It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands beaten, raped in Irish reform schools

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Something tells me, that this does not bode well for any religion. I know a friar for the appisticals, and what he told me, I agree with. Actions like that does more damage for all churchs than just the Catholic church. A priest should never violate the trust of his position by doing such, as it gives all who are religious in nature, and who are priests, a bad name, sowing the seeds of distrust. Too many times people who are religious leaders tend to abuse that position.
All it does it just force people away from religion and belief.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
All you catholics out there.............

Is it okay to ruin a kids life so that a priest who vowed celibacy can get his need met?

If so then you are no better than the perpetrator, IMO

Sorry.. Non-practicing Catholic here reminding you that this is not just a catholic problem.. this happens in every organised religion and every walk of life with every dozen or so men.

I recently read a book that detailed how on average, one out of ten/twelve men over 25 is attracted to children, out of that number, one out of ten/twelve is a situational child molestor and out of that number, one in ten/twelve views molesting as a necessity and becomes a calculating sexual deviant.

How many of those were in the priesthood?

How many of those are in positions of power all over the world?

How many of those live in your town?

[edit on 21/5/09 by Dermo]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Very good point made.

And I would like to apologize to people of the Catholic faith who do not condone such behavior.

There are many people in the world who choose religion because they want the world to be a better place. It surely is not the fault of the many for the choices of a few.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the people of faith who have to put up with these wolves in sheeps clothing, a lot of the time they use the Bible as a way into a society that looks after kids. I doubt it has anything to do with the Bible saying its okay to marry 9 year old girls if you see what I mean from the Christian perspective.

"4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the Grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only LORD God, and our LORD Jesus Christ... 8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities" (Jude 4, 8).

Text

"3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not... 18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error" (2Peter 2:3, 18).

Text

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

Religion has some good ideas, the problem is a very corruptible
element is put in charge of the whole planet.

Numerous leaders of many countries and religions all end the same way.

Scum seek and thrive off power and control, and the meek do not
seek power and just wish to live out their lives.

So when you see those who seek positions of influence and power
always question their motives.

Their needs to be MUCH more transparency of government and religion
so we can at least try to avoid the same mistakes we keep making
over and over for centuries.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join