It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panel votes to investigate 'Extremism' report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Panel votes to investigate 'Extremism' report

www.washingtontimes.com

Democrats on a key House panel joined Republicans in a unanimous vote calling for a formal inquiry into the Homeland Security Department to determine how a contentious report that described military veterans as possible recruits for radical extremists was developed and distributed.

In a rare bipartisan manner, the House Homeland Security Committee agreed to a resolution of inquiry that calls for Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to turn over all documents used to draft the report "
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Certainly its definition of 'rightwing extremism,' which did not clarify that extremist violence was the department's true focus, raised considerable concern," Mr. Thompson said. "So did the suggestion that returning war veterans posed a potential threat to the homeland."

The full House must approve the subpoena for documents before it becomes binding. The documents must be turned over within 14 legislative days of such a vote.

Well this is good news, finally. It seems that even members of the government has issues with this report that put normal people like you and me under scrutiny. It definitely had a vague description of what "right wing extremism" would be classified as. Under that umbrella of a document it put half of the U.S. under suspicion. Maybe we ATSers aren't going to be on a list anymore? Nah, that's a little too far.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-5-2009 by timewalker]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Hopefully she will be removed of all duties.

How she got the job is beyond me.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
Maybe we ATSers aren't going to be on a list anymore? Nah, that's a little too far.

My guess is, you ATSers won't be on that list. You all aren't courageous in any way, shape or form. Get over yourselves.

The hub-ub over this report is the latest example of the pervasiveness of political correctness as well as an example of how it is not limited to certain sections of society. There is nothing that the report stated that was wrong, nor did they single out military veterans as the primary threat. In fact, not a single person has been able to even discredit any of the claims made in that report. Why? Because its all legit.

The outrage over this report is a matter of hurt feelings and politics, nothing more.

I do agree with jd140. Janet Napolitano should be removed from her post, as she lacks the backbone necessary to protect to the homeland. Instead of apologizing, she should've told all the whiners to stop blowing the report out of proportion. In addition, maybe someone who's actually dealt with left and right-wing extremists throughout his/her career, like a lifetime law enforcement official, would've been a better choice for the job.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
My guess is, you ATSers won't be on that list. You all aren't courageous in any way, shape or form. Get over yourselves.

You do realise you are an "ATSer" also right? And the fact of the matter is your wrong. We ATSers are people who do not accept the status quo. We are people who don't just sit around and take it in the bo bo from the powers that be. We are informed, and informing others, so when the time comes we will me more prepared then the average sheep.

The outrage over this report is a matter of hurt feelings and politics, nothing more.

What a close-minded response. Your ignorance was on full display there.

Peace
-E-

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Maybe we ATSers aren't going to be on a list anymore? Nah, that's a little too far.

I do agree with jd140. Janet Napolitano should be removed from her post, as she lacks the backbone necessary to protect to the homeland. Instead of apologizing, she should've told all the whiners to stop blowing the report out of proportion. In addition, maybe someone who's actually dealt with left and right-wing extremists throughout his/her career, like a lifetime law enforcement official, would've been a better choice for the job.

How do you agree with me when I didn't say any of that apart from she should be fired?

Please don't associate me with that statement. It looks as if you suffered from loose mouth syndrome.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

As a veteran of more than a 'few' armed conflicts during my 12-years in the military - who also happens to be a frequent visitor to ATS, I take exception to your attitude. I am a service-connected disabled veteran (that means I got injured serving my country - not just walking down a street) who will be heard whether you care to label me as non-courageous or otherwise.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

The hub-ub over this report is the latest example of the pervasiveness of political correctness as well as an example of how it is not limited to certain sections of society. There is nothing that the report stated that was wrong, nor did they single out military veterans as the primary threat. In fact, not a single person has been able to even discredit any of the claims made in that report. Why? Because its all legit.

That is quite a bold statement. I would beg to differ. As would many people here. This site is full of courageous people, police, firefighters, military, vets, and just your average Joe who will stand up when needed. You should have some respect, and let me remind you,YOU are a member here too. You should get over yourself. Do you fall into your own category?

Now on to the "Legit" report you speak of. Just the title should tell you something "rightwing"? As opposed to left?

