It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new conspiracy book says you are all wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Hello All. this is my first ever thread. you may find it of some value. the British writer/journalist David Aaronovitch has a new book out called 'Voodoo Histories:the role of conspiracy theory in modern history'. i watched his interview on the BBC recently and he quite firmly believes that conspiracy theorists are wasting their time. his new book covers all,dare i say,the usual suspects and he is in no doubt that they all have little/no weight. my lasting impression of him,is a bit like richard dawking,he KNOWS this will sell because it will annoy many. anyone read this yet? it would be amusing of a pro on here could read his book and send him a public [point by point] reply that withers his points. cheers.ps and thatnk you for all the warm replies to my post on here.like a second home!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
we could sit and argue all day with him but like you said before, he puts no weight in anything we may say

he prolly will just ignore it

why bother arguing with a tree? will the tree finally decide to move ?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ewokdisco

These kind of people are what we call dis-info agents. They cleverly attempt to disregard and arbitrarily dismiss conspiracy theorists. The books aren't meant for us to read, they are for the masses, just to further the illusion they've been fed over the years.

Nothing new, you seem to be smart enough to deny ignorance, this man shows alot of it

~Keeper

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You are probably right, but.......I smell profit. I would love to help anyone here right a book discounting his take point by point. It could be a wonderful research project. Great mental exercise, the brain-power is here on this site. The facts and sources are more than likely listed right here.

Many, many best-sellers have come from disparaging someone elses's work! It could be great fun, and an enlightening exercise, while hopefully making some extra money!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

He is what we on ATS call "Ignorant!" At the end of the day it is one mans opinion over the millions of people who believe in conspiracies!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Ohh I agree that profit is the main cause of such writings. People love to read about things that sound seemingly crazy. They will fill this book with clever puns and add information that is irelevant, simply to capture an audience.

And yes, it would be great of somebody went through it line by line exposing it's problems.

~Keeper

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
well who died and made the author an authority on life?

Lumping everyone into a group and calling them "Conspiracy theorists" is absurd and just plain ignorant.

I don't theorize that UFO's are real or that the government lies to the sheep for it's own interests. I know for a fact they are real having experienced both first hand on more than one occasion.

People demand proof to accept an idea, thought or theory which is great but until they can see that proof and experience and relate to it, they think you're nuts or a "conspiracy theorist" or both.

Stick a sock in it already.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
They just make possibilities into jokes about those that think of conspiracies and implicate the "protocals of zion" as the reason they need to debunk any 911 possibilities so we won't become crazy arabs or Nazi's. They literally use the so called "Jews" defense of why the 911 conspiracies MUST be wrong, forget the evidence, they must be anti-semitic to think these possible conspirices, as if Operation Northwoods never existed or that P2 in Italy never happened, or that rich corporations or governments never take advantage of their OWN people in scientific experiments.

They claim that these beliefs make us feel better? Yeah if you like knowing that cold blooded psychopaths get away with murder in labs or in public I don't think it make me happy to know that at all, in fact most people are viscerally opposed to knowing anything contrary to what any socially constructed authority thinks.

Voodoo Government Lapdogs

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So this guy has the inside scoop on everything huh?

You think he got all of that information from the aliens or from his fairy god mother.

I'm not spending money on that book.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Or you can go read "Culture of Conspiracy", or any of the other hundreds of books about the same subject.

Problem is, each of them is nothing but someone's opinion (much as conspiracy theory often is) with no backing or feasable attempt at providing actual fact in their arguments.

Just another attempt to make a buck.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
For the sake of argument, lets say that on 9/11, 19 hijackers flew into the World Trade Center buildings and no one outside of their group knew of the plot. THAT IS STILL A CONSPIRACY.

The government admits to Operation Northwoods. That was a conspiracy.

Almost everyday you hear of big Pharma covering up the results of drug studies. That is a conspiracy.

There is an old saying, "Every profession is a conspiracy against the laity."

For someone to say that conspiracies do not exist, They are making themselves the Grand Marshall in the ignorance parade.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
thank you for the posts. now this would be an interesting idea. someone [on here?] could buy the book and go through the ENTIRE work and correct the 'misrakes' and send it to the BBC programme i saw the author be interviewed on and perhaps even appear to rebuke. the BBC does allow the right to reply.in fact,they even have/had a show called 'right to reply'. what i didnt like about him and the idea behind the book,is that people who have differing ideas about the world are 'a bit funny and to be laughed at'.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
should read "mistakes"!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Does it really matter who writes what?

This book will sit on the shelf next to the Nostrodamous books in the bargain bin area. No one will bother reading it and you guys can still have your conspiracies.

You guys like to prove people wrong, but as soon as someone tries and prove you wrong they are sheep and are automatically dismissed as a dis info agent.

I don't get it.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Some person publishing a book is only different to making a post on this site in a few subtle ways:

1. It's on paper
  2. It's usually a bit longer than most posts
  3. 'ignore' doesn't work

apart from that, its not that different than a post on here.

If he is claiming there are no conspiracies, then I have one word for him. Watergate

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
watergate..exactly. plus the good old gut feeling. of course the assumption of the skeptic is "i am normal i DONT HAVE TO prove this". so,anyone up for that rebuke?

new topics

top topics

join