It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What really happens to a soul when someone takes their own life?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well, I personally like to operate under the assumption that the universe is sentient in a way that probably exceeds our current understanding of what sentience is. Everything in the universe is an extension of itself that is there for a purpose, perhaps as a way of exploring and understanding itself.

That being said, I don't see that suicides are any differant than any other sort of death as far as the end effect on the soul. If a living entity is akin to a computer -- the mind is software, the body is hardware, and the soul is the user -- then any form of death is mearly the user standing up and moving to a differant machine or taking a break in the intergalactic coffee lounge. Suicides could be described to either the software formatting the hard drive or as the user getting ticked and shoving the computer off the desk.

[edited to fix typos and oddly formatted sentance]

[edit on 21-5-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

Well, if you dont beleive there's a God; then when people die, that's simply it, we are dust in the wind... just like the song says. NO GOD= NO SOUL. Period. There would have to be a source from which a soul could spring, if not, then the real soul of which you are talking, doesn't have any reason to exist IMO. That's what I can summate. But then again I beleive in a source and a soul.in other words we are just atoms that will break dwn and re-form to a different matter. There would be no conciousness for anyone but those alive in the physical realm.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
"The Hindu also knows that death must come naturally, in its own course, and that suicide only accelerates the intensity of one's karma, bringing a series of immediate lesser births and requiring several lives for the soul to return to the exact evolutionary point that existed at the moment of suicide, at which time the still-existing karmic entanglements must again be faced and resolved."

There is karma associated with everything we do, including Suicide and one must understand its significance.

For What is Suicide ? It is fundamentally the taking of a LIFE.... prematurely.
The taking of a life prematurely, whether it is our own or that of someone else does have negative Karma associated with it.

When we are reincarnated and sent back to a new physical body, our associated Karma weighs in on what type of life or existence we'll be subjected to and experience.

www.himalayanacademy.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

You asked :
What really happens to a soul when someone takes their own life?

For those who accept the 'cosmic model' of karma ( law of cause and effect ), the Tibetan 'take' on suicide is interesting.

According to the 'Tibetan view' there are four ( 4 ) 'aspects' or 'qualities' involved with any 'karma' ( skt : action ) -

1. The Motivation
  2. The Awareness
  3. The Action
  4. The Result

So, in the general case of 'killing' we have four suffering results:

1. The ripening aspect result – lower realm rebirth for a very long time. And three resultant sufferings in the human realm:
  2. The result similar to the cause – getting killed by others
  3. Possessed result, to do with the place – whatever view you hold is bad, the appearance you see is bad, living in a very dusty place, medicines, food become harmful to you and can cause harm, sickness and death.
  4. Creating the result similar to the cause – again you kill because of the past imprint of killing then you engage again and again in that negative karma.

In the particular case of suicide not all of the aspects are 'complete' since by the time ( 4 ), the result, occurs, one has become deceased and is not able to experience the result as a human being ...

Anyway, it's actually a pretty simple explaination, though I didn't do a very good job of it. But, what it boils down to is that it is not always a 'negative thing' to kill one's own self. It all depends on the 'motivation' ...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I believe we carry on no matter what. We continue to learn.

But I did hear on a Coast to Coast interview ( do not recall the interviewee ) and they were talking about death. They stated that if you die in a fearful state, you are pulled to the lower astrals for a time.

Apparently your guides and angels can get you out, but the fear factor alerts all the lower vibrations, and there you go. So if you aren't afraid during your suicide, you'd likely go where you'd go in a natural death...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by dmorgan

I am a little confused about your question. If you don't believe in God, then what do you think happens to a soul when the body dies? (natural causes)

Why would the soul be connected to religion?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Why would the soul be connected to religion?

Soul is related to a belief in the afterlife. No one (that I have ever heard of) believes in an afterlife but NOT have some concept of a universal mind or God of some type. So it is not connected to "religion" per se but it is connected to the realization of an unseen being.

