It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darvaz: The Door to Hell

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Darvaz: The Door to Hell

englishrussia.com

This place in Uzbekistan is called by locals “The Door to Hell”. It is situated near the small town of Darvaz. The story of this place lasts already for 35 years. Once the geologists were drilling for gas. Then suddenly during the drilling they have found an underground cavern, it was so big that all the drilling site with all the equipment and camps got deep deep under the ground. None dared to go down there
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.h4ppy.com

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I had never heard of this before and searched on ATS but didn't find a thread, so I apologize if it has already been discussed.

I find it really interesting that they discuss an underground cavern, that according to what I read, is extremely vast.

Anyone know anything about this? Any ideas on what type of gas this is, and why they would just burn it? I wonder what the cavern was originally used for, and how long it had been there.

Here's another description (the link is above -- the paragraph about Darvaz is the fifth from the top).

"Then Darvaz. ... Hell on Earth. Used to be a mining town, then there was an ENORMOUS gas explosion (the crater is more than 30 metres across and almost twice as deep) so the Soviets pulled out. Now there are just people living in houses in the shadow of rusting industrial equipment and Soviet vehicles with no tyres. And the wind blows. And there's no food or water - everything has to be driven in from the south (more than a day's drive) or the north (about a
day's drive). And the wind blows. And there did not appear to be anything to do - no jobs, no tourism, no industry. And the wind blows. And blows. And blows sand over, under, round and through everything. Houses full of sand, bread full of sand, eyes, fingernails and hair full of sand, cameras full of sand, teeth full of sand. But they still live there, and some of them say they
don't want to move - they like it there. A kind of localised patriotism of the highest degree. Admirable in a way, but I cannot see the attraction myself."

englishrussia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-5-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
WOAH! The story is one thing but when you see the pictures of this thing... It's quite beautiful. Does anyone know the Google Map co-ordinates or can anyone find it? I'd really like to see it on there.

Staggering to think it's been burning for 35 years, wonder how much gas has gone?

Nice find OP.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Wow,

Amazing videos etc, good find,

You will I am sure find this thread interesting:Kazakhstan The Most Important Country on Earth?

Very close by.

I will link this thread and the photo's there.

Unusual for a geological formation to have gas and apparent magma together indeed.

In the article it seems to state the original drillers and workers all fell into the pit?

Kind regards,

Elf.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
WOW! This reminds me of the Silent Hill series.. There was not gas, but coal.. Non the less the story is very similar

Maybe the creators of the game knew about this?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'll say.. this one possibly, the best post i've ever read on this site

Those pics are like wow !! I've never seen anywhere fit the decription of hell better than that

I didnt see any lava, which makes it just more spectacular

wow... yeah i'd love to see this on google earth..

and i wonder if there is any more info on it, like depth of the cavern and all cause i didnt see anything resembleing chared equipment in there.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC
WOAH! The story is one thing but when you see the pictures of this thing... It's quite beautiful. Does anyone know the Google Map co-ordinates or can anyone find it? I'd really like to see it on there.

Staggering to think it's been burning for 35 years, wonder how much gas has gone?

Nice find OP.

The coords-

40*00'44.48"N by 66*32'49.35"E or just enter Darvaz,Uzbekistan in the search on G.E.

The satelite image is very poor quality for that immediate area.

I did download the image in my profile page under 'my pictures'. Haven't quite figured out how to post it here and didn't want to try to hard in fear of messing up this thread.

edit- listed as Darvaz,Uz in 'my pictures'.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by geo1066]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
35 years? I feel saddened that so much money have gone up in smoke.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is pretty incredible. Kinda gives me chills when looking over into this pit. Doesn't matter how much money is being burned up? It's in the middle of nowhere

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

I keep looking at various satellite photos of the area and it always (so far as I've seen) looks distorted. In none of the pictures did it appear as a huge burning crater. Which is what is it. I wonder if they found something down there that caused them to set in ablaze. It doesn't seem logical that they would say, ummmm, lots of gas, lets set it on fire and see what happens.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Well thought out. It does make you think what would cause them to just "set it on fire."

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wouldn't that have an effect on global warming?nice post interesting!

[edit on 20-5-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
its interesting, but one thing tho, anyone know exactly where that hell hole is situated in? cuz i gots relatives in Uzbekistan and i could ask them to go check that hole out.
[edit on 20-5-2009 by marsvolta]

[edit on 20-5-2009 by marsvolta]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marsvolta

here are the coordinates. PLEASE HAVE THEM GO CHECK IT OUT. I wonder if they are already familiar with it. It seems to be quite known amongst locals.

40*00'44.48"N by 66*32'49.35"E

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
MADNESS!

really though pretty scary stuff.

the pictures made me pee a little.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Wow.

That's strangely beautiful and a bit scary at the same time.
They lit that to stop poisonous gas escaping? And it's been burning ever since.

All I can respond with it wow.
Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I was in the voice chat of a rival conspiracy site the other night, and one of the members brought this up. I made the comment that someone needs to put a big tea kettle on top of it, make some steam, and turn a steam turbine to make some electricity.

It is truly a scary thing. Maybe it really is the door to Hell.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Sigh...hell does not exist. It's a natural wonder yes. I see nothing scary about it. It's awesome!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
awesome pictures, seems like a neat place to visit

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Not really hell is it ?

Iceland has some pretty decent volcanos as does maui - never heard them called "a glimpse into hell"

Still you meet all sorts on here

top topics

<<   2 >>

join