It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Dandelion (its not just a weed)!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I was watering my yard this AM and saw a couple of dandelions and thought "Oh crap, I'll have to dig those things up". Then came inside, checked in at ATS and clicked on this thread.

Needless to say, now I will not dig up those dandelions! Am going to town this afternoon and will be stopping at the book store to get a book on edible plants.

We have loads of prickly pear cactus and thistle. I have tried prickly pear and like it. Have a couple of books about it. It's suppose to be good for lowering cholesterol. One book is a recipe book with recipes from top chefs from all over and, boy, do they sound YUMMY!

Never tried thistle or dandelion though.

Great thread!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

When I was a child growing up here in Glasgow our nickname for dandelions was 'pee-the-beds'. Sounds a little crude I know but I think this was in reference to their usefulness as a diuretic!

Edit for grammar.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by midicon]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
I just wanted to state that because of this thread, I am going to transplant some dandelions tomorrow and grow them. So thank you, OP "Greenize".
I love dandelion.
Ok, one last recipe.

Make your broccoli rabe' as you normally do, with garlic, olive oil, and what not.
toss in some dandelion. Or just make the dandelion as you would the broccoli rabe'. Eat some for din din, while it's hot. Refrigerate the leftover.
The next day, get some Italian ponnel bread, the thick sliced kind and lightly toast it. Slap on some dandelion or broccoli rabe' mix.
Get a piece of sharp as f*** provolone, ans a sip or two of homemade red wine, and you got yourself a ghetto Italian peasant meal fit for a king.
Go knock your socks off, it's good!!!!
Ciao!....

You forgot the sausage! lol

Gotta have some nice sausage with brocolli rabe!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Thank you all so much for supporting this thread!!! I appreciate all of the useful info that has been added as well as the wonderful recipes. I have truly learned a lot by starting this thread!!!! (((((hugs))))) to all for the contributions and comments!!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I like to know things like this I have a good one about water you should chec out, and do you got more good alchemy?

rehab

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Here is some updated information regarding the ongoing studies of dandelion root by researchers at the University of Windsor in Ontario, Canada. It's a short article so I won't copy any text. Check it out. The more people know, the more they may be able to help themselves.

CBC News

I'm drinking a cup of it as I write this.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
We used to eat yellow dandelions as kids. My friends and I would pop off the heads and eat them. Looking back on it I have no idea why we did it.
Just a kid thing I guess.
There was also a sort of tall growing weed by a pond that we used to break off the stems of... You could drink water, I think, from it and eat it. Kind of vaguely remember it, I dont remember what it was called. It grew over our heads though. I live around the Indiana, Kentucky area if it helps anybody know.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join