It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What really happens to a soul when someone takes their own life?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I couldn't decide if this topic should go here, in the paranormal or medical forum. Please move it if you wish.

I guess no one really knows the answer to the question because you have to die first to know what happens when we pass away.

I'm looking for some opinions on this topic because it is very personal to me. I emailed a well known psychic, he's very good, not a half-baked-doing-it-for-the-money type, and asked him if he'd communicated with souls of people who have committed suicide, and if they were in the spirit realm or it just ends completely for them, that's it. I got this reply...

Hi ****,

**** does receive messages from those in spirit who have committed suicide.

Kind regards,

I have just done a Google search about this very topic and most of the websites give a Christian answer and say anyone who takes their own life will go to hell. I am not a christian, I don't believe in God. If you asked a non-religious person what they thought, I wonder what the answer would be?

I found one, maybe two sites where the answer was that people who have killed themselves will reincarnate at some time and finish what they were put here to do. I understand these are mostly opinions, and it depends on the beliefs of the individual. But for a non-religious human being, what do you think will happen?

I'm just interested in what happens to the souls of people who take their own lives, and whether or not they are treated worse or better, and if there really is a hell equivalent to the spirit world that they would go to.

Are there any mediums on the board? If there are I'd love to hear of any experiences regarding this subject and if you want, you can U2U me about it if you don't want to discuss it in the open forum.

Thanks...

[edit on 21/5/09 by dmorgan]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hi,

I was thinking along similar lines a while ago and started a thread on it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are some good replies there you may like to read.

As for me, it's still something I think about and cannot decide.

MR

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It goes to the same place it was before it began... nowhere and everywhere.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

I am a little confused about your question. If you don't believe in God, then what do you think happens to a soul when the body dies? (natural causes)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If you believe God gave you free will, then does that not include the choice to end your own life? I think the same thing happens to those who commit suicide as those who die in any other way. I can't believe in hell or any type of infinite judgment for a finite action. Or if you don't believe in an afterlife then it doesn't matter anyway.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Marlborough Red - thanks for the link, the thread didn't turn up in the search results but there's some good information there.

network dude - I didn't make the question overly complicated, at least I tried not too. I'm not sure what happens to a "normal" soul when the body dies, but I'm interested in the "troubled" souls and what happens to them, whether or not there is any punishment for "taking the easy way out" which in fact it's not. I don't believe in God, but I believe we're eternal and go on after physical death. Maybe soul is the wrong word...

miraclerock - I don't believe in any God, so therefore I don't believe God gave me free will... unless by God you mean universal creation, I've heard it referred to like that before.

[edit on 21/5/09 by dmorgan]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Yea, I should have made that more clear. Everyone views God in a different way, when I say God I mean the source of all creation, whatever that may be.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by miraclerock]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I believe the same thing happens to suiciders then to those who died natural... I don't know what that is exactly but I'm convinced death is not the end

I wrote this a while back, on the suicide of my brother:
windroses

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

I was just trying to understand your idea of "afterlife". My personal belief if that whatever you think "heaven", or "the afterlife" is will be what you see. If a body is energy, water, and carbon, then obviously carbon and water will dissapate. Energy will not stop, or go away. So your energy will go somewhere. I take comfort in knowing what I believe and realy don't fear death at all. (my version of heaven has a lot of beer) But my niece killed herself a few years ago and it wrecked the family. She tried several times and I talked with her and got the idea she realy wanted attention. She was looking to the loved feeling she got when eveyone was afraid for her. The last time I think was the same "attempt" but went too far. She does visit me often. Not in the ghost I can see sense, but in the thoughts that pop into my head in certain situations. If I see something that I have seen 1000 times before and all of the sudden it's beautiful and I get the feeling she is there with me seeing it, I think thats her. She also leaves me coins. Usually pennys, but once a quarter. That sounds like a am a few samwiches short of a picninc I know, but not realy. Her sister came to see us last year and when I went to the airport to get her we were waiting by baggage claim. Her bag finnaly came out of the tunnel on the belt and on top of her bag was a shiny quarter. I laughed and said Tina must have gotten a raise. Then I thought it might sound wierd to her sister who had no idea about my penny thing. When I explained myself to her she laughed with tears and said that she also got lots of pennys and believed they came from Tina. Who would have thought? So while my answer is one old fat guys theory, a soul will stay around and look after the ones that they loved untill everyone meets up somewhere. (at a realy cool bar with free beer)

I am a christian but I don't buy into the going to hell theory unless the person was a bad person. While suicide is a permanent soution to a temporary problem, most I think would take it back if they could. Unfortunately it too late then.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

As a child, with my family, I grew up with spiritualism and had seances every couple of weeks from the age of 8yrs old. My father was a medium, and a close friend of a world renowned medium, whom was a clairvoyant, clairaudient and medium, her name was Doris Stokes.

I was bought up with spiritualism in my life and what was materialized and communicated was very real indeed.

I can tell you that all mediums, and spiritualists will tell you that the spirits whom communicate, say that God is real in the higher spheres of where the spirits are, whom are communicating. That is interesting in itself.

I just wish I was never involved, because there are lost troubled souls, and an evil, within that realm as well.

I could tell you more, but I cant, as you don't believe in God, and you only want comments from those whom have a non christian perspective of your question, but that's ok.

Peace my friend.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My mother has some personal experiences of 'seeing the afterlife' in my opinion and she says we relearn things when we die and if need be we are reborn into another life.

LV

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Suicide is accepted in most major religions and cultures other than the Abrahamic religions.

