It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proper Thread and Posting Format

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Alright, now I didn't want to have to be the one to do this, I figured perhaps a mod would have created a thread about this, but to no avail, so please bear with me while I try to explain this.

Since we have an influx in new members and the summer months which are bound to be heavy in traffic are fast approaching, I think it's important to review how we should format our posts and threads.

Needless to say we are a writing community, whatever level of skill you possess to wow your crowd is not important, so long as you can get the message accross is what counts.

In order to do that properly it is very important that we break up our posts and threads into paragraphs which seperate one idea from another. There is nothing much frustrating to a ready than to have to go through 6000 characters all clumped into one big sentence that is never ending and usually does not include any sort of punctuation or pauses for the person reading to catch their breath. People will usually quit half way through because it is simply too much to deal with and quite frankly it gets boring after a while to read one long incomplete sentence that is very jumbled.

The above is done on purpose. See how infuriating it can be?

You will receive a much better response from members if things are formated correctly and presented smoothly then what I have written above.

Since giving out one's age on this forum is completely optional, we have no way to gage how old our average member is, then again it doesn't matter. However, the kids are out of school in the summer and I can take an educated guess and say that most of our new members will be high school kids who have alot of time on their hands.

We are not only a community of conspiracy theorists but also of writers, philosophers, scientists and mystics. All of these different views and opinions can be hard to understand and cope with, much more when posts are a series of never ending paragraphs.

I assume this thread will be moved or removed since even I know it's not in the right section. If the staff could echo my concern and perhaps create a thread that would help educate new members on how to get their message accross effectively, it would be greatly appreciated.

I invite all members to add to this thread anything they deem worthy, which would help our new members learn the ropes of writing.

~Keeper

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think you about covered it all. Great job standing up and bringing this to attention!

I can not agree more that poorly written threads with poor punctuality posts are very annoying. Also I am sure everyone knows that a lot of these Summer kids probably don't care anyways,for those that do please take head of the OP of this thread. ATS is not just some BS social site, there are a lot of highly intelligent people on here with professions ranging from student to doctors who are truly dedicated to uncovering the truth, so please keep this in mind. Other than that I hope any new members enjoy ATS as much as others and myself do. I also hope we get some new, good, and well contributing members over this Summer season. That is all I have to say on the matter.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thank you for the reply, I hope we can energize some more replies from our members.

I am still seeing this trend increase.

~Keeper

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

*energizing replies* Agreed!!

To my fellow high-schoolers/teenagers- ATS is a great website and a great place to learn over the summer. But I always try to work as hard when posting here as I do during the school year. This is a very close community, where many of our members work hard to put forth the best information possible. We hope that you will give back to the community by applying the concepts that you have learned in other areas of your life.

This website is about quality to most of us, not points or stars or flags. In order to create a non-competitive, high-quality environment it is best to work hard, do a little extra research, and spend a few extra minutes making your ideas as great visually as they are contextually.

At first, it is a good idea to limit the amount of time you spend on here everyday. That way the information is not overwhelming, and you may not feel as compelled to be posting constantly. This technique works well for many of our members.

ATS is a wonderful website, and we are very glad that so many people take part in the community. Please be respectful in both what you say and how you present it, and I am sure that this will be a great summer for everyone!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have a minor gripe with peoples grammar

I see too many times, people using the wrong words and would like to clarify the distinction. Most notably, the misuse of:

- There & their
THERE indicates a place as in, "I live here not THERE." It is the opposite of "here". THEIR is the possessive of "they", as in "They live there but it isn't THEIR house".

- To & too
"To" is a preposition and "Too" is an adverb that denotes quantity in excess, e.g. there is TOO much power TO make it safe.

Ahh, feel better now i have got that off my chest

Edit: Typo; the irony

[edit on 22-5-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

I have a major gripe with poor grammar. But the truth about ATS is that not every member is a native English speaker, and some people have not had a grammar review in many, many years. So it's something that I keep to myself, because the few times that I've said something about it I was given an explanation that not everyone is well educated in the English language.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Yes, i agree.

I only mentioned it because the thread gave me a portal for my grievance

Perhaps a new language will be born, based on brevity and text messages, where semantics & grammar are things of the past.

Shakespeare will be rolling in his grave!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think I may be the only one of my friends, or one of the few, who IM and text with proper grammar, including punctuation and capitalization.

*shrug*

It's wrong that in the English classroom where my Senior year Visual Literature classroom is currently held the teacher has a sign saying "There/Their/Theire, Of/Off, To/Too/Two" etc. It's just wrong.

Just because this is the internet and not school or work does not mean that people should write without effort.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thnx for this post, ill have to remember this when i post some of my longer threads.
People's punctuation doesnt bother me, its mostly the spelling and grammar. I am from Michagan, but moved to Georgia couple years ago, and it is so annoying the way these people talk some times. No offence.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Jesus, you must have a right head-mash on Twitter

I also take great care to carry the flame of our great language; else it will morph into gibberish. Then again, i'm saying that because i'm English.

