It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misleading Story of the Month: Majority of Americans "Pro-Life"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Misleading Story of the Month: Majority of Americans "Pro-Life"

www.allgov.com

When Gallup released a poll last week showing a majority of Americans considered themselves pro-life (51%-42%), opponents of abortion used the data to show that President Barack Obama’s liberal policies had galvanized Americans into moving away from the pro-choice camp. Some pollsters, however, wondered if the Gallup results truly reflected a major shift in public opinion on such a controversial subject, given that other recent polling data has shown no signs of Americans becoming more conservat
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gallup.com

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
First of all let me begin by saying that the purpose of this thread is not to discuss this abortion issue. There are plenty of threads where these polemics can be considered and discussed.

The issue here is that last month's now infamous Gallup poll, which showed a stunning reversal of public opinion on the abortion issue, was in fact the result of either erroneous methodology or statistical aberration.

For those who are interested in the details, a short but thorough explanation is provided within the article.

Of course in light of the surprising results of the Gallup poll, many others followed to either confirm or negate it, so far as I can tell, all have done the latter

In fact, following the political fallout of the original poll, one crucial element seemed to slip the minds off those who were celebrating at their then apparent victory.

Namely that ...

... the same Gallup poll that said that a majority of Americans are pro-life, only 23% thought that abortion should be completely illegal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As you were.

www.allgov.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Nobody cared when it showed the opposite.

Thats all I have to say about that.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Nobody cared when it showed the opposite.

Thats all I have to say about that.

you got a point here .

when poll showed the other way everyone jumped on the pro choice bandwagon.

it says another thing now...

face it people....
No one want's to see a baby or fetus die for no reason.
that's common sense.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I think that Obama HAS galvinized America on this subject. As someone who is prolife, I found the bill that he sponsered in Illinois to be an abomination. If a doctor was performin an abortion, and the fetus was viable, the nurses were supposed to just put the baby in the soiled utility room and let it die. This shows how much respect this man has for life.
I believe the poll probably has some validity, especially since it was done just before his speech at Notre Dame.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I think that Obama HAS galvinized America on this subject.

My observation is that this is an issue on which there are very few "undecided" and one that people, once they have formulated their position, seldom change their minds.

This should have been the first indication that the original poll was flawed.

Perhaps Obama's administration has galvanized the Pro-Life proponents, but only in the same way that the Bush administration galvanized Pro-Choice proponents.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
My opinion on the poll is that it is complete lunacy.

I know zero people in my daily life that are pro-life.

I tend to believe that the Gallup poll was conducted in a nefarious manner allotting to the current findings.

Might I add that I have a very broad spectrum of people I am around throughout my daily life.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

In a thread in BTS (where that pesky "submit" button exiled it to) I reflected on this poll and its apparent findings.

As any familiar with my posting in associated threads will already know I am strongly anti-abortion but I noted, and note here again, that there should be caution shown in looking at this poll, precisely for the reason you point out SD.

I feel that what the poll shows is that "abortion" has become such a loaded and politicised (partisan) term in the US (and more broadly in the Western World) that in certain circumstances terminations are conisdered to be something else. The consistent presentation of health and rape/incest by the pro-choice advocates has made terminations in these instances not "abortions" but "therapies". This has been done despite the minimal proportion of abortions carried out for these reasons. Culture has become comfortable with a certain level of terminations hence the small proportion who would make abortion legal/illegal in all circumstances.

Both sides of the debate have used the rhetoric of extremes to support their cause and both sides actions result in this phenomenon where more people may identify themselves as "pro-life" but in terms which are relative.

The fundamental question is if life is precious is it not so in all circumstances, what could possibly make one child relatively more/less important than another?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

I tend to believe that the Gallup poll was conducted in a nefarious manner allotting to the current findings.

Well, there is a chance that that might have happened.

But polls that yield results which are outside of the statistical margins of error have been know to happen without nefarious intentions. The folks over at Gallup usually know what they are doing, they seem to just have gotten this one wrong.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
My opinion on the poll is that it is complete lunacy.

I know zero people in my daily life that are pro-life.

Might I add that I have a very broad spectrum of people I am around throughout my daily life.

