It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus sounds too amazing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well let me try and explain where I am trying to go with this.

I am an Athiest and I was raised a Lutheran. I am somewhat familiar with the King James Bible and was thinking about the story of Jesus recently.

If any other Atheists or Agnostics can get in on this with opinions would be awesome.

Ok here goes. If Jesus has so little proof of existing then who wrote the story of Jesus?

They would have to be one amazing author to write such things.

What an amazing human being they describe. Healing sick people, kicking over money changing tables at a temple, questioning religious figures, caring for the poorest of the poor and creating food and water from thin air. Walking on water, communing with god directly, actually being a part of god I guess. He is so freaking HUMBLE and CARING. Going up to a group of people stoning a person to death and saying "he who casts the first stone..." I mean freaking WOW!

I think if there WERE a God and he DID send his son down to Earth I would want it to be THIS GUY!

What kind of an Author would piece together all of the things found throughout the history of religion to describe someone like this?

Who created the idea of Jesus? Who penned it? Was it more than one person who came up with the idea? Certainly no one in power would want to describe the son of god like this. Telling people NOT to give money to a church, telling people to not even GO to church.

What would be the POINT of creating this story? How could someone benefit from doing it? Are there more parts to the story being kept hidden by the church? What happened during the time he disappeared for ten years in the desert?

Surely any author who was writing this story would write some wicked sick section to insert here? Help me out here fellow information seekers. Too many questions I do not understand.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
\"Telling people NOT to give money to a church, telling people to not even GO to church.\"

what? can you quote the part where it says that? if so i would of argued hell not to go there!

people now couldn\'t come up with this story, yes i think there is a big fat red herring!

oh lets omit this bit for a few years, no one will notice

and thats just the Kaflics

i\'m bad i know

all religions have omitted the really good stuff, because its free to us and they will miss out on a few bob

its how they can control us..

take away our spirituality

??

not any more!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I am probably the last person who should be responding to your query due to my lack of
knowledge on this subject, but many others seem to draw parallels with Christianity and ancient Sumerian texts.

Some info here:

ptet.dubar.com...

www.crystalinks.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.mindspring.com...

www.halexandria.org...

I am sure you will get some great responses from worthy contributors.

Regards...KK

[edit on 20-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

[edit on 20-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I too, an Atheist, agree that Christianity does have some similarities to Sumerian stories. Pretty nifty it is. Anyways, I believe several ideas how the stories of Jesus became.
1.) Jesus was a man who told stories and helped the weak. He collected followers on the way, and they then spread his story, stretching it each time.
2.) Jesus was not even real, just a product of lores and legends.
3.) Jesus was perhaps was not from this planet, but maybe another. There has been many cases that can be connected to Aliens!

Or maybe 4.) One of those 4 in the morning decisions from a bunch of drunk guys!

Now, excluding four of course... I believe 1-3, and any mix between them. I do believe the authors and such were more than just one, but many men joining together. I don't know if Jesus is coming back though, but wait, if he is an Alien traveling at light speed... maybe Einstein can fix his aging problem?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Christianity is a mish mash from various sources as was the torah before it,egyptian mythology and sumerian would make up a great deal of these books i think.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
If Jesus has so little proof of existing

I don't really want to disrupt the flow of the thread, or the more important ideas that you are discussing, but there is actually plenty of hisotircal evidence for Jesus' existence. Pliny and Josephus are two ancient secular sources who refer to him and, in terms of conteporary corroborative manuscripts, there is actually more evidence for Jesus' existence than Julius Caesar, which is pretty interesting.

I'm agnostic, by the way.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Roark

Yeah, is that so? Really interesting tid bit of information there. Well, I do think Christianity is a very segregated religion. This actually I believe increased the division of the religion even more when the Americas were founded and people began moving there for religious freedom. So many denominations of a religion, basically destroying the idea itself. Why I do think that Islam is one of my favorite religions due to its morality and unity. Now, I don't believe in a greater deity (or deities). I just believe we don't really know enough to know why or how yet... but hey, gotta admit, we got here some how. Maybe the Chaos Theory is correct, stuff happens!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well this is a subject that is up for debate.
First off i am not an athiest but here is what i do know. A the bible was written by people who may or may not have met the apostles but it was not written by any apostle despite what people will tell you.
As far as the origins of the christ theory goes it is still up in the air. I will promise you this 99% of the replies you will get from this point on about the origins of christ will be copy paste from zeitgeist part one. Zeitgeist was not well researched on the religion side, i live with a man who has a degree in archeology and has been given lectures at the ARCE events on his own research, he laughed at zeitgeist and told me "that is just not true he or someone made up a lot of things for this movie". Now with that said, Christ's life comes very close to Siddhattha Gotama's(buddah's) life. But the NT has a lot of influence from the OT which came from egypt. So it is not hard to think with eastern religion moving west getting mashed up with egyptian beliefs then giving birth to the new and old testaments.

here you have at the top the people sittling down, facing left horus, jesus and his deciples.

Khnumhotep catching 2 fish

even biblical characters match up to the egyptian pharos
Jacob: 1758 – 1611 BC, King Yakubher reign: 1655 – 1646 BC
King David reign: 1012 – 962 BC, Psusennes reign: 1039-991 BC
Moses: 1527 – 1407 BC, Thutmose the third reign: 1479 - 1425 BC
Abraham: 2055 – 1880 BC, Amenemhet the first reign: 1991 – 1962 BC
King Solomon reign: 970 – 931 BC, Siamun reign: 978 – 959 BC

I will find a source but the lord's prayer is almost word for word from an egyptian book.

