It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daming Report of Abuse in Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Damming Report of Abuse in Ireland

news.bbc.co.uk

An inquiry into child abuse at Catholic institutions in Ireland has found that sexual abuse was "endemic" in boys' institutions.

It also found physical and emotional abuse and neglect were features of institutions.

Schools were run "in a severe, regimented manner that imposed unreasonable and oppressive discipline on children and even on staff".
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Once again the Catholic Church comes into question. When will the catholic church accept responsibility for the abuse children have went through. These who are found to be involved should ex- communicated. Trialed and imprisoned.

It is an absolute disgrace, that the church has went out of its way to cover this up.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The bulk of the article, including the stats they provided, had nothing to do with sexual abuse, it was emotional and physical. To me it reads like they added the phrase sexual abuse to grab peoples attention. Were Catholic schools oppressive, yes and that is why many students went there. I knew quite a few parents that sent their children (in the US) for this purpose, to correct behavioral issues. I know the school I went to used corpral punishment until at least 1990, after that I don't remember anyone receiving a slap or a ruler, but I can't remember if it was a legal issue or not. I went to Catholic school and I never was hit, I behaved myself, sure if you didn't move quickly enough you might get your ear pulled, but in my case it wasn't it wasn't an issue.

Yes, it is a shame on the church for covering up the sexual abuse that did occur, but at least here, there has been an over reporting by people that were simply hoping to collect money off of a false story. If you look at the stats of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church vs. other religions or sects it isn't any higher, it just seems to be more interesting.

www.reformation.com...
This site is dedicated to reporting sexual crimes of children by various Christian denominations, it is not a problem inherent to Catholics.

join