Those that do not believe in any other power (athiests) typically believe that consciousness is just a chemical reaction and when the body does the consciousness dies.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

what she said. I was under the impression that an athiest thinks that when you die you stop existing. If you think otherwise then you would be an agnostic. But even then you wouldn't care what happened. So if you think you go somewhere and you claim no to beleve in God, then you might just be confused. If you care about where you go, then that should help in the confused part. It should steer you in a belief in a higher power sort of thought. I am not a church goer and realy don't aggree with organized religion at all. But I do consider myself a christian. thats why I get free beer when I die.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

Confussing question eh? I dont advocate suicide, but when you're dead, you're dead. Atomically we enter back into the void of yet-to-be possibilties. this is a scientific way of looking at re-incarnation.
The I, is only the Ego. Does the Ego carry-on? Another great question.
Ego is only the culmination of personal experience. Personal experience may be seen as a measure of fight/flight stimulus, that is memorized so that we recognise the difference between desirable and un-desirable situations. Gratifying situations become what we like, un-gratifying, what we shy away from.
So, No. I dont think anything different happens to the soul wether one experiences sudden death, suicide or whatever.
Is driving your car faster than what is warranted; you know you shouldn't, you crash, you die. Is this not suicide or potential?
We rationalize this with it being an Accident!
Is there any real difference?
But what do you think is the soul?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
As I was reading the L/L Research into the law of one, I came across this discussion...

"Questioner: Do I understand, then, that death, whether it is by natural means or accidental means or suicide, that all deaths of this type would create the same after-death condition which would avail the entity to its protection from friends? Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. We presume you mean to inquire whether in the death experience, no matter what the cause, the negative friends are not able to remove an entity. This is correct largely because the entity without the attachment to the space/time physical complex is far more aware and without the gullibility which is somewhat the hallmark of those who love wholeheartedly.

**However, the death, if natural, would undoubtedly be the more harmonious; the death by murder being confused and the entity needing some time/space in which to get its bearings, so to speak; the death by suicide causing the necessity for much healing work and, shall we say, the making of a dedication to the third-density for the renewed opportunity of learning the lessons set by the Higher Self.**

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I like to think that god puts most of the suicide souls in a recylcing bin. Not the good recycling bin, the one for idiots, to be made into cockroaches.
Some suicides are honorable and god rewards honor, but most are just pathetic attempts for attention.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthman4
I like to think that god puts most of the suicide souls in a recylcing bin. Not the good recycling bin, the one for idiots, to be made into cockroaches.
Some suicides are honorable and god rewards honor, but most are just pathetic attempts for attention.

What a vicious horrible thing to say.

I would caution you, my dear, you maybe tempting fate with your over the top arrogance.

And no, most SUCCESSFUL suicides are NOT for attention. People don't put a bullet in their head for "attention", they don't overdose in a hotel room with a plastic bag for "attention". They do it because they want to die.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
If a body is energy, water, and carbon, then obviously carbon and water will dissapate. Energy will not stop, or go away.

(I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been covered)

A body is not energy, the body creates energy from the food you consume.

The term 'energy' is simply the ability to do work, it's not a physical or spiritual thing.

Yes energy never 'dies', but it changes. This is where people go wrong in their interpenetration of the word 'energy'.

When a body dies the energy (chemical, heat, electric, kinetic and potential) is transferred to heat and chemical, and the body decomposes. The 'energy' of the body is transferred to heat and composition, but it doesn't go anywhere except into the ground.

Energy is not a physical thing that can be separated from it's source. It can only change, kinetic, potential, thermal etc.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
there are alot of possibilities and im still not sure which to believe but if your not a "religious" person (personally i think religion is bogus there are alot truths out there and no one religion tells it all) there is the theory that you were put on this earth to learn and if you fail to learn then when you die you get reincarnated into another body and get "memory scrambled" like men in black of your past life and you are put back on this earth to try and learn again. but if you do learn and do fulfill your ultimate purpose then you become a part of the infinite singularity. im saying basically hell on earth. but i dont believe in that, i believe that there are different planes of existence and if you are a good peson and lead a good life then you move up to another plane closer to god. but if you lead an evil life and dont fulfill your purpose (suicide included) you move down a plane.
there is also the possibility that when you die its just infinite blackness like before you were born. it even says in the bible you will return to where you came meaning you would have had to be there before. what do you remember from before you were born... nothing right? ...just darkness like an eternal sleep. maybe that why they put r.i.p. on nearly every headstone ((
))

[edit on 24-5-2009 by I_EAT]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
In my opinion the reason the problem over which the person commit suicide will not be gone in the afterlife. Suicide is no escape, he`ll still have to confront, process and move beyond whatever the problem was. While it may not manifest in the same way "on the other side", the energy itself (which is what a human IS, whether embodied or not) does not just go away if you kill yourself.