Im not saying the idea and basic concepts of christianity and jesus's teaching are false i just do not think they are history, they are more like fables with a moral lesson. Things like the 10 commandments are good to follow even if you do not believe in god.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Christ (and Antichrist) are archetypes. The christ figure is someone who is connected, perhaps through his heart chakra, with the universal consciousness. In this sense Jesus is not amazing enough, as a christ figure will literally be tapped in to the creative potential of the entire cosmos. The antichrist figure is someone who is disconnected from his inner divinity, and as such will tend to be destructive, entropic. He will connect with the negative, the void, the chaos, the entropy.

The universe is alive. It is what we call god. We are all god's thoughts. Treat it with respect and love and, depending on the sincerity and perhaps intensity of your feelings, you will have the doors to infinity open to you.

Oh, and you don't need a middleman so there is really no need to pay me for this information

The vibrational ressonance of love seems to be the key to unlocking an inner connection to the divine. Much more than even faith, although you do have to naturally believe that what I have just told you here at least could be true to even try in the first place, obviously.

Organised religion is just what psychopaths make up to control entire populations. There is a core of truth, there has to be as it's the bait, but then they twist, lie, manipulate, inject fear and shame and other negatives and basically make a huge mess of things. Religions will tend to fall into a ponerology, a psychopathocracy, where feelingless humans, control freaks, bastardise the teachings of the christ figures that appear through the ages, the ancient teachers, the messengers, the ones that try and reconnect us with source.

These are my conclusions based on personal study and experience through meditation and considerations on the synchronicities of my own timeline. Your mileage may vary

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Right ok. So this guy or group of guys sits down to write this story. Why would they write it?

Who does the Bible say wrote the story of Jesus? Is it historically confirmed that the person who wrote the story of Jesus did indeed write it? How close to writing it to the time after Jesus death is it confirmed or estimated to have been written down?

WHY would someone write this story and make it up? I am having a problem wrapping my mind around it. From what I understand the person or people who wrote it knew him and lived with him right?

It isn't like they are telling the story of a Bird Head man building a pyramid that was passed down from generation to generation. They are talking about a guy they knew for like 20 years and broke bread with DAILY and drank with. Not some bird god. They are talking about their best friend basically.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Mack

Yes, I do like to stick with my Ten Commandments! Interesting. Hey, why say it cannot be like what the Romans did to the Greeks?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

no the people who wrote it were people who knew people who knew jesus(if any of it really happened) . Some of them are still listed as a mystery as to who wrote them. And some of the books were written after the apostles died. The earliest book dates after 70 AD, so they are a little after the fact. Now if all this earth shattering god's son on earth buisness was really going on why did the apostles not bother to write about it them selves? Why didn't ANYONE write about anything jesus did, besides the guys who talked to the apostles. It would be like me asking you to write my biography by talking to my brother and then writting it long after my brother dies, with nothing written down to remember it by.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Wow. Very good point. I was not aware that it was not written by the apostles. I thought it was written by the Apostles themselves. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So who was it? Like friends of the Apostles? Relatives? How many people are we talking here?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I will find a source but the lord's prayer is almost word for word from an egyptian book.

great stuff.......I look forward to your providing a source about the lords prayer....

this is an entertaining thread!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bryan LaVergne

I guess its kinda like that, i can think with that.
Well christians do have kinda like a polytheistic religion think about it. You have only one "god" that is worshiped but it is okay to pray on a saint much the way a greek would pray to his god of ______

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Since you do happen to be enriched with much knowledge in this area of discussion, it brings up a question. Why do so many people that believe in Jesus (Christians) have so many different branches? (denominations)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by prjct

Our Father which art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom Come
Thy will be done.
In Earth, as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom(you are the king)
The power and the glory,
For ever and ever

Or as they say in egypt
The god of this Earth is the ruler of the horizon.
The god is for making great his name. Devote yourself to the adoration of his name.
Give your god existence.
He will do your business.
His likenesses are upon the Earth.
(God) is given incense and food offerings daily.
The god will judge the true and honest.
Guard against the things that god abominates.
Preserve me from decay.
(God) is the king of the horizon.
He magnifies whoever magnifies him.
Let tomorrow be as today.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I don't know like when I think about Jesus I picture this dude who is a carpenter making houses or building tables maybe smashing his finger with a hammer. I can RELATE to this guy.

When they describe the Dali Llama he has a list of perfect features. When I think about Zeus gods they are super powerful not mortal. Same with the Egyptian gods. I cannot think of another religious figure like him.

Jesus just seems so UN godlike. He isn't running around with a white robe wearing a pope golden crown and outfit. You know he is getting down and dirty. He is mixing it up with contagious diseased people. He just seems like an average Joe.

How would lying about this story benefit anyone.

I am trying to put myself into the shoes of the people who wrote it.

Also I know the bible has been altered many times throughout history. Were any of the stories about Jesus changed?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

www.danderoux.com...

the above? your talking nephillam are you?

goliath!

en.wikipedia.org...

the new testament was written years after Jesus left the earth!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

"Jesus sounds too amazing"

I know...isn't it cool?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join