It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands beaten, raped in Irish reform schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
More of the abuse of children from the church and it's representatives.

DUBLIN – A fiercely debated, long-delayed investigation into Ireland's Roman Catholic-run institutions says priests and nuns terrorized thousands of boys and girls in workhouse-style schools for decades — and government inspectors failed to stop the chronic beatings, rapes and humiliation

Nine years in the making, Wednesday's 2,600-page report sides almost completely with the horrific reports of abuse from former students sent to more than 250 church-run, mostly residential institutions. But victims' leaders said it didn't go far enough — particularly because none of their abusers were identified by name

It amazes me that a report could be nine years in the making, how many more suffered during this long period of time when it could have been avoided?

The leader of Ireland's 4 million Catholics, Cardinal Sean Brady, and religious orders at the center of the scandal offered immediate apologies.

Yeah, I bet they are sorry, they got caught!

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

But the commission said its fact-finding — which included unearthing decades-old church files, chiefly stored in the Vatican, on scores of unreported abuse cases from Ireland's industrial schools — demonstrated that officials understood exactly what was at stake: their own reputations.

It wasn't just their reputations at stake, but the lives and emotional well being of those children in their care.

This type of ongoing abuse of power seems to never go away within the confines of the system of the Catholic Church.

I suppose I will never understand.

The commission dismissed as implausible a central defense of the religious orders — that, in bygone days, people did not recognize the sexual abuse of a child as a criminal offense, but rather as a sin that required repentance.

It is in fact a Criminal offense, why can't they understand that???

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think its a disgrace and brings Ireland into bad area.

Only last week I was discussing the abuse by Priests with someone who had been abused.

He cited a case of a friend of his who had been abused and sued. He felt that if he received money then it might help the suffering he was put through. Give him the freedom to take a holiday etc , to just get away for a while. It didnt work and after years of counselling he suffers from severe depression and a wrecked family life.

My friend didnt pursue anything after seeing the effect of his friend. He still suffers everyday but manages to survive.

The worst part is that the Bishops turned a blind eye to all this over the years. If a priest was reported for abuse then he was sent to another parish or somewhere overseas. We have seen cases of this happen in America by Irish priests.

I feel very strongly on this subject as Religion in Ireland controlled everything. The family, sport, politics and all the people and created their narrow minded view on a wide range of subjects.

These Priests should be punished severly and let it be an example for ALL people who prey on the innocence of children from a position of authority!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My next door neighbour was a member of the Survivors, I think thats what she called it if I remember rightly.

I ended up doing alot of work on their house, and I got to know her and her husband, over the years they let me into their confidence, so I know second hand about the abuse.

She still had anxiety attacks at 50 from what had happened to her at 13. Her husband told me when her family found out they literally kidnapped her from the home she was in and sent her to England.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
These places were concentration camps for children and backed by the Government at the time. Its sick that they are still shoving this under the carpet..

Its no surprise that noone has any respect for the Church anymore in this country.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
says priests and nuns terrorized thousands of boys and girls in workhouse-style schools for decades — and government inspectors failed to stop the chronic beatings, rapes and humiliation.

interestedalways, I tried to post something properly here about what I read there, some “wise” words, but I can’t.
There are no words for such unbelievable disgusting human behaviour.
Its impossible to imagine what those victims, those young boys and girls must have endured in that period of there lives and how destructive these events must have bin for the rest of there lives.

SHAME.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I do not understand why the victims of child abuse have not gotten together to file a class action lawsuit. With all the victims, they could bankrupt the corrupt criminal enterprise masquerading as a religion.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It makes you wonder: how many Catholic institutions are still spreading this level of maltreatment around the world? The Catholic Church has built outposts in nearly every country on the planet, usually working "for the good of the sick and the poor"--that is, the voiceless. I've worked at and visited Catholic institutions in third-world countries, and they have ranged from very good to absolutely atrocious. The trouble is, the many subjects who suffer under meager (at best) or harmful (at worst) care typically have no means of fighting back. Catholicism has been a scourge upon the earth, and no amount of whitewashing or earnest excuses by truly good adherents will change that. I'm astonished by the fact that Catholics aren't renouncing the Church right and left. It's absolutely shameful.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I also want to point out the complicity of the Irish government. They handed the children over the the Church, allowing that horrific institution to run the lives of not only the children directly affected but the entire populace. Even now, though they admit wrongdoing and present a remorseful visage, the government has done little to actually punish those who stand accused. The victims are offered a small amount of money for compensation (how much is a terrorised childhood worth?), but cannot accept it without forfeiting their right to sue the Church or state.

