It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught on Tape: Officers Fired Over Beating of Unconscious Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Caught on Tape: Officers Fired Over Beating of Unconscious Man

abcnews.go.com

Five police officers in Birmingham, Ala., were fired Tuesday evening for beating an unconscious man as revealed in a video recently obtained by top city officials, according to reporting from the Birmingham News.
Dashcam video shows Birmingham cops hitting an already unconscious man.

The video shows police officers violently beating an unconscious suspect after a 22-minute interstate chase. Captured from inside a Birmingham police car, the video reveals the subject, 38-year-old Anthony Warren, in a white Ford van being chased by several patrol cars.

The van is recklessly driving through
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cops gone wild
Raw video, peoria police beat motorist.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is starting to be a bit of a theme on ATS- poor behaviour from Law Enforcement

Cops gone wild

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Raw video, peoria police beat motorist.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not to mention this
cannot find thread on ATS but I'm sure there was one)

What is going on?

Is this conditioning of police to be way too agressive? Has it always been like this but there are more cameras now?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Police are nothing but a government sponsored gangs. This kind of behaviour is hardly surprising.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Fired huh? Are there any criminal charges pending against them? If not, it falls into that camp of conveying to the public that whatever the "government" does may be wrong in some ethical way but is never criminal. Most and more news programs have no interest in the criminality of government only that it's a good or bad thing. Does this fall into that pattern?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think firing is the right first step. Although if I were the boss I'd have them arrested right then and there for as they are being fired for.

TITLE 18, U.S.C., SECTION 242
Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnaping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death. www.usdoj.gov...

MBF

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Something else should be done to them. I saw the video on the news tonight and there was NO reason for them doing what they did. Are you some kind of lawyer or something ExPostFacto?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

I'm just an average citizen that has an innate ability to read law, and legal opinions. Nothing special just my hobby and interest in life.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well i think he needs a serious lawyer as i can see a few hundred thousand going his way in damages.

MBF

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I kind of made my lawyer mad at me one time when I would quote legal code numbers and what they said. That is when he started working for me. He kept saying that he was going to hire me. They don't like that. You have to keep them on their toes somehow.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm kind of in the middle on this one. First off, it is well known that police beat the snot out of suspects, but usually it's rumor, but not much proof. Now that technology is improved and they are being videotaped, we are seeing what they do when they forget about being recorded. I can understand from the cops perspective on why they beat the man and in the second video, kicked the guy when he was down. Both men had put the public in danger, innocent lives are in the picture all because someone can't pull over when they have a cop flashing their lights behind them. This is police evasion, these men made things worse for themselves by running and attempting murder on public streets. In the first video, that cop nearly became road kill! Also, in defense of cops, lot of the times when you see an officer beating someone down, it's usually part of the story. They often convieniantly forget to mention what that suspect was doing, particularly if they assaulted an officer, which they have every right to do.

I'm also looking at it from the opposite point of view. Cops do abuse their authority ALOT, and since they don't often have to face any serious consequence for their action, they aren't worried about abusing their authority at all and in fact will take pleasure in it. Even though I could understand why the cops beat on the suspects in the videos, there was still no need. In the first video, the man is unconcious, what is the point of beating him? He might have been seriously injured or already dead. Plus, that cop should not have been standing in harms way too, so I can't really say that he was an innocent bystander in this. It would have been horrible if he did get hit . on, but he also shouldn't have put himself in that position. Cops do need to exercise self control, and ease up on taser guns and people need to just stop putting others in danger because they broke the law and don't want to face the consequences of it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
He almost hit the officer by accident, as he was clipped by the black car beforehand. He should have placed the stinger much further down the road, out of danger.

The officers must have been high as a kite on adrenalin and anger, so when they saw a target, albeit motionless, they just decided to dish out their own justice there & then.

It seems they don't show any glimmer of restraint or hesitation anymore, for whatever reason. Is police training becoming negligent? Do American movies with guns 'n violence, make it semi-acceptable to play out retribution like it's a Rambo film?

Perhaps officers need to be castrated so they don't have too much machismo.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Was that cop stupid? A guy going down the road at almost 100mph and this stupid ass cop jumps outright in front of him to throw a spike strip down endangering his own life. Even if the driver behind the wheel of that car really tried to stop and not him him, it would have been too late, that cop would have got smashed either way(hes lucky he didnt).
The guy= should do his share of jailtime for that stunt that he pulled(Obviously). He is a damned fool no doubt about that.
The cops= Should do just as much time as him plus some for not representing the uniform like they should, beating an unconcious man(and it took several of them by the way to do this)just to get their rocks off.
I guess they didnt have their daily dosage of beating a civilian until this.
God I hate these bastards sometimes. This is one of the major reasons I didnt join the police force when I had the chance(actually twice), cause cops are dirty.
Sure there are a few good ones(mostly ex military guys),but the majority of them are just waiting to use that death stick or the lightning rod from god on someone whenever they get the chance. These guys are bastard children that should be put in General population at san quentin.

.edit

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Common Good]

new topics

top topics

join