It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ hunts accidental millionaires

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

NZ hunts accidental millionaires

news.bbc.co.uk

Police in New Zealand are searching for a couple who disappeared after a banking blunder deposited NZ$10m (£3.9m, US$6m) in their account.

The couple had applied for a NZ$10,000 overdraft but received NZ$10m in their business account instead, part of which they withdrew, local media report.

They are said to have run a service station in Rotorua, North Island.

Police believe the couple have left the country and Interpol has been alerted for assistance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Where would you go if this happened to you?

Or would you alert the bank to the error they made?

How would you get around the issue of withdrawing the money when you needed it?

In all fairness, though, after all that these banks have done for (to) us, you'd think a little revenge would go down a treat..

I bet many people are laughing at this banks error and are warmly congratulating this couple.

I feel that i don't want Interpol, or anyone, to catch up with these two.. I hope they get away with it..

Some of us deserve this to happen..

I know what I would do if it happened to me.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
truthfully money is the most useless thing on the planet. we do not need it to survive and we kill all the poor cotton plants to make it. the world puts limits on how much you can have on you at a single time and if you dont have enough of it then your worthless to the world. people that have money either got it by their parents when they died or something that is useless and corrupts the world even more... we should abolish it

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The bank should get their crap in order. I'm sure Interpol has better things to worry about then cleaning up a banks mistake? I doubt I could do what they did, but Mexico would probably work, get some fake id, etc.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

The CIA loses that much per day!

Loses, and doesn't have the awful time to look for it, a trillion here a trillion there, I mean really who can keep up!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Its not their money!
So they should give it back thats everyone elses money.Its also law here that if you receive money thats not yours in anyway, say an employer over paying you, a clerk giving you to much change, you are legally required to give it back.

I got given $1000 to much by my bank a couple of years ago the day before i went on holiday.I withdrew cash for exchanging into spending money.Didnt realise until i was at the airport exchanging currency i had to much, so i stashed the grand in my pack fr the holiday.As soon as i got back i went to the back and gave it back.The ladies at the bank(who i all know)were so relieved they were hauled over the coals for it.Later that day i received a bouquet of flowers a box of chocolates some lotto tickets and a thank you card.

Some people have no honour.Keeping what is not rightfully theirs.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

That's a very good point.. you don't see Interpol, or anyone else for that matter, chasing any lost money from these institutions...

It has to go somewhere... it must be sitting in someones account..

How they lose it is one thing.. how they can't find it just bad practice.

You walk down the street and drop 10 bucks and you know it's gone for good..

finders keepers, losers weepers..

Should be the same for anything..you lost it, your fault.. I found, i'm keeping it.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Hmmm, of this happened to me I would immediately remove the money, transfer it to a private account in another country and then to many smaller accounts in even more countries and disappear as fast as possible.

As was said above me.

Finders keepers, losers weepers.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

If you accidently overpaid someone than you'd be sweet with them running away with your money?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Really, I don't even think that should be a crime. You shouldn't be able to just give something to somebody and then say "Wait, no, I think I want that back now" and have that stick.

It was the bank's mistake, it should be the bank's problem. Most banks are pretty quick to let their customers take the financial hit when they're the ones who make an error, so why shouldn't the bank have to cover their own butt as well?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

You think with ten mill they are just going to let it go?Have you not heard of mistakes?But of course all banks are evil blah blah blah doesnt matter some poor employees there are now in the breadline because someone pushed the zero key one to many times.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Let me ask you something. If the customer accidentally put 10 million in a savings account with the bank when they meant to put in 10,000, and the next day they discovered the mistake, do you think the bank would give back the interest when the customer explained this to them? Sure, they'd get their 10 million back by just withdrawing it, but it's the same thing.

Banks can quickly and easily make 10 million by holding customers responsible for typos, so why should they get any slack? As for somebody being on the breadline, well... type better.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by mattifikation]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
If I was walking down the street and someone dropped a tenner and didn't notice, but I went ahead and picked it up, didn't say anything... then the person realised they had dropped it, saw me putting it into my pocket...

They cannot claim it was theirs. The only way they could prove it was theirs is by knowing the number printed onto the note itself.

Yes, fingerprints might be on it, but that might be beacuse i was given the note as change from a store. Chances of that happening are slim, but possible..especially if we had both just walked out of a store.

The number on the notes is the only way...

If a bank made this mistake then they should provide the number on every note that was given to/taken from this account, prove the connection between it all ...

But they can't provide those numbers because all this money is just a digital transfer, it does not exist.

No crime committed

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Its completely different like you said you can just get your ten million back and im not sure what your on about with the interest thing?The bank would of paid interest on the customers 10 mill so its win win for the customer.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

So is that like saying if i found your car keys and took your car and you didnt know your rego or chassis number hard luck for you?
No matter how you try justify it or twist it, its dishonest.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

Posession is nine tenths of the law.. and your scenario with the car keys would be correct.. it would be up to me to prove it was my car.. I would have to provide documented evidence to show that it belonged to me and not to anyone else.

in this case, registration documents, with all the numbers, in my name.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

The bank has a paper trail proving its their money.Posession being 9/10ths of the law might of worked back in cave man days but we live in a modern and civil society.Otherwise your neighbourhood robber wold be entitled to keep what he stole.Or anyone with a bigger stick could just take what they want.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Believe it or not, a business associate once deposited a $10,000 check and the cashier added a zero. He didn't run with the money though and notified the bank.

Another time 2nd day after I opened a franchise, a new employee meaning to charge 11.43 to a creditcard accidently charged $11,143 to the credit card. Amazingly it went right through, and after an hour on the phone, the customer had their money returned to their creditcard. It was funny, he was joking around asking which square feet were now his

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
I know what I would do if it happened to me.

I would take it all and bail out of the EU asap.. move to Japan or something.. give the banks back a taste of their own medicine.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Maybe this is a lesson to us all... We should at all time have a few Swiss numbered bank accounts (whatever numbered means! maybe anyone who has a number code can access them?) Any who, millions deposited wrongly? Make it disappear! And make sure you also disappear, keep the money moving and drink as many cocktails on as many beaches as your luck will allow... Don't shove the money in other peoples faces, it's not really yours after all - just book a liver transplant in advance and live it large

top topics

<<   2 >>

join