The article mentions previous lawsuits brought against church members, but nothing about the efficacy of those. Does anyone know if a victim has sued successfully? I'll see if I can find that out. I seem to remember a few "successful" cases...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
The victims are offered a small amount of money for compensation (how much is a terrorised childhood worth?), but cannot accept it without forfeiting their right to sue the Church or state.

Exactly.. its a joke. at the moment, the Church still holds some sort of social sway over the older members of society here and until they die off or get too old to be in power (10 years), the Church will never be put in a position where those specific and high powered members will be tried for what they are.. abusers and sexual deviants.

At least the Church has no sway over political decisions by government anymore.. only over the moral choices people make which influence their political choices. And much of that comes from historic injustices where the Church was the only shoulder for the Irish to cry on.

Just for the record, though I am not religious, I still have respect for many of those in the priesthood etc as I have seen the good work many of them have done. Its unfortunate that this is completely undermined by twisted and perverted individuals that were shoved into the priesthood because they were "different" and therefore viewed as having a "vocation".. and not being homosexual or deviant.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I do not understand why the victims of child abuse have not gotten together to file a class action lawsuit. With all the victims, they could bankrupt the corrupt criminal enterprise masquerading as a religion.

because many are dead.

Of the old ones left, or their families.....well people didn't talk about stuff "like that." So there is no proof anymore. The proof was dead and buried. When they were alive, it was their own fault. They were poor. Their parents didn't care. How dare they question the help they got - how rude. Have another beating. They must have done something to deserve it anyways. They should be thankful that anyone cared at all about them.

Please do not assume I'm assuming. My grandmother was raised by some vicious Nuns, and this was her type of talk. My g-g-grandfather was one of the children in these places that was then shipped to Canada in the 1880s. The church won't give us any of our familes records, because of THIS and every other record has been destroyed.

[edit on 2009/5/20 by Aeons]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thanks for those of you who have taken a moment to responed aka, care.

What often happens is we build a shell of apathy, as in "oh, that" "yeah, I know, it sucks"

Well that isn't good enough and the money that will be offered will not (as a previous poster mentioned) buy back a childhood.

The damage has been done and it still being done. I mean c'mon..........Nine years to make a friggen report???

I recently watched a movie called "Doubt" that is representing another version, that from a Nun in a Catholic school, and by the end of the movie I was almost convinced that what was happening was acceptable!!! In the movie is was portrayed that the individual, the child was not making it in the class and at the school but the priest was "taking him under his wing" and making an otherwise bad existence better. The mother of the child even implied that the "trade off" was worth it. The child would have a better education and the other kids would leave him alone, (since the priest was showing favor).

My God, it is just wrong to rob a young person who in many cases, like I assume to be the case in this "reform" school of their time of innocence, or at least if not innocence the time for them to be free of predators.

Many times these children are removed from "incompetent" parents only to be victimized by other who don't have the child's welfare at heart.

Personally I think a kid is better with a jacked up parent than a jacked up substitute, at least when the parent is able to love their child.

I don't know, it isn't a perfect world, but somethings............

We just can't keep turning a blind eye to and saying it is someone else's problem, our future is our children and they don't deserve to be objects of someone else's sexual desire nor to be the dog in "kick the dog" types of mentality.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this type of abuse has endured for decades. Ever heard of the heartbreaking history of The Magdalenes? These were Irish women and girls who were forced into what are essentially labor camps and obscenely abused. The reasons for their enslavement would range from bearing a child out of wedlock, to leaving an abusive husband and thus shaming their families.

