It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Will the World Do with More Search Engines?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

www.time.com...

Microsoft says it will introduce its new search engine within the next few days. The world's largest software company has called the project "Kumo." It may change that name before the public sees it. Yahoo! (YHOO) and Google (GOOG) seem like odd names for search engines, but those choices never seemed to affect their success. Another company recently launched a search product called Wolfram Alpha. At least in the case of this software, the inventor, Stephen Wolfram, put his name on it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on Wed, May 20th 2009 by Djarums]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I guess the more resources we have hand can make our life either easier or much more difficult. I myself feel that google has way too much power over the internet, something like MS had achieved in the 90's. We all know that google and u.s. are in close relationship in more way than one. The ability to track individual people the moment they use the search engine is far from a fantasy. I guess we all need to ask ourselves, "where is it all leading to"

(visit the link for the full news article)

*** Sorry people, my browser quit on me as i was pressing post, obviously it all went crazy, maybe because i slammed Google. ***

[edit on 20-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
We definetly dont need another one. Theres already tons. Im perfectly fine with google. What the heck are they thinking.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
People who currently use Google will still be using Google. Those that don't use Google for privacy reasons or whatever certainly wouldn't be using Microsoft's one. Another waste of money for Microsoft just like their last Live Search.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think they want a piece of the pie because AI research could be connected with a public search engine where the AI intelligens can learn?

Look at the AI Intelligence Google is building up now with Darpa, they have also scanned in & indexed almost every book there is, so that the AI have something to read

Microsoft have a very cool search engine for searching pictures/photos from the internet already, so I guess they want to expand that now?

I will definitely try out the MS search engine!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Also, I didnt know google tracked what you were searching. Im not suprised about it at all, but was not aware of that. Do they track EVERYONE? If you were to search "How to Hijack a plane" would you get the governent on your a**?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Competition is always a good thing. It drives innovation, and prevents monopolistic power games.

I was really disappointed with Google over their agreeing to allow censorship and other violations of privacy. I would absolutely change search engines in a heart beat as long as it provided good service. Not that I dislike Google today, I still do like them, but I would do my best to make censorship less profitable for them. Companies tend to respond only to the bottom line, and even though one of Google's "prime directives" is "Dont be evil, " the love of money is turning them evil.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Don't be evil" is the informal corporate motto (or slogan) of Google,[1] originally suggested by Google employees Paul Buchheit[2] and Amit Patel[3] at a meeting. Buchheit, the creator of Gmail, said he "wanted something that, once you put it in there, would be hard to take out," adding that the slogan was "also a bit of a jab at a lot of the other companies, especially our competitors, who at the time, in our opinion, were kind of exploiting the users to some extent."

"Don't be evil" is said to recognize that large corporations often maximize short-term profits with actions that destroy long-term brand image and competitive position. By supposedly installing a Don't Be Evil culture, the corporation establishes a baseline for decision making that can enhance the trust and image of the corporation that outweighs short-term gains from violating the Don't Be Evil principles.

While many companies have ethical codes to govern their conduct, Google claims to have made "Don't Be Evil" a central pillar of their identity, and part of their self-proclaimed core values.[4] In 2006, when Google declared their self-censorship move into China, their "Don't be evil" motto was somewhat replaced with an "evil scale" balancing systems allowing smaller evils for a greater good, as explained by CEO Eric Schmidt at the time.[5]

I disagree with their sliding scale idea. I think it was just plain evil. In that, they have tarnished their own image, and even more so because they clearly knew that it was evil. As a consumer, I hold a grudge. Doesnt mean I wont use a product, but it does mean that there is no longer any "brand loyalty" from me as a consumer.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
Also, I didnt know google tracked what you were searching. Im not suprised about it at all, but was not aware of that. Do they track EVERYONE? If you were to search "How to Hijack a plane" would you get the governent on your a**?

I had no idea either until a few months ago. After finding out I logged into my gmail account from the main Google.com homepage and it gave me a list of EVERY website and EVERY single thing I've searched and accessed from Google since 2007 and counting. They did this without my permission, but it is fairly easy to disable to feature. But yeah by default it is turned on.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
Do they track EVERYONE? If you were to search "How to Hijack a plane" would you get the governent on your a**?

They do not, if you mean Google. However if you mean "They" as in NSA then yes they do and yes they would if they perceived you as a threat.
It's no conspiracy. In the AT&T headquarters, just below the floor with all the servers that have every e-mail, phone call, and text message that you send and receive, there is more computers that are owned by NSA that receive a DIRECT MIRROR COPY of what AT&T is receiving.

Their computers pick up special keywords to do with political figures, terrorism threats, certain locations, and instances where all of those are in the one e-mail or call and then they are saved so that a human can go through them and see what context they were mentioned.

edit: I should add.. it was illegal for them to do this to American citizens before 9/11 and it was mainly started for terrorism threats from overseas. Since 9/11 a law was passed that allows them to spy on the US citizens as well. These are people that the Government denied existence of back in the day.

[edit on 21/5/09 by Nventual]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I dont think we need any more. i use google every single day and will always. The government shouldnt need to see what people want to see. if beastiality is their thing then so be it we dont need to know that. Not one person has privacy these days and partly because of google with their street view showing a majority of all our houses except mine due to that i live on a hill away from the road lol but who cares? But i guess the celebrity houses are no where near any of those right? we just dont need more mayhem of search engines trying to make your toolbar theirs to look for stuff when google will always be the best

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I think soon search engines will be voice activated.

One will just have to announce the title of a song, and it will play for them!

join