It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Motors E7: New Toy of the Police State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Carbon Motors was started by former Ford executives and a former Bear Stearns executive. One of those companies is bankrupt and gone, the other is losing millions of dollars a month. How much faith would you place in the leadership abilities of these men?

The Advisory Board includes former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge. Ridge is also the CEO of his own company Ridge Global, a consulting firm. A blurb on their website states:

Ridge Global provides strategic consulting services that advance the security and economic interests of businesses and governments worldwide.

Cue in the E7. A purpose-built squad car boasting a number of high tech systems. The list of features include armored front doors and dashboards (capable of stopping 9-mm rounds) and forward-looking infrared cameras (FLIR), license plate recognition camera, a WMD sniffer machine in the trunk, and head up display. The price tag for such a vehicle: $70,000+

Does law enforcement need this type of vehicle? Especially in these economic hard times, it seems to me like this is overkill to some extent. Then again, with the government anticipating having to deal with "domestic terrorists," I wouldn't be surprised if police forces across the US start rolling out these urban armoured surveillance vehicles. Is Carbon Motors just trying to capitalize on the current atmosphere of fear to make a buck?

Ridge Global will be advancing the interests of business and government. Who is advancing the interests of the population?

What are your thoughts on this?

The E7 would go from 0 to 60 mph in 6 seconds, with a top speed of 155 mph, and a slew of humble-sounding improvements, like seats that can accommodate radios and other bulky equipment. According to Li, the E7 would start in the high-20s, climbing up to as much as $70,000 with options like license-plate-reading cameras and even WMD sensors. In the long run, the E7 could prove more cost-effective than current patrol cars: Carbon Motors claims it will be 40 percent more fuel efficient, with a life span of 250,000 miles (most models used as police cars are expected to last for 70,000 miles).

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Even though I hate looking in my rear view and seeing a cop almost more than anything on this planet, I think it would be kind of cool to see that thing following me with it's light flashing.

I'd be expecting Robocop to step out of the driver seat as well.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
What with so many people believing we are headed for martial law, I thought this would get more play. I guess maybe it's old news.

I'll bump it once just in case it got missed.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I bet this is where a lot of that stimulus money is really going. Nothing like having freakier more futuristic and more intimidating squad cars out there to suppress the public.

new topics

top topics

join