It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R.1676

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
How does the government plan to ensure the new rise in tabacco taxes are collected?
They introduce a bill for the purpose.

I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the tax to begin with but,
Since the Congress is a greedy bunch and needs to generate all the monies possible to keep the out of control spending going, (even though it is unsustainable and never will be sustainable unless they increase taxes to 95% or more, and still be questionable at any price)

What I do have a problem with is the inclusion of more restrictions, raising the restrictive bar on sellers, consumers and distribution, and the access to more private information.

Here are some, (although there are more disturbing inclusions in this bill),
of the highlights for your review.

Source

H.R.1676
Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009
To prevent tobacco smuggling, to ensure the collection of all tobacco taxes, and for other purposes.
current 111st session of congress

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; FINDINGS; PURPOSES.
(c) Purposes- It is the purpose of this Act to--
(5) increase collections of Federal, State, and local excise taxes on cigarettes and smokeless tobacco; and

SEC. 2. COLLECTION OF STATE CIGARETTE AND SMOKELESS TOBACCO TAXES
SEC.TION 1. DEFINITIONS.
(2) CIGARETTE-
(B) EXCEPTION- For purposes of this Act, the term ‘cigarette’ does not include a ‘cigar’, as that term is defined in section 5702 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

SEC. 2A. DELIVERY SALES.
(b) Shipping and Packaging-
(3) WEIGHT RESTRICTION- A delivery seller shall not sell, offer for sale, deliver, or cause to be delivered in any single sale or single delivery any cigarettes or smokeless tobacco weighing more than 10 pounds.

SEC. 3. TREATMENT OF CIGARETTES AND SMOKELESS TOBACCO AS NONMAILABLE MATTER.
Sec. 1716E. Tobacco products as nonmailable
(a) Prohibition-
(1) a statement on a publicly available website, or an advertisement, by any person that such person will mail matter which is nonmailable under this section in return for payment; and
(2) the placement of the person on the list created under section 2A(e) of the Jenkins Act.
(b) Exceptions- This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) CIGARS- Cigars (as that term is defined in section 5702(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986).
(4) CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS
(C) The package shall not weigh more than 10 ounces.

SEC. 7. ENHANCED CONTRABAND TOBACCO ENFORCEMENT.
(a) Requirements- The Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives shall--
(1) create 6 regional contraband tobacco trafficking teams over a 3-year period in New York City, Washington DC, Detroit, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Miami,
(2) create a new Tobacco Intelligence Center to oversee investigations and monitor and coordinate ongoing investigations and to serve as a nerve center for all on going tobacco diversion investigations in the United States, and where applicable with law enforcement organizations around the world within the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives,
(3) establish covert national warehouse for undercover operations, and
(4) create a computer database that will track and analyze information from retail sellers of tobacco products that sell through the internet, mail order or make other non face to face sales.
(b) Authorization of Appropriations- The is authorized to be re is authorized to be appropriated to carry out subsection (a) $8,500,000 for each of 5 fiscal years.

I wonder why cigars are exempt.
Possibly because of all the cigar smoking representative and senators?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well dagnabbit. 8.5 million per year to make sure someone isn't avoiding the tax on their smokes. Regional centers and databases, yadda yadda...ridiculous. Guess I'm switching to cigars.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
this is absolutely rediculous. like i said in another thread, add this to the list of outrageous bills that should be squashed dead where they stand. they are going to be spending more money on making sure the taxes are collected than the taxes will generate. when i left to come to iraq some months ago, a pack of smokes in NY was already getting upwards of 7 bucks!!!! for a pack of smokes....really? my grandparents quit smoking cause prices went above 50 cents for a pack of smokes!

again, i say, write your reps, make your voice heard.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I wonder if the government is going to make more money off taxing tobacco or off the seizures of assets and fines from people buying and selling tobacco products on the black market. With the government jacking up prices so high, it is bound to create a black market.

Oh well, I reckon Obama will claim he is creating new jobs on this one.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This sorta tax is nothing new, it's just made its' way into the tobacco industry. Farmers have been paying a tax just like this for years and years! Livestock, when taken to market, the seller is charged a "checkoff" dollar for every single head he sells, whether it's cattle, hogs, sheep, chickens, etc, uncle sam gets his cut.

It's getting soo bad, they are now getting ready to tax soda, gas(the global carbon tax), more taxes on cigs, water, and possibly the air that we breathe! Also, right now, there's a bill on capitol hill that's called "The Cattle Tax". This bill, if it becomes law, will charge farmers for every head of livestock they own because they say that livestock "farts" are a great contributor to our global warming problems!

Beef cattle will be a charge of $87.50 per head, dairy cattle if you own more than 20 will be $140.00 per head, and I don't know how much it's gonna be on hogs, chickens, horses and other various heads of livestock!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i swear if they start taxing PEOPLE for farting, i will make sure that every fart i pay for, they smell

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Pretty soon our gardens will be against the law.

top topics

join