(U//LES) The DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) has no specific information that domestic rightwing* terrorists are currently planning acts of violence, but rightwing extremists may be gaining new recruits by playing on their fears about several emergent issues.

no information but we should be afraid, very afraid.^

Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans likely would attract new members into the ranks of rightwing extremist groups, as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for violence against the government.

Yeah and...^

Rightwing extremist chatter on the Internet continues to focus on the economy, the perceived loss of U.S. jobs in the manufacturing and construction sectors, and home foreclosures.

This means ATS concerned citizens^

Historically, domestic rightwing extremists have feared, predicted, and anticipated a cataclysmic economic collapse in the United States.

Sounds pretty legit to me. ^

Rightwing extremist paranoia of foreign regimes could escalate or be magnified in the event of an economic crisis or military confrontation, harkening back to the “New World Order” conspiracy theories of the 1990s.

ATS ^

DHS/I&A assesses that rightwing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to exploit their skills and knowledge derived from military training and combat.

I think they have their own minds.^

Be prepared to be flamed by other members, you have disrespected them.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

seems to me a little girl needs to grow up a bit and think before she pulls hair. Yours might just be mixed up in the bundle!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
BTW over 8 years in the USMC. Call me a coward?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am really glad that this report is being scrutinized by both Republicans and Democrats, it actually gives me a little bit of hope for bipartisanship in our government.

Honestly, the whole "Right-wing extremist" part of the report was obviously done in the spirit of divisiveness, and Mrs. Napolitano's intentions were clearly partisan. I just hope that this investigation brings out her true intentions, and she is forced to resign her position.

We need a Secretary of Homeland Security who's actually going to enforce our laws and protect our country, not ignore our immigration laws and divide the country even further by labeling her political adversaries as "extremists".

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Since you registration date is 2003 I assume by seniority that YOU are the leader of the "ATSers won't be on that list. You all aren't courageous in any way, shape or form. Get over yourselves" club? That would be like Frank Burns running the 4077th

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Oh please stop your selfrighteous BS.

The first report that the DHS made under Janet Napolitano was against everyone who is a real Republican, real conservative, or who is part of any group who wants to uphold and defend the Cosntitution, the Bill of Rights, and even the Declaration of Independence, alongside people who own firearms, and want to defend this right, returning veterans, etc, etc.

Amazingly in the first report the DHS also mentions people who are afraid of Communism as being also part of this "possible terrorist list"...

The second report came later, when Napolitano and the DHS wanted to claim that they were also puting in the list people on the left. the second report was Janet Napolitano and the DHS's way of trying to hide the fact they were going after Americans who are conservatives, Real Republicans, Christians/Catholics, who own weapons, returning veterans (which for the most part always vote Republican), etc,etc.

Your claim that noone has been able to show that Janet Napolitano and the DHS were targeting the right is hilarious, and sad at the same time.

More so when the whole report was published, and we even had Judge Andrew Napolitano make statements about the DHS "Rightwing extremism" document...

[edit on 20-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I can't imagine there is much to investigate? The head of the Gestapo claims a vast number of Americans born and raised here, who have payed taxes all their lives and even fought for the country in it's foreign wars represent a clear danger to dictatorial rule.

What a surprise that we do, and that too many people would like to sweep this whole thing under the rug and make it seem as inconsequential as a Fascist State would.

The government sure spares little opportunity to terrorize it's citizenry, the common sense reality is sooner or later the citizenry is going to want to terrorize them back.

I think the Senate should investigate Government sponsored terrorism against the American people as a whole.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I see this as the steroid investigation. A lot of hype and good publicity but no bite. In the end the report will clear everyone of any wrong dealing, give pointers on how not to repeat the mistake, and cost taxpayers millions.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by jam321]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
SweatmonicaIdo makes some legitimate points.

It seems to me like even the suggestion that anyone on the right could possibly be an extremist is very upsetting to many.

The report was concerned with extremists--terrorists--not everyone on the right. People like Tim McVeigh, who blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City.

Most of the people on this thread have no problem with people on the left being called "extremists." In fact, many have no qualms about telling leftists that they hate our country--they do so often.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Maybe you're afraid that what the Bush administration did to leftists will now be done to you?

Don't get your feelings hurt so easily, and don't imagine that you're more important to the government than you really are. As SweatmonicaIdo says, get over yourselves.

new topics

top topics

join