You have to know that anecdotal evidence such as how many people you personally know and what you think they believe means absolutely NOTHING, especially when you try to compare it to any poll taken in a scientific manner.

And to the OP, nice try at a spin maneuver. On one hand you claim this isn't about the abortion issue, but in the same post you call this poll "infamous".
It would only be considered "infamous" by the pro-abortion crowd.

Obviously, the recent poll results showing a sea-change in public opinion on abortion has struck a major nerve with the pro-abortion people to the point where they have to try anything they can to try and invalidate it.

Last, check out the source website allgov.com and see if their agenda isn't obvious to you, as well.

This is denying ignorance ???

[edit on 5/21/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

And to the OP, nice try at a spin maneuver. On one hand you claim this isn't about the abortion issue, but in the same post you call this poll "infamous".
It would only be considered "infamous" by the pro-abortion crowd.

I call the poll infamous because of its surprising results. It is infamous because BOTH pro-life and pro-choice opponents jumped at it for their own reasons. It is infamous because it was discussed all over the MSM, ATS, and internet blogs of all persuasions. Furthermore it is now even more infamous because as it has been proven, it's results were flawed.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of infamous.

The OP contains no spin within it, perhaps it is the facts themselves that fluster you so.

Obviously, the recent poll results showing a sea-change in public opinion on abortion has struck a major nerve with the pro-abortion people to the point where they have to try anything they can to try and invalidate it.

I see ... so when you see an eclipse you believe the sun is no more.

Every poll before it and every poll since has negated the Gallup poll. It's called a statistical aberration and it isn't uncommon.

Perhaps you were one of those celebrating prematurely, understandably this must be very upsetting for you.

Last, check out the source website allgov.com and see if their agenda isn't obvious to you, as well.

How so?

If you have evidence to disprove the story please provide it.
Show us other recent polls confirming the Gallup one.

This is denying ignorance ???

Horse meet water, drink it or not, not my concern.

[edit on 21 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Infamous means "not famous". It has a very negative connotation. If you really wanted a word that means what you (uh, now) claim, a much better choice would have been "controversial".

Sorry, nothing even worth responding to in the rest of your post. Caught you spinning the story and now you are tying to weasel out of it.

Old saying: If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well I will like to know what portion of the population and geographical group was invited to vote, because I was never asked to participate.

So polls are good when they are done all around the nation and in all kinds of sectors, but polls can be easily manipulated when they are only offered to specific geographically sectors of the population.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

That's the point of polls. Most of us aren't asked to participate. The pollsters find groups of people that basically would answer the way the rest of us would.

BTW, your photo is pretty freaky ...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I am Pro-Life but I don't think abortions should be illegal. I don't see how this invalidates the "infamous" poll.

And I'm sure Gallup has some nefarious conservative plot. That's why this came out this week: GOP Losses Span Nearly All...

[edit on 22-5-2009 by jjkenobi]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Infamous means "not famous". It has a very negative connotation. If you really wanted a word that means what you (uh, now) claim, a much better choice would have been "controversial".

Dear oh dear ...

I see we're not so familiar with either the English language or the use of dictionaries.

1. having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.
2. deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.

Synonyms:
1. disreputable, ill-famed, notorious. 2. disgraceful, scandalous; nefarious, odious, wicked, shocking, vile, base, heinous, villainous.

Antonyms:
1. reputable. 2. praiseworthy, admirable. *

Sorry, nothing even worth responding to in the rest of your post. Caught you spinning the story and now you are tying to weasel out of it.

Well I'm sure it's hard to respond if you don't know the words.

All good though, not knowing is the first step to a blissful existence.

Old saying: If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

Sound advice all around.

Btw, any help finding those supporting polls?

Carry on then ...

[edit on 22 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Polls are worded in a manner that will result in people having to answer the questions in a way that reflect what the people paying for the poll want to hear..... They are just a tool of manipulation.... The bottom line on this particular poll was that 23% of the people believed that abortion shouldn't be completely illegal, and that sounds about right to me.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Huh??

Infamous means "not famous".

That's like saying 'inhungry' means "not hungry"?

meh....it's lunch time, and I'm "pro-hungry".

Deny Ignorants!! (sic)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

So, you found different definitions than mine.

Still, all very negative definitions, no?

Which proves my point.

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join