It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Confirmation of Alien Life Disprove God and Religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If we found out tomorrow that aliens exist, I mean really exist, would that be the end of religion as we know it? Is there room in the major religions for aliens? Could the Christian God be the God and creator of aliens too? Could Allah have created other worlds too?

Is there any reason why our Gods could not have tried their hand at creation on other planets?

If this happenned tomorrow I think the major religions would try and fit our new visitors into their respective theologies. I think they have too much invested to just throw their hand up and say they were wrong.

What do you think?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't think our religions would need to conform the alien presence to fit into the religion. It is my understanding that the ETs would have reached a harmony between science and relgion. That there is a higher power that created everything and science accepts that.

Either way it goes I think once the PTB tell the world of their existance then religion would be one of the first questions asked by the world.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Disclosure of alien life would not affect my belief in the Creator. Religion is a different story. So far as I know the majority of religions won't be able to back-track their theology to include alien life. I'll bet they'd try though.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
when people ask these kinds of questions my response is always the same. . . the creator created everything us them everyone. . . so it doesnt much phase my belief in a creator as for organized religion who knows but more importantly who cares

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I don't think aliens alone could disprove "god" because "god" would have made the whole universe, with all life forms and all matter and all particles, and all laws of physics and EVERYTHING. not just this ONE planet. but aliens would make billions instantly question religion... and it would also depend if they brought advanced knowledge to us. like. that THEY created us, then yes, god would be disproved.

Besides didn't the pope come out like a year ago and say that aliens were made by god too? So i think they are already trying to cover that ground

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutantfish
I don't think aliens alone could disprove "god" because "god" would have made the whole universe, with all life forms and all matter and all particles, and all laws of physics and EVERYTHING. not just this ONE planet. but aliens would make billions instantly question religion... and it would also depend if they brought advanced knowledge to us. like. that THEY created us, then yes, god would be disproved.

Besides didn't the pope come out like a year ago and say that aliens were made by god too? So i think they are already trying to cover that ground

an alien coming to earth saying we created you would not convince me that there is no creator. . . . seriously how good for them would it be if we looked up to them as a creator ? Of course they would love that they would have a whole new flock of sheeple to lead. . .

link   
We are supposing they are NOT Gods?

Perhaps we should not leave that out of the equation.

How do we know that they aren't just another creation or experiment?

Anyone watch, "Star Trek the Next Generation?" (Hopefully I got it right).

Remember the god Q? It was interesting that they put a different slant on gods. Remember it is only religion that seems to have had a field day defining who or what God is!

Imagine if they don't have it right?

link   
Personally, I feel that the individual religions of MAN would resist and even condemn the existence of alien life.
As a whole, or in part.

The contemplation of a higher being, as held in the fundamental views of spirituality as a whole, would look upon life elsewhere as contingent affirmation, confirming perhaps, the existence of a universal consciousness.
As a whole, humanity will be divided, just as we are with everything else.
There is also the potential of benevolent aliens perhaps saving what has gone wrong here or adding to it.
Personally I hope for the benefit of Earthly kind, all creatures, if such a disclosure were to occur.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I do not think it would put an end to religion. But lets face it people have this warped idea of what religion is. Way to many people think that religion is only those based off the bible (new and old) and the The Qur'an it would confirm some information in some religions. And it may proove some religions wrong that would depend on what our alien friends had to say.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I suppose that proof of alien existence could possibly, drastically alter some individuals beliefs. Some religions might lose members because of it and others would adapt to continue with the brainwash and fantasy they follow. For me alien existence and undeniable proof of it would personally, completely decay even further any standing religion ever had in my mind whatsoever.

But I think it depends on the religion and individual. Proof of alien existence would be a very good way to get people to question their religious beliefs and in that, they just might see through the veil of lies and leave. But then again it might not make any difference because of their religious saturation.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Im sure the aliens would come here and have a good laugh, like a previous poster stated, by the point they managed to fly hundreds of light years, im sure their religion and technology will have already melted into one path and when they come here they would laugh at our idea of religion. Religion should be about morals values and teachings on how to enlighten yourself and help others... not some philosophy to back up crusades against others of your own kind.

won't know till it happens though.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I dont see how alien life can disprove a belief.

Last time I checked, no religion on earth has a point by point list of things that cant be. Especially nothing about aliens. Unless there's a commandment to Christianity that I've missed saying "Thou shallt not believe in aliens".

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It may also depend on the circumstance of how an alien presence would present itself. Should they profess to being the all but saviors of mankind with marvelous technology, and cures for what ails us and fundamental changes in society and thinking, best believe that religious groups will fight tooth and nail.

Should they seek to enlighten us by showing us examples of the error of our ways, there will also be resistance. Every religion out there cries out that they are the only true way and that everything else is wrong.
Point made.
It will be the undoing of religion should the people be aware or awake enough to realize the foible of blind, unquestioned obedience.
That is of course assuming that aliens would be benevolent.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
well now that i think of it the title of the thread and the question asked only shows a lack of knowledge of religion in general.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
I dont see how alien life can disprove a belief.

Last time I checked, no religion on earth has a point by point list of things that cant be. Especially nothing about aliens. Unless there's a commandment to Christianity that I've missed saying "Thou shallt not believe in aliens".

No, but I can't recall in the Bible "On the 8th day God created little green men" do you?

I don't recall any mention of souls of aliens being weighed at judgement day? Do you?

I'd say it's a fundamental point of most religions that Humans are the pinnacle of living beings in the Universe, which means Earth as far as we are told by religion.

So if it turns out that there are little green men, this would drastically alter religion as we have come to know it. Or do you disagree?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Mack

Yes, something more and more common, these days.
The evidence not withstanding, the more people that become ignorant to the knowledge that there are religious out there, the more inclined they are to embrace them once rediscovered.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The confirmation of aliens would only serve to bring me that much closer to my God. I'll let Him be the one to say Take Me To Your Leader, and then watch Him make mincemeat out of it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I would hope any nonhumans we hook up with, if applicable, would be very against the mere WORDS "God" and "religion." To me, anyway, those slave race, totally subservient words are worse than the worst profanity... It would take awhile to explain why fully.

Whichever, the only way they could either destroy or sufficiently neutralize religions (particularly the WAY more dogmatic Abrahamic/monotheistic ones) would be if they could somehow offer proof against the existence of a Single Creator of the ENTIRE flipping universe... Anyway, overall, obviously I'm not a fan of the idea of (truly intelligent) nonhumans legitimizing dumbass human religions - NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH SPIRITUALITY - in any way.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Mack
well now that i think of it the title of the thread and the question asked only shows a lack of knowledge of religion in general.

Agreed

I don't get it. Show me an example of a religion that states, "We are the only life in the Universe…"

Unless ET's are our Ancient Gods and state that humans are an experiment then it might shock some people. But I'm religious (christian) and all my life I've never ruled out the possibility we are an ET experiment. How could you not? Anything is possible...Honestly you would have to be foolish not to ever consider that imo...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
what i wonder is if an alien race far advanced of us (as the would have to be to get here) came to us and said yes there is a god and your doing all wrong. . . this is the correct way to kneel before him. . . how many people would eat that up and follow it blindly just because they were more advanced then us. Its a scary thought when you think about it. . . how easy we sheep are to shepard

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join