It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ hunts accidental millionaires

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Just the sort of thing many would do...

But very wisely and you tenderly touch upon

Property is a good one.. There are several ways to get money out of a country really quickly and get it latched into property..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I can't believe how dishonest you are. What a sad state to be in.

I found a £10 note outside a shop once and gave it to the shopkeeper to see if anyone came to claim it. Do you know why?
Because i could just imagine a child being given that £10 note and being sent to the shops for something. can you imagine the relief that they would have felt on being handed that note back. No one did claim that money and the shopkeeper gave it to me two weeks later.
Have you ever seen a money bag bulging at the seams with the weekends takings from a multi million pound company. Found one of those once, the director put it on the floor while he got something out of the boot of his car but then forgot about it. I handed it in.

You will get far more out of not keeping things that arn't yours than by being dishonest, well, most people would...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

If it were me, I'd find a country that didn't have an extradition treaty with New Zealand. Find a way to launder it, and live like a king.

Oh, and good for them. If the banks screw you out of money, it takes forever to get it back if you get it back at all.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

Yes, it's only proper to do that. Here in the United States, I'd do the same with with the exception of a wallet or other item like that. Why? Because here the chances that the person that lost it would claim they had x amount of cash that was missing is high. Wallets, and such will be thrown in the nearest trash bin, unopened. You may be honest, but there's no guarantee that the person who stole it is honest. Throwing it away beats being charged for theft of something that wasn't there to begin with.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This happened to a relative a dozen years back, she was surprised to find 6million in a savings account. She's one of those law abiding citizens, so of course she reported the error to the bank even thought the bank hadn't noticed that it was sitting there for several weeks.

Personally I'd have transferred it elsewhere and began a life somewhere tropical...hahahaha

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jon1

Me, dishonest???

I reckon you should watch the video in this thread;
zeitgeist addendum
and then tell me who is dishonest...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Leo Gao (the man in question) is believed to have gone to China as he is a citizen. New Zealand has no extradition treaty with China so if he has made it there then he is free to spend.

As to the bank crying ( Westpac Bank) they have just declared a huge profit and during a recession. Many New Zealanders on talk back radio are saying good on him...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Thanks for the update on that Greenfruit.. let's hope he did make it out.

It really is about time these banks realised that we wont be pushed around anymore.. they play with and risk our money so they can profit from it, yet they charge us to the hilt for any slight problem, but getting anything out of them (even if it is your own money) reqires ID verified, certified, signed by a lwayer, doctor, soldier, candle stick maker, photocopied in triplicate, sent off for recognition and finally submitted under a full annual board meeting to discuss costs of any wirthdrawl..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
i find it difficult to sympathize with the banks and i congratulate someone who finally came out on top for once when dealing with banks, however i know someones head will roll and you can be sure it wont be a highly paid manager or exec, it will be a lowly teller earning about 15-17 dollars an hour and the bank will want its money back one way or the other.

my mother worked as a bank teller and at one stage one of the workers there was stealing money ended up stealing over 200,000 every staff member there was interrogated and treated like criminals my mum ended up on anti-depressants and drank very heavily after all that it was terrible what was done to all the other innocent staff members and when the perp was caught there was no sorry /my bad the bank just craped on them even more. my mum has delt with it and moved on and is alot happier in her new job but during those times things were really bad for her.

gives you a perspective that because of this even those who did nothing wrong will suffer with the person who made the mistake, its just the way greed operates.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Personally Im kinda bored with it already, then again this is New Zealand and our media has a habit like many others to do something to death which doesnt deserve to even really be news.

Was "what the heck" when I heard about it yesterday morning but why its front page and headline news is beyond me. In reality the two who ditched and ran with the money are kinda idiotic I mean this money is gonna be easy to find and they cant really spend large amounts nor transfer it as a whole without it being noticed and traced. If they managed to pull it out as cash somewhere then I shake my head in amazement at what ever bank allowed that so easy.

Yay for humans doing stupid spur of the moment things when a moment of rational thought would have saved them a jail term. Would I do the same... 95% sure I wouldn't since I know that if I did id have to really have planned it out unlike these two num nuts.

Now can the NZ media get back to real news rather than this celebrating of stupidity piece. As for getting one up on the banks... sure might sound great but where a small country this will no doubt end up being 'fixed' by the investors and Westpac customers if the banks unable to get it back.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The bank makes far more interest on the money in your savings account than you do. They make it by investing it. If you deposited 10 million into a bank intending to deposit 10,000 , you might get a .02% return on that investment in the day that it's in the bank. They'll probably several times that return - and that's all money that could have been yours if you'd not made the typo.

Now, if you wrote to that bank asking for the remainder of the interest earned, they would tell you that you were out of luck. You'd have no recourse. That interest would be lost. A day's worth of interest is actually quite a bit on 10 million. :-)

If you are responsible for your mistakes, the bank should be responsible for theirs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join