It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Dandelion (its not just a weed)!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The enticing scent of the Purectum leaf will calm nausea.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
THe Dandelion has no poison look alikes.
I have some with red flowers. The leaves do not just stay near the gound in a rosette.
Likely this is another cousin to the regular dandelion.

The thistle is a cousin of othe dandelion and can be eaten also.
This spring I had this kind of strange looking dandelion in my garden and I began eating it. It tasted good. Later it developed a central stalk and as the weather got warmer the leaves got little points on the end.
That was what is called the Common Sow Thistle. Best in early spring. As the weather gets warm it get thorns and tastes bitter.
I'll have plenty of them next spring.

Chem spraying of lawns should be illegal. It pollutes our water.
People need to be educated on the beauty of some of those "weeds".
Some of my weeds have beautiful little flowers.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Yes you can eat the flower too! The leaves and roots secrete a milky white substance that is bitter...pick the leaves when they are tender and young, and yes you can eat them raw.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

I agree with you about the pesticides and herbicides! I am lucky in that my home is surrounded by woods, and the fields around me have been in the government set aside program for many years and therefore have not been planted nor sprayed. I think tomorrow I am going to go on an adventure and see what I can find to eat! lol

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
My 2c:
I have a mini container veggie garden, and in my planter box with spinach, I put a couple of dandelions that I transplanted from the lawn, after ripping the root and leaves out.
This had got to be the wierdest plant I've ever grown. It keeps growing and growing, two months after I replanted it, and every 3 weeks or so I'm ripping off all the leaves and they just grow back. It would seem that dandelion plants also attract ladybugs, as I caught one meandering around my spinach the other day. Dandelion is listed as a great companion plant to any garden, because it attracts beneficial bugs that will eat aphids, mealybugs, etc.

Actually, the main reason I started growing dandelion, is because the leaves make an excellent addition to salads! They're packed full of fiber, and to prepare them all you need to do is harvest and wash! You can also use a pumice stone or something abrasive to rub off the furry bits on the top if you don't like the texture.

I eat dandelion leaves nearly every day, to no ill effect, and since I'm a home-gardener, I appreciate the free food that I can get from the lawn. ^_^

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nrky

That is very neat! I too have noticed that lady bugs like them, and bees like the flowers. Happy gardening!!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Did I also mention that my neighbours love it when I go harvesting for dandelions, cos it gets 'those ugly weeds' out of their lawn... HAHAH!

As for ladybugs, the adult ones can fly away from your garden, but the young ones, once hatched, are unable to fly and will feed on aphids near to where they've been born. Keep some dandelions near your green leafy crops, ie. chili, spinach, kale, etc.

Here's a link to the various plants you should grow in your vegetable garden to attract beneficial bugs that will feed on the bugs that are eating your crops:

www.mi.ca...

(It's called "companion planting")

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
the important thing here is research.

not knowing how to spot the deadly plant that mimics wild strawberries could kill you

of course also dandilions are not to everyones tastes, they are pretty bitter. but if you dig up the roots in winter when they are at their largest and roast em, they apparently make good and otherwise expensive coffee.

nettles and stickygrass are the most worth mentioning , both can be harmfull if taken by a total dumbass, but also they bring health benifits. for example nettle soup is a traditional spring tonic and stickygrass (y'know that stuff you played with as a kid) if cooked correctly to remove most of the spines can do a very good job of cleaning out your digestive system.

of-course for more info buy "food for free" the most accessable and respected free food guide.

StoneCrow....

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by lel1111

I would suggest getting a guide to edible plants. I have a very good one, it includes photos and drawings, and shows plants that are dangerous look-alikes.

*thumbs up*

EDIT- TO EVERYONE- please be aware to check to make sure what the herbs and plants you eat do not interact with a medical condition or medication. Common sense, but some can make things like birth control inactive, trigger reactions, or even cause more serious effects.

Be careful.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by ravenshadow13]

I think people on this forum does not have to be warned about rx drugs since they r smart enough not to use any rx medication in any shape or form. Drugs affect your body and/or your thinking and bring posts to child like level...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by StoneCrow

Excellent point! That can not be stressed enough...be sure you know and I mean KNOW how to identify anything you pick in the wild before you poke it into your cake hole!

