It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Websites 'keeping deleted photos'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Websites 'keeping deleted photos'

news.bbc.co.uk

User photographs can still be found on many social networking sites even after people have deleted them, Cambridge University researchers have said.

They put photos on 16 popular websites - noting the web addresses where the images were stored - and deleted them.

The team said it was able to find them on seven sites - including Facebook - using the direct addresses, even after the photos appeared to have gone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
So why are they 'lazy' at removing pictures when there has been a specific request to have it removed?

Data collection? Facial recognition data bases? Sold on for identity fraud? Any other reason?

"This demonstrates how social networking sites often take a lazy approach to user privacy, doing what's simpler rather than what is correct.

"It's imperative to view privacy as a design constraint, not a legal add-on."

Facebook seems almost determined to keep anything and everything that is ever submitted to the site, but why?

What is the true nature and agenda of Facebook?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

It is true that Facebook and many other social networks keep and track your data and pictures.

Beware of Facebook!!!

Remember, information is power.

The White House on Facebook : Care To Share Directly With Obama?

Never surrender power.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
They probably just screwed up and the images were loaded from their browser cache

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This is because they can. Its not like the police have the time just to tell myspace, twitter, facebook or any other site to follow every single law and that they need to delete the things that people pretty much gave to them

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pizzle11

They still have an obligation the their users...

Let's look at ATS for example.. This site is very tight in making sure that it 'does as it says on the packet'.

Warnings, bans, mod edits etc are there for a reason. If you break rules here, you soon get sorted out.. The staff here are fabulous in the way they are able to jump onto and sort out any issue that arises, and with the new extension of the media portal, any and all images can be easily removed at the drop of a hat.

So why is it that sites like facebook can get away with breaking the terms and conditions that they create for us?
f ATS did the ame, you can be sure someone, somewhere, would jump on it like a ton of bricks..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
There was a Facebook post here years back warning people about something like this. The masses shun and laugh at sites like ATS due to their fallacious popular belief and now they're making it mainstream news. It was news before but nobody bothered to listen.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
They probably just screwed up and the images were loaded from their browser cache

That is probably so true and such a simple answer it's probably the correct one. You have chosen wisely.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If that is correct, how long does their browser cache stay available?

According to the report, they had checked back 30 days later to see if the images had gone.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The internet is like the world is and sites are individual countries. Some are on the eve of deletion because of whats displayed or the amount of people visiting. But the top websites can be related to the united states, if they get too powerful they become corrupt and thus become above the law. One person cannot change what a global website can do if you question their laws you will get banned and kicked out of the country of the website

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Some people have theirs set for 30/60/90 days some as high as 6 months. Others even higher.
I have my own shop I do PC repairs ETC and see it all the time.

Do it monthly, heavy users biweekly.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

You do realize that there are companies out there that "backup" all social networking sites and after the proper payment is made made by say a future employer, they can find out what you say about yourself, pictures you post about yourself and family, friends. People have lost their jobs because of this.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Its in the facebook terms of service, they reserve the right to keep the rights to all of your pictures and information indefinitely.. they also reserve the right to automatically research you across the web to build up information about you in order to possibly sell it to a third party marketing company.

Dunno why the vid doesn't work, here's the link - www.youtube.com...

Tbh, It annoys me a bit but I still keep the sites for promoting my business.

[edit on 21/5/09 by Dermo]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Tip of the iceberg.

When you upload any file to a remote server it will in 99.9% of the cases be stored there on a hard drive. These hard drives are usually mirrored--as in several physical drives contain the same data for redundancy-- and have scheduled backups, so even if you "made a mistake" and delete your file after some time, chances are they will have your file copied on a number of mediums.

Furthermore, when a delete command is issued, the operating system will not really delete --as in overwrite-- the physical area of the drive because that is considered time consuming. What actually happens is that the named entry for your file is deleted from the registry of files. It's kind of a excel spreadsheet table. So your data will remain on the hard drive, a bit hard to find, but still, until that physical space gets overwritten by some other data. Sometimes that happens right away other times it can stay there for months.

If you are serious about your computer security be sure to always rewrite the actual storage location of your deleted files.

I have heard of some successful attempts to restore even those disks that have been erased using a low level format, bit I'd imagine that being quite a costly procedure.

Kind regards, M.

Oh, and if you want the website to be reloaded ignoring your cached files press Ctrl + F5.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If tis found on other sites you can delete it from your hosting website and its gone.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
That's just another reason for me NOT to ever use those sinister sites. Good call Extralien

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Same here, I try my hardest not to put anything about me on the net.. except for my thoughts, opinions, writing style... Otherwise there is very little online about me...

Lol.. It's bad enough what all my friends know.. hehehehe

But I just don't trust these places.. We got no real way of observing them and how or what they do with our data, but they are so easy to jump in and grab as much about us as they can...

top topics

join