In fact, any emotional issue is saved in the energy-body, so killing the physical body is a silly non-solution. It could even magnify the problem because rather than dealing with it, one tries to escape.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

In fact, any emotional issue is saved in the energy-body, so killing the physical body is a silly non-solution. It could even magnify the problem because rather than dealing with it, one tries to escape.

This is interesting and I have to say that I do agree.
In my working environment ( a morgue), I must view the things I encounter day to day as clinical.
Although I do see the police reports, and there is obvious artefact on the individuals that I examine.
Being someone that has been heavily involved within ocult practise over the years I hve developed what I have named the "switch". This is probably nothing new, but for me a copping mechanism. This is to say that when I enter the mortuary, I must switch-off and just do the job; no empathy or emotional envolvement.
needless to say I have also had to apply the switch to my intuitive faculties also. If I didnt, I am sure they would drive me mad.
They? Lost souls.
Whilst working by myself there, I often sense (see) movement from the corner of my eyes; and sometimes get the definate feeling of presence.
I get to witness the many ways that people destroy themselves and others.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
My best friend has committed suicide and that made me invest a lot of thought about spiritual matters, such as where does the soul go.

I have concluded that actually there is no such thing as suicide. It is death just as any other - all deaths are the same, there are no IF's, no circumstances or anything. It is so, because a human being is led into inflicting a mortal blow to oneself by his environment - therefore, if anyone is to blame for anyone's death, it is everyone.

Since it is everyone's fault for everyone's deaths, it is in fact no one's fault and not only is it insane to blame anyone but it also causes damage to your own spirit to do so.

You can say for example, person Y has killed itself because of "the system", his girlfriend, his financial status, an emotional issue, mental illness.... but the truth is, it is not his own fault that he died. Even if you do think it's still someone's fault, then any death is someone's fault according to that belief. Human being is only enough mad to actually make his agony end, unlike most other earth creatures.

The point is that, suicide is death no different than any other. Unless of course, there is someone/something somewhere who has the power to punish souls for committing something he/she/it doesn't specifically like - call it god, devil, aliens, robots, pirates, ninjas....

To answer the original question: based on the above, I think the soul goes the same path irrespective of the conditions of death. It is just we have many scenarios, one life leads to a death by jumping into hot lava by accident, whilst other by jumping from a building intentionally. I can't say anything about karmic energies but I think killing anyone including one self does have a role in next reincarnation.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by SassyCat]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
In my opinion the reason the problem over which the person commit suicide will not be gone in the afterlife. Suicide is no escape, he`ll still have to confront, process and move beyond whatever the problem was. While it may not manifest in the same way "on the other side", the energy itself (which is what a human IS, whether embodied or not) does not just go away if you kill yourself.

Sky, I'm in complete agreement with you, suicide is definitely no escape. I believe that our souls are placed into these earthy bodies on this planet to learn and grow then we as souls will be able to move onwards and upwards.
Life and all it's tests is a gift, whether we believe it or not, everything we go through, and epecially how we deal with the tough times shapes our eternal soul.

I think that a soul who has commited suicide would get a life review as all souls do, they would be shown the pain and misery their suicide caused, they would actually be adding to their souls "debt".

Many suicides are to get back at a parent or partner, and done so out of hatred and revenge, I believe that those souls would be bounced straight back down here possilbly even facing harder challenges in their next life.

Amongst those living on the edge of hell in third world countries, suicide rates are relatively low.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

But, what it boils down to is that it is not always a 'negative thing' to kill one's own self.

I can't agree with that comment. Killing oneself is an act of anger, fear or just plain negativity. Even if it's a Buddhist monk doing it for a noble cause, it's still an act of anger against something.

It certainly hurts the people around one who commits suicide.

In Buddhism there is no concept of sin as such. Rather Buddhism believes in negative and positive actions like an escalator which goes up or down. So in Buddhism one would say that suicide is an act of attachment to the world of misery and thus a mistaken act which keeps one's soul trapped in the lower worlds.

Buddhism believes in the Ten Worlds which can be understood as ten states of consciousness on a continuum from dispair hatred and anger through to something like saintliness and finally Buddhism itself which is a total release from worldly pain through attainment of wisdom.

In Buddhism the escalator takes you down a floor or two when you kill yourself.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

The taking of one life dampens the progression of ones soul. The person is reincarnated for they have not succesfully learned the lesson in the physical universe.

And no, you will not be reincarnated from a king to a beggar, or a goat killer to a goat, simply reincarnated into a body in which it binds you to this physical universe.

-Psycho.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Psychonaughty]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join