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Greenize]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I just wanted to state that because of this thread, I am going to transplant some dandelions tomorrow and grow them. So thank you, OP "Greenize".
I love dandelion.
Ok, one last recipe.

Make your broccoli rabe' as you normally do, with garlic, olive oil, and what not.
toss in some dandelion. Or just make the dandelion as you would the broccoli rabe'. Eat some for din din, while it's hot. Refrigerate the leftover.
The next day, get some Italian ponnel bread, the thick sliced kind and lightly toast it. Slap on some dandelion or broccoli rabe' mix.
Get a piece of sharp as f*** provolone, ans a sip or two of homemade red wine, and you got yourself a ghetto Italian peasant meal fit for a king.
Go knock your socks off, it's good!!!!
Ciao!....

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Thank you! That sounds very delicious and I will certainly have to try it! I love a good recipe!!!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
You know what, this begs some postings of recipes; I only wish I knew more!

Some uses for dandelions that I can think of right now:

In salads. Make your every-day salad, add some dandelion leaves.
In chilli. Cook up your hottest chili mix, chuck it into your favourite tortilla, or on top of rice, etc. then chop up a handful of dandelion, sprinkle on top of chili, and enjoy!
In healthdrinks. You know you love em, those hideous, green health drinks that involve a crapload of 'good for you' random greens (ie. spinach, wheat grass, etc). Simply add dandelion, and make sure you blend the living daylights out of it!
With hot-dogs. (!!!) Cook up the sausages, spread the butter on to the roll, add chilli paste and sauce, then lay down a few dandelion leaves with spinach, add sausage/hotdog, and enjoy!

My favourite: Fettucini Carbonara with dandelions. (oh hellz yeah!) When you're stewing up the sauce for the pasta, cut the dandelion leaves into pieces about 2-3inches long (usually half the length of the leaf), and stir into the mix just before you add the pasta.

That's just a few using the leaves. All I can think of with the roots, are that you dry them out in the sun, then chop them and use in a teapot/coffee-plunger/filter-jug.

I've never actually bothered to try to do anything with dandelion flowers. Next time my lawn is covered in yellow things, I'll give it a shot.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nrky

Thank you for the ideas! This truly is an amazing little plant that has been taken for granted for a long time!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Nice, i eat them all the time. It's hard to swallow it down though

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
I had no idea just how wonderful this little plant that grows on nearly every lawn really is... read on....

Dandelion roots act as an ani-viral and the funny thing is another name for dandelion is Swine's snout..lol This "weed" is a great source of vitamins A, B complex, C and D. It also is rich in iron zinc and potassium!

Most all parts of the dandelion plant are useful, first, uses for the leaves:
The leaves make a great diuretic and help rinse the kindneys.
Liver problems
swelling
upset stomach
boils
digestive problems
heartburn

the roots can be used for:
appetite stimulant
digestive aid
gall bladder and liver problems ( great for detox)

the flowers can be used to make wine and add flavor to a salad.( young tender leaves can be used for greens)
You can dry the leaves and roots use them this way or you can steep them into a tea...
These are just a few uses for this amazing little plant that most of us consider a pesky weed!

wha wha wait a min folks what b vitamins exactly?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

thiamine and riboflavin... Hope that helps. Thanks for asking that question, I am sure others were curious too!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by alysha.angel

thiamine and riboflavin... Hope that helps. Thanks for asking that question, I am sure others were curious too!

i was hoping that it has b12 in it. but i guess more reaserach into the plant needs to be done to find out

heres a link for more info.

www.leaflady.org...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I saved my cat from kidney failure with dandelion root. I put a few drops in her food daily and whenever she gets tested at the vet, they always say that her kidney failure has never progressed beyond the initial diagnosis 3 years ago.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

Thank you for posting this info! I think that all of our medical needs can be met in nature if we take the time to learn. Again, thank you for sharing that!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join