It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real truth about the GIVE act.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
There has been a lot of talk lately about the so-called GIVE act, or HR1388. I have seen a lot of people speaking about it as though they are stating fact, discussing the MANDATORY community service it entails, as well as the Hitler-youth like aspects of it. I haven't seen anyone actually provide any proof or reference that backs up these claims, yet people speak as though they are positive that they know what the bill entails.

Several times on ATS I have called someone out and asked them to back up their words with some proof, and never have I been given that proof. I'm hoping that this thread will put an end to the use of HR133 being used as a talking point on these boards to slander our current President and his administration. If you want to criticize the leaders of this nation, that's fine. However, on ATS, we should do that with facts and not assumptions.

Anyway, here is the link, from Snopes, discussing the actual purpose and language of HR1388.

www.snopes.com...

I would love to quote some of the more relevant points from the Snopes article, but Snopes does not allow copy-pasting from their site.

Now if anyone would like to discuss how HR1388 is a waste of taxpayer dollars, or how it diminishes the volunteer work done by those who do not benefit from this bill, that would be fine. Let's stop with the blatant mis-truths though.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Just watch the video remember they said these words in a serious tone I might add as well, he said WW2 draft, that sounds kooky, but he said it.

Also he said to not let the "crisis go to waste"! Sounds pretty Machiavellian to me.

And of course he wants t otake guns away from people that they "claim" are terrorists, which means pretty much whoever they say, already over a million now would not be able to own a gun in his fary land reality.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bubbabuddha

That last video made me rage. What a TERRIBLE choice of wording. "Maybe a Possible..." He needs to have a speech writer clean up this mess. Could, why not, might as well. Disarm everyone and that will ensure that the evil terrorists will not have access to guns. Might as well water board everyone to make sure no one is hiding anything.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Well, to me he just looks like a crook that understands that by disarming decent people then the crooks and police basically tak over whatever city follows through on banning them next, nevermind that the Supreme Court claims we have a right to own a gun in WDC, they still behave as if the right to own guns has something to do with hunting and not preventing dictatorship.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bubbabuddha

Yeah I completely agree. I HATE hunting. I do not want to shoot an animal although I support other peoples right to do it. Heck I am such a nice guy I capture a bee inside my house with a piece of paper and a plastic cup and set it free outside. Although I crush mosquito's with extreme prejudice. And I eat meat.

I want to keep my guns for armed revolution. I want to be like my founding fathers who started this country. If the need so arises I want to be prepared.

How did that turn into domestic terrorism? I am just not getting it. This No Fly watch list stuff turning into gun banning is NOT a good step to take.

It is WAY too close to a no fly watch list taking existing guns away from people on the list.

A list that you can not know why you are on it is so so so scary.

Here is something that I found from our handy friend Wikipedia.

"In October 2008, it was revealed that Maryland State Police classified 53 nonviolent political activists as terrorists, and entered their names and personal information on the terrorist watch list.[40] Also, protest groups were entered as terrorist organizations. During a hearing, it was revealed that these individuals and organizations had been placed on the list because of their opposition to the death penalty and the Iraq war.".

Sauced from

en.wikipedia.org...

FFFFAAAGGGHHH! What is to stop a Three Letter Agency from putting someones name on the list because the are opposed to this list?

"Why are you taking my guns?"

"Because you are on the No Fly List."

"Why am I on the list?"

"We can't tell you but it is probably because you protested against the list."

FFFFAAAAGGGGHJHHHHJH!!!!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
OK, I'll bite. First I have not forgotten the words from the videos in the above post. Do you think they have just decided to change their mind? Not me

The original H.R. 1388 bill had the following and amended and re amended it several times before finally making it another bill all together. H.R. 1444.

my thought is they were trying too much too fast so the sugarcoated it into another study to analyze the effects of mandatory service. I have my suspicions that the findings will give the go ahead. Here is clips from H.R. 1444

To establish the Congressional Commission on Civic Service to study methods of improving and promoting volunteerism and national service, and for other purposes.

(a) General Purpose- The purpose of the Commission is to gather and analyze information in order to make recommendations to Congress to--

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Source

edit to add: From H.R. 1388

‘‘(B) service-learning is a mandatory part of the curriculum in all of the secondary schools served by the local educational agency.

Love this part of 1388 too

‘‘(vi) the repair, renovation, or rehabilitation of an existing infrastructure facility including, but not limited to, rail, mass transportation, ports, inland navigation, schools and hospitals;

Only time will tell.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by timewalker]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well as far as freedom goes MAryland ranks almost dead last next to New Jersey and New York in a new study that was recently done. I honestly think it makes sense to me, having grown up in Michigan the people in MD will put up with so much corruption and taxes and happily get nothing in return as well, you can see the stats here.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Thanks for actually replying ON TOPIC!

I just wanted to address the issue of people using 1388 like some magic bullet on these boards. People were talking like it was an absolute fact that every school kid was already signed up for 100 hours of community service due to this bill.

I know that many high schools require a few hours of service in order to get your diploma already, and no one is up in arms about that. That's another topic entirely, though.

I understand your concerns and I appreciate what you have brought to the discussion. In regards to service-learning becoming a mandatory part of the curriculum in schools, is this really a bad thing? What this comes down to is that kids will have to sit for an hour or two and listen to someone tell them about different ways in which they might improve the community that they live in. I would be proud of my son if he decided to volunteer some of his time when he's old enough. Nothing wrong with the schools giving these kids some good ideas, as long as that's all the curriculum is.

Remember what JFK asked of us, during his inaugural address.

new topics

top topics

join