It is the story of thousands of Ireland's women...judged "sinners" by the cruel Church-driven society of the 1800's through present day. Their crime? Bearing children out of wedlock...leaving abusive husbands or home situations. The punishment? A lifetime of "penitence" spent in the service of the Sisters of Charity, Mercy, Good Shepherd or other orders, performing domestic chores...harsh, thankless chores such as laundering prison uniforms, cooking, cleaning and caring for elderly nuns or their aging peers, still trapped behind the walls of Ireland's numerous convent laundries, industrial schools and the like.

They are "The Magdalenes," ironically called after Mary the Magdalene, who served her Jesus loyally and was rewarded with his forgiveness and love. No such rewards exist for these "penitents." They were told to forever hide their shame inside these walls, work under harsh, spartan conditions, driven unmercifully by the sisters and often abused by them as well.

It's hard to believe that such widespread abuse against women and children can take place by those in positions of authority in this day and age.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Whilst not being raised in Ireland I was raised a Catholic in England and never once in school or church etc was there any sexual overtures etc.

The Catholic church has been responsible for some despicable acts in the past and is responsible for producing countless religious and socially repressed people.
However, I think it is grossly unfair to tar every Catholic priest, nun or teacher with the same brush, the vast majority of them are well intentioned and honourable people, (be it slightly misguided!)

I would also like to say that I do not condone the actions of the evil monsters who carried out these horrific acts and the full weight of Irish law should be thrown at them

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I also don't condemn the entire church for the discrepancies of some, I was going to say a "few" but with this church it seems to be a recurring acceptable practice to look the other way while the people who have taken vows of celibacy instead of being celibate prey on young children, especially boys.

This is not celibacy, it is pedophilia and homosexuality.

It is so sad that those who use god as a tool for sex are moved from church to church in the continual, "look the other way" method for sexual gratification under the guise of the church are getting away with it.

A young child with awe and reverence for the church in their eyes are used for an old (or young) man's sexual perversion is just sickening.

It needs to stop!!!

The church is taking a hard hit over all this, and they deserve it.

All you catholics out there.............

Is it okay to ruin a kids life so that a priest who vowed celibacy can get his need met?

If so then you are no better than the perpetrator, IMO

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Hate to break this to you, but sexual abuse by religious authority figures occurs in all religious groups. Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Pentecostals, Mormons, Protestants, etc... In short, it's not a strictly Catholic thing.

Just saying.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

You are sooooo sooooo right.

Not good to lose the focus and identify a "group" as the abusers of power.

It runs rampant in any institution. Be it religion, or otherwise.

Not good to see others as above ourselves, makes for the game of "if I please you" my life will be better.

Fallacy.............

I remember as a young girl in my Mom's church of choice as about 9, (Mormon) the Sunday school teacher was very happy to take me out for an ice cream cone and tell me "how purty" I was.

Barf..............

No surprise I was later excommunicated~~~

hahaha~

Guess I wasn't good enough for a snack after church~

[edit on 20-5-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is a clear example of the human dark heart, it has spread like a disease. Our greed, our lust for power and control over people, this is a fine example of how low it can and does go. There are many examples of just how pathetic as a race we really are. We debate whether torture is good or bad! We are lost.

This is not just Ireland, it's worldwide.

Would it be a bad thing if our civilized society collapsed? When the ones trusted to guide and protect can do these things, and the ones who govern them take so long to respond.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The only reason the Catholic Church decided to relent, to give a moment's care, is that all of this has hit them where it hurts the most.

Their pocket book.

This should be noted by all the other people being abused in other institutions. Hit them where it hurts, hit them where they care. Not in their hope for salvation. Not in their compassion. Not in their love for God. Hit them in The bank account.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Sad but true, isn't it?

Public exposure doesn't seem to deter this kind of behavior one bit.

I guess it is acceptable among the ranks.

Just as in any cult, those who hold positions of power seem to think the sex and at times violence is a perk!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join