The Buddhists certainly don't have a problem with it, nor do the Hindus, nor did the ancient Romans. It was considered honorable in most ancient cultures, and still is in many today.

The prohibition on suicide is purely a cultural belief spawned primarily by Christianity (and also Islam). Could be a martyr thing based on Christ, or a control thing, who knows. The Jews don't have such a strong opinion on the matter, and actually admire martyrs that have committed suicide.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
My mother has some personal experiences of 'seeing the afterlife' in my opinion and she says we relearn things when we die and if need be we are reborn into another life.

LV

Yes, that is what the "spirits" say. That we continue to learn, and as we learn, we grow into a higher realm of a beautiful replica of this world. They make it sound nice.

They say no more pain, only love, your friends and family whom have passed on will meet you and be there, its always light but no sun ,and so on.

The thing is, how do we know what spirit is communicating, and if it is true what is being communicated?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DarksDeception

Well I can only reply in the perspective of her experience. She was with who she saw as the arch-angel Michael. He was with her throughout the majority of the duration of her 9 hours of visions. He showed her many things. He even took her below the sphinx and she was left with a impression that our idea of 'god' ties deeply to Egypt's Ra. Her vision seemed to tie in many different faith beliefs even though she was a devout Christian.

She did see loved ones, more angels then she could count and the last part of her vision she was standing at a gate. She was told all she had to do was push it open.

She judged her own self with a divine eye it seemed. She kept saying 'how did I ever loose this knowledge'.

It only makes sense to me as well, the template of nature shows us recycling in all things. Nothing wasted or lost.

She also saw herself in a pst life in the times of Jesus, was even describing the jewelry she was wearing and how Pilate was unsure about having Jesus crucified. Funny thing is, she has had dreams of this 'pst self' many times but didnt connect it as her own self literally.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
GypsK - I read your thread, very sorry for your loss but I think you have showed me that people who have taken their own lives can still live on in the spirit world and have limited contact with loved ones.

network dude - I'm so sorry for your loss but I admire your point of view on the subject, it's unique to me anyway. The coin thing is nice, and it does seem that troubled people that have passed over are still with us and maybe even happier(?) on the other side.

DarksDeception - I appreciate your post about your experiences with mediums and your view on this. Maybe there is a higher spiritual power that is called God by different religions, and maybe it does exist even to people who don't follow a particular religion.

LeoVirgi - Interesting thoughts. I have read a bit about this belief that everything including death is an experience and we are constantly learning from things like this that follow on into the afterlife.

Sonya610 - It's interesting that suicide is accepted in some religions like you say, I didn't know that, except the Japanese belief. The reason those minority religions see it as a sin could be a control thing like you mentioned, maybe to keep people following? I don't know.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Thanks for sharing your mothers experience. Even as a Christian, I can say that none of us, especially most Christians have got it right. There are so many things that religion has got very very wrong.

And as far as suicide is concerned, I believe Gods grace is what it is to that individual, in relation to their heart at the time of suicide.

Maybe they also continue to learn in the after life to reach Jesus, and may have opportunities to start this life again if wanted. But maybe not. Even as a christian, I seriously don't know! YET!

I don't believe it says in the bible that there is a hell of eternal pain and suffering.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I just read an interesting book, but forgot the title, something like " LIfe after Death, and Beyond" was written in the 70's. Was a very interesting read.

They talked about those that commit suicide, will still feel the pain and everything that caused that pain but now without the body. This guy believed in reincarnation though, and said it would take that soul longer to journey back again and that that soul would re live the same experience, until it worked though it.

Not my beliefs, but an interesting book it was none the less. This guy tied in science, God, reincarnation, all in one book. Was a unique view.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Tricky subject. I suppose it all depends, ... if a person takes their life because they are truly ready to go, ..... then thats that, ... the soul is liberated and continues on its way. However, alot of suicides are done by extremely depressed people. and this is no state to cross over in. .... no state. as painful as their grief is, most people cannot be rid of it. as much as it hurts, ... it is all they know. trying to escape from it will only carry on this problem to the next life. shortly after suicide some will wake up in their bed with no recollection of it, .... creating the world around them as they see fit. however this world only reflects their pain. This trap does not strike only suicides, but anyone. the good news is, .... the nightmare is over when you realize it is, .... the only struggle is with ourselves. We wake up when were ready, ... on this, or ... any world.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't think it matters how you die...thousands, if not more, die from accidental suicides all the time. Nearly a million die each year from suicide. In the end, the result is the same....regardless of how you die, you're dead.
I wouldn't know what happens to a -soul- afterwards...I don't think it would be any different from someone who died of cancer.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurstHowever, alot of suicides are done by extremely depressed people. and this is no state to cross over in. .... no state. as painful as their grief is, most people cannot be rid of it. as much as it hurts, ... it is all they know. trying to escape from it will only carry on this problem to the next life. shortly after suicide some will wake up in their bed with no recollection of it, .... creating the world around them as they see fit. however this world only reflects their pain.

Very well stated and I have thought about that a lot too.

On the otherhand a lot of depression is in fact created by chemical imbalances in the body. So it comes down to mind over matter?

Many people die painful deaths from cancer or other illnesses, one could say they created that reality for themselves so that reality could be recreated in the afterlife too, right? But we would never say that about a physical disease like cancer, we just assume that once they are dead they are "at peace and painfree". However in the case of chemical/hormonal depression we assume that is a product of the mind, a personality flaw, that could carry over to the afterlife.

I think it is rationalizing an ingrained prejudice against suicide, as why would mental pain be all that different than manifesting physical pain? There is no difference.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join