It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British space 'anomaly'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I did not see this posted on ATS before. This deserves attention as we finally will now have a British austronaut in space. Britan has been an anomoly in space exploration till today and needs to be congratulated for this step

It was a stunning announcement: Major Tim. British astronaut. His impact is going to be immense as an icon for science and technology.

No longer do the British media have to claim UK-born US citizens flying with Nasa as their own. They now have the real thing.

But that's not the point. The UK, for so long a bystander in the realm of human spaceflight, is now part of the game.

The UK, remember, once had its own rocket capable of putting a satellite in orbit. It simply gave it up.

the director-general of ESA, often describes the UK's position on space as an "anomaly".

Article: UK Space anamoly

[edit on 21-5-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
MAJOR timothy peake 37

did you hear his statement last night on the news?
"the next 10 years is going to see major scenarios in space"
please correct if misquoted, but i was in some sorta shock when he said this, did ESA on the job interview give him some teasers on the panel.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by foxhoundone]

[edit on 21-5-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Or perhaps just referring to the relative glut of projects that are in the pipeline?
Maybe even just a little over exuberance at the fact hes just landed one of the most sought after job in the field

Do find it interesting hes a former Army Air Corp flight tester , does anybody know if he has any other scientific background?
I've always thought it was a requirement you had to at least be a comparative
"expert" in a couple of fields , no point having some one on board that can only do one job if another can do two sort of thing....

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
With the state of Britain's finances for the foreseeable future I wouldnt be expecting a significant UK contribution to ESA for awhile.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
They could have at least picked an astronaut named Tom.

Oh what I wouldn't give to hear those words spoken in a British accent "Ground control to Major Tom"

:-)

new topics

top topics

join