised by a low level of arsenic exposure that commonly occurs through drinking contaminated well water, scientists at the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) and Dartmouth Medical School have found.

source article

Is this the answer to why the H1N1 has appeared to be so deadly in Mexico? Finally some facts and information that sheds light on this mystery.

"One thing that did strike us, when we heard about the recent H1N1 outbreak, is Mexico has large areas of very high arsenic in their well water, including the areas where the flu first cropped up. We don't know that the Mexicans who got the flu were drinking high levels of arsenic, but it's an intriguing notion that this may have contributed," Hamilton says.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by iforget]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Seems common knowledge that arsenic is considered toxic/deadly at high levels, but when you combine it with the drinking water in Mexico, then it does appear that factor could play a role in the high amounts of severe/fatal H1N1 cases there.

The article you found (credible source) also states that:

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers 10 ppb arsenic in drinking water "safe," yet concentrations of 100 ppb and higher are commonly found in well water in regions where arsenic is geologically abundant, including upper New England (Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine), Florida, and large parts of the Upper Midwest, the Southwest, and the Rocky Mountains, Hamilton says."

The piece also supports most of the severe/deadly cases in the U.S.,i.e., Arizona, Texas, Utah, California (all SW or Mexican border states)

But unless CDC and the govt eventually tell the truth about the number of cases, their severity levels, and actual causes of death, we may never have true answers to support the article's theory.

I would hope that they would screen for arsenic levels for likely cases but if they leave your body that quickly, that might be a moot point?

If the CDC/govt lies stop, then time will tell...In the meantime, we could post to this thread severe/fatal cases we are aware of and see if there is some correlation between arsenic water geography and H1N1 here in the states? Just thinking out loud...

on article and comments

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I read a few rticles about arsenic and flu recently as well. I know Mexico has higher levels- and certainly there are groundwater issues nearly everywhere- but it seems more probable to me that so many died in Mexico because they either
1) had substandard access to supportive healthcare, or
2) there is a co-factor of infection. It's widely known that aeombic dysentery is widespread in Mexico, as is cholera- is it possible that people who carry either would die more rapidly of ANY infection- espescially a flu that might be highly trophic to the GI tract?

Add arsenic to the mix and it's difficult to dissect variables. If anyone has more info on the arsenic link I'd be interested- for example- there are higher rates in NY, Illinois, Wisconsin, California- is there more arsenic in those water tables than elsewhere?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

To determine your own mercury level, all it takes is a small amount of hair. Thanks to the wonderful folks at the Environmental Quality Institute at the University of North Carolina-Asheville, we are able to offer this analysis at a fraction of the amount that it would cost at most commercial labs. For $25, you will receive sampling instructions, background documents about mercury and a consent form. Laboratory results will be confidential and will be mailed to you within two to three weeks of the sample.

Test Available Here

There are 244 mercury hot spots in North America. In Canada and Mexico, sites with high mercury concentration were selected as hot spots when the mercury concentration was greater than 10ppb. In the United States, hot spots are indicated where mercury concentration was above US environmental standards for mercury.

source

new topics

top topics

join