However, another minor-ish gripe is the fact you can't swear on this site. I feel profanity can portray a powerful message if done in the right context.

Perhaps ATS can take a leaf out of /. It has a very, very intelligent contributory demographic, but they're allowed to swear?!

I don't think we should pander to kids who use this site; they are a minority and us adults have the right to expression.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
It's wrong that in the English classroom where my Senior year Visual Literature classroom is currently held the teacher has a sign...

Sorry to be pedantic ravenshadow13, but you missed a comma in your sentence:

It's wrong that in the English classroom where my Senior year Visual Literature classroom is currently held, the teacher has a sign...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Well, I joined the site when I was just turning 15. Now as a legal "adult" I still don't feel that kids should be discriminated against in any way. I'm curious to see how some members react to the summer crowd.

I've been called horrible things solely because of my age. You can U2U and ask if you'd like, but it's not pretty. And it's always from members who don't know me and are typically newer to the site. I've seen other really great members who are under 18 keep their ages almost a secret because as soon as people know how old you are, if you're young, you suddenly have zero credibility.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
Then again, i'm saying that because i'm English.

You get me, I'll get you!

Then again, I'm saying that because I'm English.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Touché

This could be a fun side thread.

However, i strongly disagree that "i", "i'm" should be capitalised in mid sentence.

p.s. I need to eat my words, as it should be capitalised, but it just looks wrong...oh well.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the wonderful replies everybody.

I did want to add another thing.

Replying To Posts

I have also seen alot of posts from members tha ammount to nothing but " I agree" and "good post". Although these are nice to members who are writting, giving them stars and flags is the appropriate thing to do.

Very important threads are usually filled with senseless replies that only increase the page ammount and make it hard to find the valuable information.

We should always strive to add something to the conversation whenever we are posting, we are guilty of it, myself included. Asking questions about the topic at hand is a great way to get educated members to add vital information. That way everybody can enjoy a thread that might seem complicated or hard to understand.

~Keeper

[edit on 5/26/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I agree with your post; people just post for the hell of it, but you can't really question content like that. It's up to the reader to disseminate the info.

May i ask how you've managed to post 2,133 posts in ~150 days? That's approx 14 posts per day, every day for 5 months...impressive.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I like to think that people write as best they can and in way that reflects them as a person.

Not everyone has the same level of formal education. Not everyone has English as their native tongue.

We need to be less prescriptive here as a whole. As long as the message is clear, the language used has served it's purpose. Some people struggle to spell. Some people struggle to form sentences 'properly.' Others choose not to. Preferring a sort of grammatical freestyle.

Let's not become intellectual snobs or elitist here.

Part of the greatness of ye olde Interweb is that it allows people from all cultures and backgrounds to come together to exchange ideas and one of the great things about ATS is that people are able to come here to express what others may see to be 'unusual' ideas without fear of being ridiculed for their beliefs or ideas. This should extend to their use of language. We should not look down on anyone or condemn them because they mix tenses ever now and again.

live an let live.

write an let rite.

To me, on an internet forum, it's the message that's important, not how it's put across.

Here at ATS we generally see posts with a high standard of writing, but let's not get down on those who don't conform to what some may see as being 'correct.'

Peace,

MGGG

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

I agree [machinegun_go_go], but there are some posts that are illegible and their message is lost in the structure of their post.

This is most prevalent with posts that don't contain paragraphs, it mashes your eyeballs.

I'm just airing my grievances on this thread and nothing more. I hope it doesn't come across as elitist, but there must be a standard to adhere to, otherwise it will evolve (devolve) into text speak.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I have alot of spare time at work let's say lol. I run my own business, and let's just say I run it well, it makes my days nice and easy.

And I am very passionate about ATS, this community is my peace of mind.

To machinegun_go_go

I certainly agree with what you are saying, and my thread is not to rag on people for spelling and general use of grammar. It's more for simple posting and thread created etiquette.

I agree that we can't become language Nazi's simply because the fast majority of people speak English, but I am just trying to do my part to help educate our "Summer Surge" and make the boards a little cleaner and more concise

I really appreciate your imput however.

~Keeper

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

...and I would agree that if something is truly incoherent then there is no point in posting it. However, some people truly know no better than to use text speak. Worrying and sad, I know - but some people simply know nothing more.

I may sound like I'm promoting this, but at the end of the day I'm just a realist.

to tothetenthpower

I do know where you're coming from, and I know that you're not ragging on anyone, it's just in my nature to jump to the defence of the 'linguistically challenged.'

I do, honestly, see your point and appreciate your noble aims for keeping this here community of ours top notch.

Peace,

MGGG

top topics

<<   2 >>

join