It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check it out, folks: Brand new conspiracy against HSBC involved mass mailing of bogus 'real' check

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
(See HSBC is one of the largest banks in the world www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yesterday I got a $3,800 check and a letter from HSBC bank saying I was given a 'mystery shopper' job. I called the number on the letterhead and was instructed to deposit the bank in my account, then I'd be instructed to buy gas to price check it then to go to Western Union.

I went on the internet and got another phone number and call them and was told it's a scam going around.

Well, I thought, "This is an intelligence operation." Who else is big enough to get counterfeit checks and mass mail them and list the damn number where they can be reached and not get caught?

Then it dawned on me, since the mortgage crises was economic warfare of the interlocking directorate of the fed featuring one team of directors against another, resulting in the largest (Nazi) banks taking over other banks after setting the other banks up in the mortgage crises ... here it is again. Now the banks are snapping after their own tails.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
To be really honest I don't think it has anything to to with the banks at all. I believe it is probably just some rouge scam artist having their try at catching you out. Do you know what scale this scam is at? Do you know others effected by it?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The scam works because they get you to deposit the check then go purchase fuel with it then you are supposed to got western union and send them the remaining cash back (less a handling fee for your self, usually a few hundred bucks) then mail them the gas reciept also. By the time the check comes back as bad you're already out the gas money and the money you sent them somewhere in eastern europe.

There are hundreds of variations on this scam and it has been around for a while. The bank my wife works at keeps a list of the usual "problem" checks and warns customers who try and deposit them in branch through a teller.

Counterfit checks are easy to do anyone with a good laser printer and access to check making software ($50 on ebay) can make one that looks good with out the security features, making ones that have the correct watermarks under black light is harder but it still gets done now and then.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Email the nigerians and tell them you you sent the money by western union.

Then wait for them to start going nuts when they don't get there money.
or better yet tell them you are using a fake name have a account in the same fake name and you have just cashed the check and are going to keep THERE money all for yourself.

They will then go nuts and call you a thief and threaten to turn you into the FBI.

Then frame the fake check as proof you have scammed a 419 scammer.

Many of us 419 baiters collect these checks as souvenirs.

Some schemes are based solely on conning the victim into cashing counterfeit check. The scammer will contact the victim to interest them in a "work-at-home" opportunity, or asking them to cash a check or money order that for some reason cannot be redeemed locally. A recently-used cover story is that the perpetrator of the scam wishes the victim to work as a "mystery shopper", evaluating the service provided by MoneyGram or Western Union locations within major retailers such as Wal-Mart.[33] The scammer sends the victim a check or money order, the victim cashes it, sends the cash to the scammer via wire transfer, and the scammer disappears. Later the forgery is discovered and the bank transaction is reversed, leaving the victim liable for the balance. Schemes based solely on check cashing will usually offer only a small part of the check's total amount, with the assurance that many more checks will follow; if the victim buys in to the scam and cashes all the check, the scammer can win big in a very short period of time. Other scams such as overpayment usually result in smaller revenues for the scammer, but have a higher success rate as the scammer's request seems more believable.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.419legal.org...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Marvel

Not sure of the scale. I think it was a mass mailing. The real bank is tight lipped about it.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Thanks for filling me in. I knew a little about it, but not that much.

new topics

top topics

join